City Orders Man To Remove Flag

Ok, I have sat by when people talk about 'property values' and decided not to put in my .02c only because I don't fee like starting the conversation.

I worked in the mortgage industry for a little over 3 years. In that time, I learned what does and does not increase proprty value because I worked with actual appraisals daily, and I just had my house done as well for our refinance.

The following improvements/changes WILL affect property value:
Type of home (single, multi-family, townhome, condo, etc)
# of bedrooms, bathrooms, and house sq footage (duh)
FINISHED inside house sq. footage
yard/land size (duh again)
location in proximity to the nearest largest metropolitan area (desirable location)
type of street home is on (cul-de-sac homes tend to fetch a larger sale price)
school district and closest school proximity
garage space and whether it is attached or not
permanent fencing
concrete driveway vs asphalt
In-ground pool and some kinds of above-ground pools (not inflatable/insta-pools)
number of trees (size and type do not come into play)
decks
remodeled/updated kitchen/bathrooms (not including appliances except bathtub)
Nearby wooded areas
Is your property on a flood plain? Fault line?
Near a golf course, park, or other rec area with wooded trails?
water features such as a pond, lake or river (garden ponds MAY count, depending on type and how 'permanent' it is)

Things that do NOT affect actual property value, only curb appeal:
New roof
new carpet
painted walls or panelled walls
new doors
gardens of any kind (this includes flagpoles which are considered a garden item)
childrens playsets
kitchen appliances
garage door opener (you wouldn't believe how many people think this affects the value)
New siding
fresh exterior paint
seamless gutters

So to argue that the flagpole brings down property value doesn't work. This has nothing to do with that.

Now as for the city telling him to take down the flagpole, they DO have the right to enforce the height of buildings and objects (even trees) on your property. This usually has to do with safety if it were ever to fall due to a storm or other reason. My city has a 'height' ordinance on things like that as well as buildings, and if you want or need to go above the limit, you have to present your case as to why, and get approval from the city.

the way I see it in the article, it wasn't the flag itself that was the problem, it was the fact this guy put a pole up that is taller than allowed-he should have checked with the city regarding this, but most people don't realize there would be such a thing. Really, it kind of is nitpicking but I also see the city's point. What if it ever fell on someone or someone else's property during a storm or other reasons? There could be serious problems.

Excellent points! I think people throw the phrase "property values" around too easily.

A flag pole does not have any positive or negative influence on an appraisal.

It will when it comes to re-sale. Then again, if someone likes your house enough, they will remove the flagpole or have you remove it before closing as a condition of the sale.

I am all for people displaying the American Flag. Make no doubt about that. I do think that if the pole is, for example, 3 feet higher than it should be, just replace the flag pole.

Ok, I have sat by when people talk about 'property values' and decided not to put in my .02c only because I don't fee like starting the conversation.

I worked in the mortgage industry for a little over 3 years. In that time, I learned what does and does not increase proprty value because I worked with actual appraisals daily, and I just had my house done as well for our refinance.

The following improvements/changes WILL affect property value:
Type of home (single, multi-family, townhome, condo, etc)
# of bedrooms, bathrooms, and house sq footage (duh)
FINISHED inside house sq. footage
yard/land size (duh again)
location in proximity to the nearest largest metropolitan area (desirable location)
type of street home is on (cul-de-sac homes tend to fetch a larger sale price)
school district and closest school proximity
garage space and whether it is attached or not
permanent fencing
concrete driveway vs asphalt
In-ground pool and some kinds of above-ground pools (not inflatable/insta-pools)
number of trees (size and type do not come into play)
decks
remodeled/updated kitchen/bathrooms (not including appliances except bathtub)
Nearby wooded areas
Is your property on a flood plain? Fault line?
Near a golf course, park, or other rec area with wooded trails?
water features such as a pond, lake or river (garden ponds MAY count, depending on type and how 'permanent' it is)

Things that do NOT affect actual property value, only curb appeal:
New roof
new carpet
painted walls or panelled walls
new doors
gardens of any kind (this includes flagpoles which are considered a garden item)
childrens playsets
kitchen appliances
garage door opener (you wouldn't believe how many people think this affects the value)
New siding
fresh exterior paint
seamless gutters

That never addressed the level of decency of the neighboring houses.

...because generally liberals hate America and life and freedom.

I bet you don't know even 1 Liberal who hates America or who hates freedom. You, Cons, are the ones sending our young men and women to die in the middle east over control of oil and power all because Chimpy told you to do it. So get down from your pretentious ivory tower (to think you call libs elitists) and realize that all Americans love America and freedom.

ps: Aren't you a mod? Why do you have such poor grammar? I thought you guys were held to higher standards that everyone else. I guess not.

I bet you don't know even 1 Liberal who hates America or who hates freedom. You, Cons, are the ones sending our young men and women to die in the middle east over control of oil and power all because Chimpy told you to do it. So get down from your pretentious ivory tower (to think you call libs elitists) and realize that all Americans love America and freedom.

ps: Aren't you a mod? Why do you have such poor grammar? I thought you guys were held to higher standards that everyone else. I guess not.

Liberals hate america - if you deny that, you aren't a liberal. Liberals love ONLY things which agree with their twisted view of reality. Free Speech? SURE! as long as THEY agree with the speech. It's pathetic - so is your attempt to criticize my grammar, which is SPOT on. I use grammar as a tool (no, not a tool like YOU are a tool, but as a method) to communicate what I'm thinking.

"Liberals hate America and life and freedom" carries with it a different tone than "Liberals hate America, life, and Freedom"

Before you start trying to be smart, a comma before 'and' is optional.

btw, since you want to be a prick, it's PS - not 'ps'. ps means "picosecond."

btw2: I'm NOT a 'mod', I'm an Admin. I thought all board members were capable of reading - I guess not.

Liberals hate america - if you deny that, you aren't a liberal. Liberals love ONLY things which agree with their twisted view of reality. Free Speech? SURE! as long as THEY agree with the speech. It's pathetic - so is your attempt to criticize my grammar, which is SPOT on. I use grammar as a tool (no, not a tool like YOU are a tool, but as a method) to communicate what I'm thinking.

"Liberals hate America and life and freedom" carries with it a different tone than "Liberals hate America, life, and Freedom"

btw2: I'm NOT a 'mod', I'm an Admin. I thought all board members were capable of reading - I guess not.

You've been exposed for poor grammar, don't deny that now.

So you're an "Admin.". That must mean you have bigger eBalls than a mod. I'm sorry oh great one.

Once again you prove your ignorance regarding Liberals. You're childish view of "Liberals" is amusing. It is scary that you can be so ignorant, because there are probably millions of other right-wing radio listeners just like you.

Ahem.

Chad....

you_got_owned_yel.gif

1. Owned

v. owned, 0wned, pwned, 0wn3d, pwn3d, own3d.

To be made a fool of; To make a fool of; To confound or prove wrong; embarrasing someone: Being embarrased.

In case you need to confirm the definition:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=owned

So, just out of devil's advocate curiousity, how big a flag should you be able to put up on your property? Where's the line?

And you can ALMOST see a picture of that flag. Almost.

You've been exposed for poor grammar, don't deny that now.

So you're an "Admin.". That must mean you have bigger eBalls than a mod. I'm sorry oh great one.

Once again you prove your ignorance regarding Liberals. You're childish view of "Liberals" is amusing. It is scary that you can be so ignorant, because there are probably millions of other right-wing radio listeners just like you.

You're pushing it. You jump on MY shit and I wasn't even talking to 'you'. But you wont let it go, even AFTER, in my reply to your 'grammar' post, I stated my case clearly. You're going to keep throwing out 'ignorant' and other insults until you get banned. Or you can be an adult. That's your choice.

For the record, My eBalls are HUGE. Seriously.

Smells like a "you're banning me because I disagree" complaint in the making; certainly has all the fixin's... :rolleyes: :laugh:

Don't laugh - you'd be RIGHT. I'd say EVER liberal who's been banned used that SAME defense:

"All I did is disagree (while calling you a motherF*ckinga$-hatbastardsh|thead!)"!!!

Gentleposters, might I remind you that while Chad engages you, he/she/it is avoiding discussion of the more recent article which I posted which effectively counters his every complaint.

Local ordinances for pole height limits the height to 20-ft, but the State Codes effectively prohibit suhc ordinances which are based solely on aesthetics - in short, if there is no qualified safety issue, then the State Codes specifically allow such structures.

Moreover, if anyone ever bother to look at the pictures of the flag and the surrounding area, they'd understand that the flag pole is nowhere near anyone's property other than properties owned by either Piffero or Hull.

Here's another picture of the flag in question, and it should be fairly obvious that the flag and pole would need to be moved a great distacne before it would be a safety hazzard for anyone other than the properrty owners.

Care to respond Chad? Or are you going to pull a Bully and run away?
http://www.news10.net/storyfull2.aspx?storyid=18925

New Topics

Forum List

Back