Zone1 Cityslickers Vs. Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnieisblack

Sep 24, 2022
I buried my uncle a few years back and noticed that during the funerall procession that all the cars on the road stopped out of respect. My mom told me that's just how it is in the country, is it not like that in the city? Is it selfishness or ignorance of the proper protocol as to why city folk don't pull over and wait for it to pass?

I buried my uncle a few years back and noticed that during the funerall procession that all the cars on the road stopped out of respect. My mom told me that's just how it is in the country, is it not like that in the city? Is it selfishness or ignorance of the proper protocol as to why city folk don't pull over and wait for it to pass?

Two completely different cultures.

People in big cities always seem to have somewhere to go and they have to be there by such and such a time and that's final, so there may be some selfishness involved there. I don't really see it as disrespectful, or even ignorance. "Proper protocol" differs depending where you are...

How do you figure it's igrnorance though? Are you from the city or country?

Last time I was in Manhattan, I could spot the country folks from a mile away. They were the ones who waited for the green before crossing Madison Avenue.

New Yorkers crossed as soon as they thought they could do it without being hit by a car...

So overall you think it's more common in a small town to do the right thing?
Everyone has to make their own choice about what is RIGHT these days and far too many are too selfish to be bothered. They've become convinced at some level that everyone is always out for number one and they forget that every single one of us will suffer the pain, tragedy, and eventual end of our lives. Some of us just keep that thought closer to the front in our thinking.

I grew up with it in the south. The little town I live in has fewer than 5k people and it's still done here.
When a child in my small Midwest town died, the entire town stopped for his funeral procession and only about half of the crowd who wished to attend the funeral were able to fit inside the funeral home.

Everyone has to make their own choice about what is RIGHT these days and far too many are too selfish to be bothered. They've become convinced at some level that everyone is always out for number one and they forget that every single one of us will suffer the pain, tragedy, and eventual end of our lives. Some of us just keep that thought closer to the front in our thinking.
That reminds me of the book of Judges...that's in the bible for you leftist atheists. It was said in the days of Gideon (before he ws chosen by God to be a judge) that the people did what was right in their own eyes. Much like what we have today isn't it...and it's not working out so well either.

There are a lot of things that our grandparents used to do that we don't do anymore and don't know to do. People do what they think, don't think, don't know, don't care, whichever. It's a loss of tradition. A loss of respect. My grandmother took me as a little thing to funerals and i was expected to mind my manners and keep quiet...and i did. I recall one viewing in the family home. It was quiet, solemn and children were reserved. There was no running and jumping and carrying on. I sat there and sat quiet. Don't see too much of that anymore. Children run roughshod in even the most solemn of venues and parents don't have the will or skill to stop it.

There are a lot of things that our grandparents used to do that we don't do anymore and don't know to do. People do what they think, don't think, don't know, don't care, whichever. It's a loss of tradition. My grandmother took me as a little thing to funerals and i was expected to mind my manners and keep quiet...and i did. There was no running and jumping and carrying on. I sat there and sat quiet. Don't see too much of that anymore. Children run roughshod in even the most solemn of venues and parents don't have the will or skill to stop it.
I vividly remember knowing, as a child, when I damn well better sit still and stay quiet. It's so painful to see kids these days who haven't a clue what respectful behavior is.

One thing that used to be done all the time, but you don't see so much these days -- a couple of days after the death of my husband, my doctors, a married couple who practiced together, dropped by out of the blue with a big box. Inside was about three days worth of home cooking, a lovely flower arrangement and charming little cards and gifts, hand made by their children. Being holistic practitioners, they knew what my dietary needs were and I felt so safe and cared for knowing that all that food was made with such care and compassion. That gesture meant so much that it still brings tears, two years later.

I just think if everyone was able to feel so cared for, we'd all be a lot less angry.

I vividly remember knowing, as a child, when I damn well better sit still and stay quiet. It's so painful to see kids these days who haven't a clue what respectful behavior is.

One thing that used to be done all the time, but you don't see so much these days -- a couple of days after the death of my husband, my doctors, a married couple who practiced together, dropped by out of the blue with a big box. Inside was about three days worth of home cooking, a lovely flower arrangement and charming little cards and gifts, hand made by their children. Being holistic practitioners, they knew what my dietary needs were and I felt so safe and cared for knowing that all that food was made with such care and compassion. That gesture meant so much that it still brings tears, two years later.

I just think if everyone was able to feel so cared for, we'd all be a lot less angry.
that is very thoughtful. Be nice to go back to that wouldn't it??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back