Church Attendance and Scripture

presonorek

Gold Member
Jun 7, 2015
Alabama
What is the role of church attendance?

The Bible ambitiously says, "forsake not the assembling of yourselves together".

Does this require the singing of two songs, saying a prayer, welcoming visitors, sing another song while taking an offering, hearing someone sing a solo, hearing the pastor speak for 30 minutes, an altar call and then another prayer?

Would it be more expedient for 4-12 Christian's meet up once a month to eat dinner together and hang out for several hours?

What is the true objective of obligatory church attendance? It doesn't appear scriptural motivated to me.

Catholics gather to celebrate the Last Supper and to receive the Lord anew. We begin with asking forgiveness and the glorifying God. This is followed by four readings, two from the Old Testament, two from the New. These readings follow a common theme; today it is the power of prayer. The homily is usually between 8-12 minutes. Catholics read through the Bible every three years (ever year for those who attend Mass daily).

God created all of us to be holy, and a gathering in the name of God helps to remind us that we, as a people, are called to be holy. This gathering is a great reminder that we are all called to discern and follow the will of God and to love one another as we love ourselves. We are surrounded by those who strive to uphold these ideals.

It is hard to be surrounded, to feel surrounded, when hanging out with four to nine people once a month. Isn't that more apt to give a feeling of isolation from God's people rather than gathering with God's people?

What is the process for sharpening that iron properly? Sit quietly for one hour next to other Christians and then leave promptly?
It is a big world, and each of us go back to our bit of the world taking the Word of God with us.

Catholics gather to celebrate the Last Supper and to receive the Lord anew. We begin with asking forgiveness and the glorifying God. This is followed by four readings, two from the Old Testament, two from the New. These readings follow a common theme; today it is the power of prayer. The homily is usually between 8-12 minutes. Catholics read through the Bible every three years (ever year for those who attend Mass daily).

God created all of us to be holy, and a gathering in the name of God helps to remind us that we, as a people, are called to be holy. This gathering is a great reminder that we are all called to discern and follow the will of God and to love one another as we love ourselves. We are surrounded by those who strive to uphold these ideals.

It is hard to be surrounded, to feel surrounded, when hanging out with four to nine people once a month. Isn't that more apt to give a feeling of isolation from God's people rather than gathering with God's people?

You have a very powerful support group. This is likely what the church was intended to be. You should know this is not the norm. People show up, check their box and bolt out the door. It is possible for 2 people to attend the same church for 20 years and not know each others' names.

the attendance rule is based on the verse iron sharpens iron

What is the process for sharpening that iron properly? Sit quietly for one hour next to other Christians and then leave promptly?
I’m not religious but I go to church with friends sometimes. It can be a good thing for people if they take it that way. Gives a reason to gather, sense of community, self reflection, etc etc.

to each their own

I’m not religious but I go to church with friends sometimes. It can be a good thing for people if they take it that way. Gives a reason to gather, sense of community, self reflection, etc etc.

to each their own

I guess I am not referencing church attendance per se. I am referring to a philosophy that church attendance is obligatory on any level.

I just don't buy it.

to each their own

I guess I am not referencing church attendance per se. I am referring to a philosophy that church attendance is obligatory on any level.

I just don't buy it.
i think that’s more of a catholic thing... they are pretty big on the control and guilt stuff

to each their own

I just don't buy it.
i think that’s more of a catholic thing... they are pretty big on the control and guilt stuff

I have my suspicions that it you stay away from church too long then you start thinking.

The myth of Jesus is so fragile that missing a couple of months of indoctrination could allow you to realize the silliness of it all. Magic blood, a human that lives inside your biological anatomy, an invisible man that you can talk with, the oogie boogie hell story, the la la land of heaven's fair home and the terrible state of your heart just seems to stop making sense after missing a few church services. Until then, those fairy tales are real as sweet iced tea.

to each their own

I just don't buy it.

I have my suspicions that it you stay away from church too long then you start thinking.

The myth of Jesus is so fragile that missing a couple of months of indoctrination could allow you to realize the silliness of it all. Magic blood, a human that lives inside your biological anatomy, an invisible man that you can talk with, the oogie boogie hell story, the la la land of heaven's fair home and the terrible state of your heart just seems to stop making sense after missing a few church services. Until then, those fairy tales are real as sweet iced tea.
its silly if you take it all literally, I agree with that. But there are also many great lessons that can be learned of you study the meanings behind the stories.

"forsake not the assembling of yourselves together

Done and done...

drunks-at-the-bar-picture-id157510281

I did. And it was that thinking that led me to see how God has worked in my life.

Anyone can find peace in calm seas. It’s not so easy to find Safe Harbor in a storm.

Not true. It is true that Catholics take responsibility for their own words and actions. Responsibility, not guilt, not control. We try to practice humility at least to that extent. We are a holy people, but we are not a perfect people. That is an ideal to which we strive...and haven't reached yet. Hence the accepting responsibility for words and actions.

Forum List

Back