Churchill, Hitler, And The Unnecessary War by Pat Buchanan

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
So I decided to pick up a history book from Borders a little while back. Despite being written by Pat Buchanan, I decided to give it a shot and least open my horizons to other ideas.

What a huge mistake on my part and a waste of $20.

I get through the first couples page to the Preface first off, and I quote from the book:

"Had Britain not given a war guarantee to Poland in March 1939, then declared war on September 3, bringing in South Africa, Canada, Australia, India, New Zealand, and the United States, a German-Polish war might have never become a six-year world war in which fifty million would perish."

I had to stop right there, just due to the amount of ignorance in that one sentence.

Pat seems to ignore EVERYTHING known about Hitler up to that point.

Such as the annexing of Austria and Czechoslovakia.

I understand Pat is a isolationist but Hitler would of continued across the globe, butchering the Jews and others and creating the Holocaust.

Looking up the reviews to the book, it doesn't get any better from there on in.

I just find it amazing in 2007 or even 2010 how some can be so ignorant as to still believe that Hitler was a rational person who truly was not out to conquer the world.

/rant end

Tl;dr Don't buy this book if you want my recommendation.

Last edited:
Pat has always been a bit blind (probably due to latent antisemitism) when it comes to anything dealing with WWII.

Every once in a while though, he'll come out of left field and actually make a cogent argument when it concerns current affairs.

Pat has always been a bit blind (probably due to latent antisemitism) when it comes to anything dealing with WWII.

Every once in a while though, he'll come out of left field and actually make a cogent argument when it concerns current affairs.

That's why I figured I'd least give it a shot. I don't watch MSNBC or the pundits on television at all so I didn't know much about his latent antisemitism.

I was flipping through it and reading other stuff, just massive nativity or ignorance.

I much preferred Stalingrad: The Fateful Siege: 1942-1943 by Antony Beevor. A recommendable history book and a very much indepth one at that.

Forum List

Back