Cigs are bad for you- well known in 1938

Polishprince

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2016
In the classic comedy film from that year, "Healthy Wealthy and Dumb", Curly wins a contest from the fictitious Coffin Nails Cigarette Company.

The liberal myth that Big Tobacco "hid the dangers" of smoking is a load of shit.

Even Imbeciles knew that ciggies would kill you a quarter century before the declaration of the Surgeon General. No one was hiding a dam thing.

It's common sense that putting smoke in your lungs will harm your lungs.

Cigarette smoking wasn't widespread in Murica until around 1917...Packs of smokes were put into WWI trooper military care packages, and the rest was history....Your benevolent betters in the federal gubmint got the nation hooked on Lucky Strikes.

True story.

I remember candy cigarettes were popular when I was a kid in the 60s. Most of the junior high school kids I hung around with smoked Marlboros. There was definitely a lot of marketing to hook very young people on cigarettes.

The liberal myth that Big Tobacco "hid the dangers" of smoking is a load of shit.
It isn't a myth, 'liberal' or otherwise.

Do you really think it was a Secret that cigarettes were no damn good for you, long before the Surgeon General came out with his report?

Moe, as well as both Larry and Curly, understood that they were Coffin Nails for decades. Phi Morris, Herb Tareyton, et al, didn't preach the dangers of what they were selling, but it was already common knowledge even among the mentally challenged.

Do you really think it was a Secret that cigarettes were no damn good for you, long before the Surgeon General came out with his report?

Moe, as well as both Larry and Curly, understood that they were Coffin Nails for decades. Phi Morris, Herb Tareyton, et al, didn't preach the dangers of what they were selling, but it was already common knowledge even among the mentally challenged.
Whatever you say. I'm personally aware that quitting 12 years ago was one of my best decisions ever.

For some perspective on it, I've not only added years to my life by quitting, but at $5 a pack every day for 12 years, that's around $20,000 that didn't go up in smoke.

Last edited:

Whatever you say. I'm personally aware that quitting 12 years ago was one of my best decisions ever.

For some perspective on it, I've not only added years to my life by quitting, but at $5 a pack every day for 12 years, that's around $20,000 that didn't go up in smoke.

No doubt about it, smoking is an expensive as well as unhealthy habit.

However, these were known facts since the 1930's and before, it wasn't a trade secret held closely by BIg Tobacco.

I started smoking in high school because this girl I liked smoked. I was 15.

I didn't get the girl, but I did get a lifelong habit. I tried quitting a thousand times, but it never took.

But the fact of the matter is that once I really, truly decided I wanted to quit, it was one of the easiest things I've ever done. I used a combination of the patch and Wellbutrin, as well as attending weekly meetings at Kaiser.

I enjoyed smoking; nothing went better with a nice cold beer. But I simply got tired of being winded after climbing a flight of stairs. Once I decided I wanted to do it, it was all but done.

I quit smoking at 10:58am (PST) January 16, 2012, and I've never faltered. Not once...

Last edited:

When I got stationed on my first ship after joining the Navy, I was stunned to learn that there were these things called "C-store cigarettes".

Basically, they were cigarettes which could only be sold once the ship was at sea, since there was no federal tax stamp on them.

I was buying Marlboro reds for $4 a carton in 1981...

When I got stationed on my first ship after joining the Navy, I was stunned to learn that there were these things called "C-store cigarettes".

Basically, they were cigarettes which could only be sold once the ship was at sea, since there was no federal tax stamp on them.

Back in the 80's they used to have those promotional displays --Camel and/or Winston buy 3-get 3 free (6 packs) for about $3 each, so 5 of them would be the same as 3 whole cartons - or about $5 or $6 a carton average.

You bought guitar shit with the money you saved. Yes?
Should have.
I'm a late bloomer.
We have 38 acres and a house all paid for though, where I can play as loud as I want to. My new collection is coming soon.

I have 4 vices- my kids, coffee and cigarettes, and sprint car racing- each brings me an immeasurable amount of pleasure- last year, I became a guitar junkie- my older brother used to say; women have brought him more misery than cigarettes ever did- I have to admit there is some truth to that-

I even wrote a song, Coffee and Cigarettes-

Coffee and cigarettes are the comp'ny I keep
on a perfect autumn night with a sky black and deep
not a leaf is stirrin, not a sound bein made
it's great to be alive, hearin the whisper of sleep

Writin songs in my head that'll never be sang
with music that'll never be played
'bout a love one wrong or a love that's never been
with words that don't rhyme and music out of sync

Talkin to the sky black and deep
with coffee and cigarettes the comp'ny I keep
words that don't rhyme and music out of sync
with coffee and cigarettes the comp'ny I keep

Not a bad price. I was picking up packs of chesterfield kings for my mum at the local store in 1968 and the price was 36 cents each.

A carton of Luckies was like two bucks when I was in back in the early '70s.

The joke was that if you didn't smoke, you were losing money.

Forum List

Back