Citizen Kane - Greatest film of all time ?

We judge movies, books, and theater, based on contemporary customs and standards. No doubt, Citizen Kane was ahead of it's time in 1940 when a movie that ended in death of the protagonist, had to leave audiences with something other than despair and hopelessness. In the 50's to 70's, people looked at Citizen Kane much differently because movies then did not have to put smiles on the faces of audiences or inspire them. People saw the genius of Welles plot twists, his introduction of avant-garde storytelling, unique use of the camera, incredible attention to detail, from the music to the lighting. Filmmakers in the 60's and 70's and later made such heavy use of Well's techniques, that today Citizen Kane seems about as fresh as yesterdays garbage. However, if you look at the film considering the era it was made, Welles was one of the most gift filmmakers of all times.

There are two movies that Welles though were his best and critics agreed, Citizen Kane and the Magnificent Ambersons, however both lost money at the box office. The Welles production that made money, got critics approval, and Welles disapproval was The Stranger. If you haven't seen it, it's worth watching, a good suspenseful story, certain not in the league of Citizen Kane.
NOt many films start with the death of the main character.
The BBc have picked up a job lot of old RKO films and I am working through them. The Mag Ambersons is one of them.

they treated us to a double bill last night.
Bringing up Baby which I found irritating.
and
My Favouite Wife which I quite enjoyed.

NOt many films start with the death of the main character.
The BBc have picked up a job lot of old RKO films and I am working through them. The Mag Ambersons is one of them.

they treated us to a double bill last night.
Bringing up Baby which I found irritating.
and
My Favouite Wife which I quite enjoyed.
I agree with exception of Bringing UP Baby. I found the slapstick humor refreshing.

I consider My Favorite Wife as the last movie in the conversion of Archie Leach to the Cary Grant of 40's, 50s, and 60s.

I found the Magnificent Amberson boring at times and wonderful at other times. The first scene of the movie was pure Welles using his narration and changes in hat styles as a hint of the story to come. My favorite scene was the Snow scene with motor car and buggy. I believe Welles narration added a lot to the movie. Time Holt provide he actually act. Prior to this he was B western star.

Forum List

Back