CDZ Christian wedding photographer sues-NY over nondiscrimination law

This case is a bit different than the others, because NY's law is far more invasive than the others being enforced in other States.

Christian wedding photographer sues NY over nondiscrimination law

Emilee Carpenter filed a lawsuit against New York attorney general Letitia James (D.) over state nondiscrimination statutes that Carpenter said compel her to violate her religious beliefs about traditional marriage by making her publicize photos of same-sex weddings on her website. The laws require her to create photograph collections on her website celebrating same-sex weddings because she celebrates opposite-sex weddings. Violating the laws could result in tens of thousands of dollars in fines, the state taking away her business license, or even jail time.

The statutes also forbid Carpenter from publishing any sort of editorial stance explaining her religious beliefs about marriage on her website. Carpenter said in an interview that her beliefs are inseparable from her work as a wedding photographer and that the laws are violating her First Amendment rights.

“My faith has been really integral to me as a person but also to my business and the way I operate it and the artwork I create,” Carpenter said. “My faith is really the lens through which I view my art.”

So not only does she have to photograph the weddings OR ELSE, she has to post pictures from said SSM ceremonies on her website OR ELSE, and cannot post anything about her religious beliefs on the matter OR ELSE.
Once again a conservative starts a thread without facts and purports to grievance a cause which is not what the lawsuit is about.

Christian photographer sues for right to refuse gay customers because she doesn’t work with vampires

emilee carpenter doesn't shoot wedding photos of same sex couples nor has she been asked too. Hell, she doesn't do Halloween or vampire ones either. She wants to post on her website "No gays allowed" as per her chirstian beliefs.

She will lose this case in the same way you can't post "No Asian people allowed" for a public business.
So, it's freedom of speech issue.
She can exercise her freedom of speech anytime, but using a public accommodation (her business) as the vehicle is not one of them.

This case is a bit different than the others, because NY's law is far more invasive than the others being enforced in other States.

Emilee Carpenter filed a lawsuit against New York attorney general Letitia James (D.) over state nondiscrimination statutes that Carpenter said compel her to violate her religious beliefs about traditional marriage by making her publicize photos of same-sex weddings on her website. The laws require her to create photograph collections on her website celebrating same-sex weddings because she celebrates opposite-sex weddings. Violating the laws could result in tens of thousands of dollars in fines, the state taking away her business license, or even jail time.

The statutes also forbid Carpenter from publishing any sort of editorial stance explaining her religious beliefs about marriage on her website. Carpenter said in an interview that her beliefs are inseparable from her work as a wedding photographer and that the laws are violating her First Amendment rights.

“My faith has been really integral to me as a person but also to my business and the way I operate it and the artwork I create,” Carpenter said. “My faith is really the lens through which I view my art.”

So not only does she have to photograph the weddings OR ELSE, she has to post pictures from said SSM ceremonies on her website OR ELSE, and cannot post anything about her religious beliefs on the matter OR ELSE.
Once again a conservative starts a thread without facts and purports to grievance a cause which is not what the lawsuit is about.

Christian photographer sues for right to refuse gay customers because she doesn’t work with vampires

emilee carpenter doesn't shoot wedding photos of same sex couples nor has she been asked too. Hell, she doesn't do Halloween or vampire ones either. She wants to post on her website "No gays allowed" as per her chirstian beliefs.

She will lose this case in the same way you can't post "No Asian people allowed" for a public business.
She can exercise her freedom of speech anytime, but using a public accommodation (her business) as the vehicle is not one of them.
Interesting. So, as a "public accommodation", Facebook has no right to censor Trumpsters, right?

Interesting. So, as a "public accommodation", Facebook has no right to censor Trumpsters, right?
Say on subject. Her business is an public accommodation and cannot be used to discriminate.

Say on subject. Her business is an public accommodation and cannot be used to discriminate.

Right. I'm pointing out to you why the "public accommodation" conceit is a really bad idea.

Right. I'm pointing out to you why the "public accommodation" conceit is a really bad idea.
You're not pointing that out. Your reference to Facebook and "censoring" trumpsters is not the same as posting "No gays allowed" on a store front.

Are you stating that their the same?

Yes this is overdue to finally get this resolved!

What an extreme case, it can only be used for the better.

We needed the next "Rosa Parks" to stand up against these oppressive backwards policies.

I give credit to leaders like Trump and Cortez for standing up and speaking out without apology. Free speech is what makes America and our democratic process work. Free Press is what allows us to share it publicly to influence others and form a united collective agreement on policy and Constitutional standards of Govt.

Thanks for posting this martybegan

This gives me hope we can still promote the right discussions and education to stop abuses of Govt that are otherwise killing our country and economy.

We can unite and make the necessary corrections. This gives me hope and renews my faith. I will share it with friends who were losing theirs. Thanks!!!

You're not pointing that out. Your reference to Facebook and "censoring" trumpsters is not the same as posting "No gays allowed" on a store front.

Exactly. Glad you noticed.

from your link

A photographer is suing the state of New York for not letting her post a “no same-sex weddings” policy on her website, saying that she should get a religious exemption to the state’s anti-discrimination laws because she is a Christian.

how is the OP incorrect? you dems are truly without integrity, seriously. I feel sorry for your ass.

We needed the next "Rosa Parks" to stand up against these oppressive backwards policies.

I give credit to leaders like Trump and Cortez for standing up and speaking out without apology. Free speech is what makes America and our democratic process work. Free Press is what allows us to share it publicly to influence others and form a united collective agreement on policy and Constitutional standards of Govt.

This gives me hope we can still promote the right discussions and education to stop abuses of Govt that are otherwise killing our country and economy.

We can unite and make the necessary corrections. This gives me hope and renews my faith. I will share it with friends who were losing theirs. Thanks!!!
Rosa Parks stood up against actual discrimination.

emillee is creating her own grievance lawsuit.

Well, then your just misguided and wrong.

Right back at ya. You nitwits want to put government in charge of sorting out all these social issues. Giving them that kind of power will come back to haunt you.

Rosa Parks stood up against actual discrimination.

emillee is creating her own grievance lawsuit.
Dear otto105
The law regulating religious beliefs exists and is on the books. Just like the law that segregated Blacks and required them to follow a policy favoring Whites getting bus seats.

Differences here
A. The colored laws forced segregation that oppressed Blacks. These laws regulating website content force inclusion of certain content while banning Christian beliefs from expression, so it is a mix of both forcing one and banning another.
B. Rosa Parks ended up jailed for refusing to comply. Here, Emilie Carpenter isn't waiting to get fined or punished but still challenging the law, more proactively in advance.

She is still standing up and refusing to comply with laws requiring her to "give up" her rights.

That is what I am referring to, standing up and speaking out to challenge the law.

You are referring to LITERAL differences.
I agree there are differences as above.

This does not affect the fact she is still speaking out against unfair laws that discriminate and violate equal rights.

She is just doing it legally in advance.

If you want to know my take on this, I take it even further if people really need to go this far:

Any concerted effort to keep enforcing laws, fines and punishment, harassment or bullying of people for their religious or political beliefs "can be argued" as conspiring to violate equal civil rights by discrimination by creed. Such conspiracy "can be argued" as a FELONY.

If you really want to keep pushing censorship and oppression of Christian or Constitutional beliefs, we can go all out.

But if this legal case here is enough to correct the problem, we don't have to argue felony conspiracy.

Right back at ya. You nitwits want to put government in charge of sorting out all these social issues. Giving them that kind of power will come back to haunt you.
She was the one who started a business which is a public accommodation under commerce.

She can not post any "No so and so allowed"

She wants the right to announce her refusal to service people covered by anti-discrimination law.

Simple.

She was the one who started a business which is a public accommodation under commerce.

She wants the right to announce her refusal to service people covered by anti-discrimination law.

Simple.
^ READ the laws being contested.
Nothing contested about serving customers in the store, that is well established and agreed on.

What is contested is forcing and banning WEBSITE content for the business in violation of freedom of speech and religion and causing discrimination by creed.

Did you read the specific arguments in this case?

Very different from other cases of wedding cakes that are confusing which involve speech, action, behavior or people.

This involves speech, not people.

The laws require LGBT content and ban explanations of religious beliefs!

How can govt regulate free speech and religion using fines and bans on businesses!

otto105
Please make sure you and I are talking about the same things. Your other posts seem reasonable where I agree with what you mean by your objections.

I would likely agree with you on content and principle if we don't miscommunicate and talk about two totally different things. Thanks!

She was the one who started a business which is a public accommodation under commerce.[/

Simple.

It is simple. It's simply bad policy. Government should have neither the power to force us to associate with others against our will, nor the power to suppress our speech in the name of the former.

She was the one who started a business which is a public accommodation under commerce.[/

Simple.

It is simple. It's simply bad policy. Government should have neither the power to force us to associate with others against our will, nor the power to suppress our speech in the name of the former.
She doesn't have to associate in her individual life with anyone that she doesn't want to.

In her business, it's another issue.

Simple.

She doesn't have to associate in her individual life with anyone that she doesn't want to.

In her business, it's another issue.
I understand how the law works. I think that's a fundamental violation of freedom of conscience, freedom of association, etc, and isn't the kind of power government should have.

Simple.
^ READ the laws being contested.
Nothing contested about serving customers in the store, that is well established and agreed on.

What is contested is forcing and banning WEBSITE content for the business in violation of freedom of speech and religion and causing discrimination by creed.

Did you read the specific arguments in this case?

Very different from other cases of wedding cakes that are confusing which involve speech, action, behavior or people.

This involves speech, not people.

The laws require LGBT content and ban explanations of religious beliefs!

How can govt regulate free speech and religion using fines and bans on businesses!

otto105
Please make sure you and I are talking about the same things. Your other posts seem reasonable where I agree with what you mean by your objections.

I would likely agree with you on content and principle if we don't miscommunicate and talk about two totally different things. Thanks!

I don't see where this is a free speech issue. She in her personnel life can freely associate with whomever she wants too.

In regard to her business, she wants to advertise that she is discriminating against a group of people. I don't really see the difference if people are denied services offered either by entering her store physically or going online. Service denied is service denied.

Compelling speech seems like a violation of the First Amendment not a religious issue.

The irony of it all is that they are partially making a religious statement to discriminate.

Leave it to lefty to not understand the imperatives of liberty. It's the state that is unlawfully discriminating!

The state is required to protect all citizens. Using liberty to discriminate is akin to using religion to discriminate.

Forum List

Back