Dems See Wal Mart Bashing As A Winner

red states rule

May 30, 2006
Well, it seems the Dems have targeted Wal Mart as a election issue.

Is it a winner?

About as successful as gay marriage.

Over 100 million people shop Wal Mart every week, and Wal Mart is a blessing to the middle class. However, this time, Wal Mart is fighting back.

Wal-Mart takes the fight to its critics

By Jonathan Birchall and Holly Yeager

Updated: 10:12 p.m. ET Aug 16, 2006
John Edwards, Democratic vice-presidential candidate in 2004, was in Pittsburgh this month doing his bit for the party ahead of November's midterm elections to the US Congress. His agenda included addressing a rally against the shortcomings not of the Bush administration but of Wal-Mart, the country's biggest retailer and largest private-sector employer.

"Wal-Mart needs to be a more responsible employer, by offering decent wages," Mr Edwards told a crowd who had turned out to support Wake Up Wal-Mart, a campaigning group funded by the UFCW grocery workers' union that, along with others, the company staunchly refuses to recognise. Mr Edwards also attacked the company's record on health benefits, arguing that the dependence of some Wal-Mart employees on state-funded Medicare programmes meant the chain was being unfairly subsidised.

"Every consumer should know when they walk into Wal-Mart their tax dollars are going to provide healthcare for Wal-Mart workers . . . while the people who own Wal-Mart are making billions of dollars," he proclaimed. The retailer struck back immediately. A Wal-Mart official denounced the Pittsburgh event as part of "a union-funded publicity stunt that's more about politics than anything else".

Then Working Families for Wal-Mart, officially a non-profit lobbying group, hit even harder, pointing out that the former senator's family had previously held Wal-Mart shares. "Now he and other political candidates are telling working men and women that they can't save money or take jobs at Wal-Mart? This is all about special-interest politics. And that's sad," said a spokeswoman for Working Families.

This is the world of Wal-Mart, the political retailer.

Under Lee Scott, chief executive, the company has in the past year expanded beyond the usual realm of corporate lobbying to wage a fully-fledged campaign in the mainstream of American politics. "When a company is as large as ours, we're certainly going to have a lot of interaction with both politics and government," says Bob McAdam, vice-president of corporate affairs.

On Tuesday it sent 18,000 "voter education" letters to its employees in Iowa, pointing out what it said were factual errors made by politicians who had attacked the company. The group is to despatch similar letters to its staff in other states.

But Wal-Mart's embrace of some of the darker arts of US politics – it has set up a campaign-style "war room" at its Bentonville, Arkansas headquarters – also attests to the success its critics have had in turning the "big-box" retailer into a political issue at local, state and, increasingly, national level.

In January, Maryland passed a law aimed at making Wal-Mart increase the amount it spends on its workers' health benefits – a move that has led to similar legislation being proposed elsewhere. In July, in an initiative aimed at large national retailers including Wal-Mart, Chicago's city council passed an ordinance intended to raise the minimum wage for retail workers.

John Kerry, to whom Mr Edwards was running-mate, cited Wal-Mart and the family of founder Sam Walton in a speech this month on the failings of the US healthcare system. "It's unconscionable and it is unacceptable that five of the 10 richest people in America are Wal-Mart stockholders from the same family – worth double-digit billions each – but they can't find the money to secure health coverage for their own workers and their families," he complained.

Senator Byron Dorgan in his new book, Take This Job and Ship It , uses the company to illustrate what he sees as bad consequences of globalisation. He devotes a chapter to Wal-Mart's business practices in China, which he calls "the most obvious example of what has gone terribly amiss on the way to a healthy and truly free market".

For Wal-Mart, all this raises an unwelcome possibility – that it will become a focus of debate during the 2008 presidential election campaign as well, something that its union critics are eager to bring about. "It's going to be so important in the presidential cycle," says Chris Kofinis, of the Wake Up Wal-Mart campaign. "Everyone is going to talk about this issue . . . about where you stand on corporations that make $11bn a year in profits and say they can't afford to pay for healthcare for their workers."

Wal-Mart's evolving political strategy, shaped with advice and support from Edelman, the public relations consultancy, has been twofold. First, it has attacked its critics – arguing that it is the victim of an unholy alliance between Democrat lawmakers and the unions they rely on to deliver votes and campaign financing. Second, it is seeking to make the argument that the company is good for America.

It is doing this by mobilising its own political constituency, seeking alliances with local community leaders and businesses – in particular, black and Hispanic groups – that accept Wal-Mart's argument that the company helps low-income Americans by offering low prices and jobs with the prospect of advancement.

Working Families for Wal-Mart, funded mainly by the retailer, is part of both strategies. Operating with more personal animosity than might be appropriate from the company itself, it is attacking the store chain's critics. For instance, it has just launched a website called PaidCritics.com, aimed at exposing what it says are special-interest links between the anti-Wal-Mart campaign, the unions and politicians in the Democratic party (Wake Up Wal-Mart struck back with its own site – Abunch*ofgreedyrightwingliarswhoworkforwalmart.com).

Working Families has also set out to mobilise support. It is chaired by Andrew Young, the pro-business former mayor of Atlanta who served as the first black US ambassador to the United Nations. Its board includes Hispanic business figures, while its recently created state organising groups include leading black clergy.

"There's a large majority of people out there who support Wal-Mart and who have had no vehicle to voice their opinions on what they see as Wal-Mart's positive impact on their lives and on the economy," says Kevin Sheridan, Working Families campaign director and a former spokesman for the Republican National Committee.

At the same time, Wal-Mart has reorganised its own community relations operations and has announced plans for "Wal-Mart jobs and opportunity zones" in inner-city areas, aimed in part at encouraging businesses owned by people from ethnic minorities.

In an indication of the strategy's potential, the black caucus on Chicago's city council was evenly split on the move to set a minimum wage for workers in the city's big stores – with opponents saying depressed inner-city areas needed Wal-Mart's investment and tax revenues.

The vote in Chicago also highlights the risk to the Democrats of trying to use Wal-Mart's record to galvanise support in the run-up to 2008. While Mr Kerry and Mr Edwards might see Wal-Mart's low-paying jobs and healthcare record as a rallying point for voters who feel left out of the American dream, other elements of the party will take a different view – including New York's Senator Hillary Clinton, who in 1986-92 served on the board of the retailer based in Arkansas, her home state.

John Zogby, the pollster, argues that focusing too much on Wal-Mart "means no net gain", because union voters already favour the Democrats and the party must seek other support if it is to recapture the White House in 2008. "When are the Democrats going to talk to Wal-Mart shoppers?" he asks (see below left). Mr Zogby, who has done some polling work for Wake Up Wal-Mart, says Democrats still lack "a strategy that deals with Joe and Mary Middle America – and Joe and Mary Middle America are at Wal-Mart".

Polling shows that people who shop at Wal-Mart do care about human rights and worker healthcare, he adds. Democrats therefore need a more subtle message "about trouble in paradise, without carpet-bombing paradise. There are too many people who shop there".

Mr McAdam counters that the recent criticisms from the Democrats are instead tied to the party's own battles in the primaries. To win union support, candidates are prepared to deliver an anti-Wal-Mart message that will often not be carried through in the coming midterm campaign.

"There's abundant survey data that says that attacking Wal-Mart for the population as a whole is detrimental," he argues. "So if they persist in doing this as the general election approaches, they may find themselves doing more harm than good."

Wal-Mart is meanwhile taking no chances. It is pursuing a broad effort to enhance its public image, including its record on environmental sustainability. That might drive a wedge in an alliance between its union critics and environmental groups such as the Sierra Club, which have faulted the company on issues ranging from waste water management to its stores' impact on urban sprawl.

In a sign that political Wal-Mart is here to stay, Leslie Dach, a former political adviser to Al Gore's failed 2000 presidential campaign, this month becomes head of its government relations and corporate communications. Mr Dach, who will serve on the company's powerful executive committee, joins Wal-Mart from Edelman, where he became the retailer's top politics tutor.

His appointment shows just how far the chain has come, with its small army of consultants and political advisers, from the days when Sam Walton argued that if you gave the customers low prices and good service, everything else would look after itself.

Mr McAdam, who will work for Mr Dach, argues that the retailer had no choice. "I think any company that is faced by the kind of campaign-style attacks would be naive not to respond in kind. It became clear to us that, to maintain our ability to do our business, we needed to have a similar style of response."

Copyright The Financial Times Ltd. All rights reserved.
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14378757/

I've recently changed my opinion about Walmart. I now think that the company is a net benefit for America, but only just so. That being said, I think they could do better for their employees. A lot better.

I've recently changed my opinion about Walmart. I now think that the company is a net benefit for America, but only just so. That being said, I think they could do better for their employees. A lot better.

They could, but it's capitalism at work. If the company can prosper and still attract employees, then why do anything above the bare minimum for them. If people were to say, "Let's not work at Wal-Mart because they don't do enough for me to make a living", and enough people said it to the point where they need more employees than they actually have, then things will change for their workers.

But as long as their making money and the company keeps going forward (we finally have Wal-Mart here in NYC), then tough luck for whoever decides to work for them.

Wal-Mart is a blessing for the LOWER class.

I remember hearing about a Chicago city council trying to force all stores like walmart to pay a certain wage, which is BS because stores like Target (I think?) actually pay more wages than a walmart to attract the more motivated and efficient workers.

If I'm pro-capitalism and I also support welfare and other lowerclass support programs, what does that make me(politically speaking)?

Wal-Mart is a blessing for the LOWER class.

I remember hearing about a Chicago city council trying to force all stores like walmart to pay a certain wage, which is BS because stores like Target (I think?) actually pay more wages than a walmart to attract the more motivated and efficient workers.

If I'm pro-capitalism and I also support welfare and other lowerclass support programs, what does that make me(politically speaking)?

Oh, it passed. I posted a link awhile back. Daley is trying to garner the votes for a veto, I think he need 2 more at last count. Target pulled out of one deal, while also saying another store under construction might be stopped. Home Depot was also trying to pull out. Funny thing, the more wealthier suburbs don't have a problem with these stores or their policies. I guess because they pay higher than average wages to kids, who are in their first jobs. Duh! (They are on mom or dad's insurance plans to begin with).

RyzinEnagy said:
They could, but it's capitalism at work. If the company can prosper and still attract employees, then why do anything above the bare minimum for them. If people were to say, "Let's not work at Wal-Mart because they don't do enough for me to make a living", and enough people said it to the point where they need more employees than they actually have, then things will change for their workers.

But as long as their making money and the company keeps going forward (we finally have Wal-Mart here in NYC), then tough luck for whoever decides to work for them.
I see where you're coming from, and I agree with you and disagree with you at the same time. Personally, I prefer my government regulation of the economy to be at a minimum, safety laws, food purity, and environmental protections a la tragedy of the commons, some worker protections, and such. In many ways, I feel that we are overegulated.

At the same time, I think capitalism can go to far. Sweatshops suck, but they are capitalism at work, and it pays more than subsistence farming. Often people work at sweatshops or at Walmart (not that Walmart is a sweatshop, they have the opposite problem) not because they want to, but because it's the only option. I'm even largely okay with that. At least in this country people have the opportunity to get an education and get a good job.

However, WalMart has some business practices I disagree with. First I don't like how they "underemploy" people. WalMart requires a huge percentage of it's employees to work part time. This allows WalMart to deny these employees the benefits of a full time employee, most notably health insurance.

Secondly, in what I believe was early 2004, WalMart was discovered to have willingly hired illegal aliens through a contractor and literally locking them in the store overnight. At first WalMart denied any knowledge, but company documents later demonstrated that WalMart executives intentionally allowed contractors to use illegal immigrants in their stores.

Third, while I understand that WalMarts large selection of goods places the company in competition with numerous competitors, including and especially local businesses, I still wish they would work within local communities beyond just selling goods and prices that undercut everyone else in town. WalMart could sponser schools and work with noncompeting local businesses, deposit money in local banks where the dollars would be reinvested in the local community instead of shipping it all back to Bentonville, and support local newspapers beyond an initial advertizing blitz designed to drive competitors into the ground.

Finally, WalMart has used distinctly monopolistic tactics to dominate local markets. Employees have been documented to visit other local stores, note the inventory, and then stock identical items at lower prices, even to the point of losing money on the product, in hopes of eliminating the other business and destroying competition in the local market. WalMart has prohibited suppliers from shipping goods to competing businesses or lose lucrative WalMart contracts.

These are my beefs with WalMart. As such, I try not to shop there. Instead, if I need to visit a large retail store, I go to Costco, which provides all its employees with health insurance and benefits, and putting people before profits.

I see where you're coming from, and I agree with you and disagree with you at the same time. Personally, I prefer my government regulation of the economy to be at a minimum, safety laws, food purity, and environmental protections a la tragedy of the commons, some worker protections, and such. In many ways, I feel that we are overegulated.

At the same time, I think capitalism can go to far. Sweatshops suck, but they are capitalism at work, and it pays more than subsistence farming. Often people work at sweatshops or at Walmart (not that Walmart is a sweatshop, they have the opposite problem) not because they want to, but because it's the only option. I'm even largely okay with that. At least in this country people have the opportunity to get an education and get a good job.

However, WalMart has some business practices I disagree with. First I don't like how they "underemploy" people. WalMart requires a huge percentage of it's employees to work part time. This allows WalMart to deny these employees the benefits of a full time employee, most notably health insurance.

Secondly, in what I believe was early 2004, WalMart was discovered to have willingly hired illegal aliens through a contractor and literally locking them in the store overnight. At first WalMart denied any knowledge, but company documents later demonstrated that WalMart executives intentionally allowed contractors to use illegal immigrants in their stores.

Third, while I understand that WalMarts large selection of goods places the company in competition with numerous competitors, including and especially local businesses, I still wish they would work within local communities beyond just selling goods and prices that undercut everyone else in town. WalMart could sponser schools and work with noncompeting local businesses, deposit money in local banks where the dollars would be reinvested in the local community instead of shipping it all back to Bentonville, and support local newspapers beyond an initial advertizing blitz designed to drive competitors into the ground.

Finally, WalMart has used distinctly monopolistic tactics to dominate local markets. Employees have been documented to visit other local stores, note the inventory, and then stock identical items at lower prices, even to the point of losing money on the product, in hopes of eliminating the other business and destroying competition in the local market. WalMart has prohibited suppliers from shipping goods to competing businesses or lose lucrative WalMart contracts.

These are my beefs with WalMart. As such, I try not to shop there. Instead, if I need to visit a large retail store, I go to Costco, which provides all its employees with health insurance and benefits, and putting people before profits.

I agree with you completely. I don't go to Wal-Mart either (and go to Costco all the time), and I personally disapprove totally of how they treat their employees like crap. I was just saying that as long as they're making money, this society can do very little to stop it, unless like you and I, we stop shopping there in protest. Of course the problem with that is that with almost everybody, the only thing they consider is how much is it going to cost them to buy what they want, and that's what Wal-Mart plays off of, and like magic, they end up being the only thing in town. That's what's likely to happen now that Wal-Mart is here in NYC, because that's exactly what happened when Home Depot came into town.

However, WalMart has some business practices I disagree with. First I don't like how they "underemploy" people. WalMart requires a huge percentage of it's employees to work part time. This allows WalMart to deny these employees the benefits of a full time employee, most notably health insurance. Actually many universities are doing the same thing, with adjunct professors. We won't even mention the 'placement services' for the educated, that are also doing the same, but garnering much higher salaries for their 'contracted.'

Secondly, in what I believe was early 2004, WalMart was discovered to have willingly hired illegal aliens through a contractor and literally locking them in the store overnight. At first WalMart denied any knowledge, but company documents later demonstrated that WalMart executives intentionally allowed contractors to use illegal immigrants in their stores. I agree, this should be stopped and penalized, from all employers, not JUST Walmart.

Third, while I understand that WalMarts large selection of goods places the company in competition with numerous competitors, including and especially local businesses, I still wish they would work within local communities beyond just selling goods and prices that undercut everyone else in town. WalMart could sponser schools and work with noncompeting local businesses, deposit money in local banks where the dollars would be reinvested in the local community instead of shipping it all back to Bentonville, and support local newspapers beyond an initial advertizing blitz designed to drive competitors into the ground. Walmart has given sizeable contributions in the communities they are in. Our school received over $5k from 'donations through purchases' last year. (BTW, it's pretty shocking that the parents spent that much at Walmart last year. I don't even want to contemplate what they spent at Nieman Marcus, Saks, or Nordstroms in that time frame.)

Finally, WalMart has used distinctly monopolistic tactics to dominate local markets. Employees have been documented to visit other local stores, note the inventory, and then stock identical items at lower prices, even to the point of losing money on the product, in hopes of eliminating the other business and destroying competition in the local market. WalMart has prohibited suppliers from shipping goods to competing businesses or lose lucrative WalMart contracts. Sears did the same thing earlier. No brainer.

As I said in another post, mostly stores like Walmart, Costco, Sam's, etc. employ kids who are on their parents insurance OR are retired with pension and Medicare/supplemental insurance.

As I said in another post, mostly stores like Walmart, Costco, Sam's, etc. employ kids who are on their parents insurance OR are retired with pension and Medicare/supplemental insurance.

One must be at least 18 years old to work in Walmart in SC. I'm pretty sure that's a nationwide age limit.

One must be at least 18 years old to work in Walmart in SC. I'm pretty sure that's a nationwide age limit.

Here, 16 year olds can work, within the state limits. Still, aren't there 18 year olds in college/high school? :confused:

Here, 16 year olds can work, within the state limits. Still, aren't there 18 year olds in college/high school? :confused:

Yeah. 16 year olds can work in SC, but Walmart only hires 18 year olds and up. I've been to Walmarts in SC, NC, and GA (because I'm cool) and I almost soley see ppl in the late 20's to early 100's working at Walmart:cool:

Yeah. 16 year olds can work in SC, but Walmart only hires 18 year olds and up. I've been to Walmarts in SC, NC, and GA (because I'm cool) and I almost soley see ppl in the late 20's to early 100's working at Walmart:cool:

Must be a Southern thang, cause that isn't the case here. You still haven't answered the question.

Be that as it may be, those of the golden years, have Medicare. What's up with your 20-50 year olds? Idiots? Or the South is once again the land of no jobs? Not what I'm reading, but heh, you are on the ground.

A couple of questions for Mr. Edwards:

* How much are mom and pop retail stores paying their employees? Less than WalMart, generally. Do they have health insurance? No.

* Why is health care so expensive to begin with? It wasn't always that way. For that matter, why do employers generally provide health care? Why not pay someone say, $20/hr. with no benefits rather than $15/hr. + benefits? Why don't employers provide other insurance--car insurance or homeowners insurance? The answer of course is government. A Byzantine set of rules and regulation for health care, plus a tax code and subsdies that distort the free market.

Not to mention relentless monetary inflation during the Greenspan years. We've had inflation on par with what we experienced in the 70's for a good while now. Only we don't recognize it as such, because it effects some sectors more than others. The largest reason why is because stores like Wal-Mart held down the cost of goods or even deflated them. In fact, this was such a big factor that there were actually deflation fears during the late 90's--the printing presses were chugging right along, but Wal-Mart and others helped stem the tide and kept consumables affordable. Meanwhile, stuff that can't be imported easily went up in price--health care and education for example.

Must be a Southern thang, cause that isn't the case here. You still haven't answered the question.

Be that as it may be, those of the golden years, have Medicare. What's up with your 20-50 year olds? Idiots? Or the South is once again the land of no jobs? Not what I'm reading, but heh, you are on the ground.

The SC lottery pays full tuition for anyone going to tech schools that graduate highschool above a certain GPA. More than half of my graduating class (277) was going to some form of higher education. A good percentage of the other half were going into the armed forces. A few were going into some type of physical labor job. Not a single person was boasting about getting a job at a big retail store. I've seen some of the ppl I graduated with at Lowe's and HomeDepot, so I know some 18 year olds work in big retail stores, but I have yet to see anyone in the 18-25 age working at Walmart.

I think places like WalMart are a last option for most of the people that work there. There's no room to increase position at Walmart because they hire college grads to be in management. Anyone with a GED or highschool diploma can go up the ranks and be manager at a franchise restraunt or small retail store.

What's up with your 20-50 year olds? Idiots? Or the South is once again the land of no jobs? Not what I'm reading, but heh, you are on the ground.

On top of what I said before, soooooooo many people have been outsource from their factory jobs. Plants in SC move overseas or to Mexico all the time. That leaves hundreds of 25-50 year olds with no marketable skill without work. Walmart is there with open hands to offer wages and employment discounts (which is about as usefull as having health insurance benefits).

On top of what I said before, soooooooo many people have been outsource from their factory jobs. Plants in SC move overseas or to Mexico all the time. That leaves hundreds of 25-50 year olds with no marketable skill without work. Walmart is there with open hands to offer wages and employment discounts (which is about as usefull as having health insurance benefits).

Libs claim to be for the working middle class, yet they hate the one company that enables them to get what they need at a fair price.

I believe it is all about sucking up to the unions.

The unions see a huge cash cow in Wal Mart. Thinks about the hundreds of millions the unions could steal from the Wal Mart workers in the form of union dues.

The Dems are thinking about the millions they would get from the unions in the form of campaign contributions.

RyzinEnagy said:
I agree with you completely. I don't go to Wal-Mart either (and go to Costco all the time), and I personally disapprove totally of how they treat their employees like crap. I was just saying that as long as they're making money, this society can do very little to stop it, unless like you and I, we stop shopping there in protest. Of course the problem with that is that with almost everybody, the only thing they consider is how much is it going to cost them to buy what they want, and that's what Wal-Mart plays off of, and like magic, they end up being the only thing in town. That's what's likely to happen now that Wal-Mart is here in NYC, because that's exactly what happened when Home Depot came into town.
Yea, but the problem is that you're never going to generate a large enough movement to seriously change Walmart's business practices. They might do a few symbolic changes, but nothing real. If they were going to do something, they would have done it by now. The upper classes and a large portion of the middle class disagree with what Walmart is doing, but that doesn't really afffect Walmart because those groups are not Walmart's clientele. Walmart primarily serves the working class and the poor. I remember recently seeing a post (possibly here) that the average household income of Walmart shoppers is $35,000, nearly $20,000 below the national average. These people might not like what Walmart is doing, but often it's the only place they can go.

The only way I can imagine instituting change is through the government, but that is something I really hate doing because it's so inefficient and corruption prone. I wouldn't want the government to take direct action against Walmart or the other big box stores. I think the ideal solution would be to reduce regulation in the health and health insurance industries while providing a healthcare scheme similar to that of Sweden or what Massachusetts is trying to implement. Depending on how well the program is implemented and the level of business contributions, we could actually make American manufacturing more competitive because businesses wouldn't be stuck with paying for all their employee's health insurance.

Kathianne said:
Actually many universities are doing the same thing, with adjunct professors. We won't even mention the 'placement services' for the educated, that are also doing the same, but garnering much higher salaries for their 'contracted.'
If a university is intentionally underemploying workers then I think they should face the same action as Walmart deserves. Then again, many adjunct professors, including many of my dad's friends, want to teach only part time in addition to other positions they already hold.
Kathianne said:
I agree, this should be stopped and penalized, from all employers, not JUST Walmart.
I'm not saying that these rules should only apply to Walmart, just that Walmart is one of the numerous companies following illegal practices similar to this incident and all of them, including Walmart, the company we are currently discussing, should be held accountable.
Kathianne said:
Walmart has given sizeable contributions in the communities they are in. Our school received over $5k from 'donations through purchases' last year. (BTW, it's pretty shocking that the parents spent that much at Walmart last year. I don't even want to contemplate what they spent at Nieman Marcus, Saks, or Nordstroms in that time frame.)
That is nice. I've never heard of Walmart doing that before anywhere. But if Walmart is willing to donate even that much to the school, I can only imagine how much money they could leave in local banks instead of sucking the town dry.
Kathianne said:
Sears did the same thing earlier. No brainer.
Again, these rules apply to all companies, not just Walmart. It just happens that Walmart is the current topic of discussion.

What practices are 'illegal' and what punishments have been meted out?

MrConley said:
I'm not saying that these rules should only apply to Walmart, just that Walmart is one of the numerous companies following illegal practices similar to this incident and all of them, including Walmart, the company we are currently discussing, should be held accountable.

New Topics

Forum List

Back