Christian Conservative Hate Group causes cancellation of Tea Party Rally

Unfair? How?

The NAACP does not work to reconcile the races. I think the NAACP thrives on the continuance of animosity between the races. They know it and they work to make sure that animosity grows.

As long as that is the case, I will continue to believe that they divide this country rather than unite us. It is sort of a catch-22. The NAACP goes dead when racism dies. Therefore, they cannot afford to allow racism to die and they work to keep it alive.

Maybe you would have been better off if you had said it was an unfair assessment of people who support the NAACP? I still do not believe they deserve the respect of people who love this country.

Immie

You've just made it personal. I support the work of the NAACP. The NAACP presses for justice and equality. Values I share. I also love my country.

Please show me where I made it "personal".

I never said you did not love "our" country. I said that I do not believe the NAACP deserves the respect of people who do. I didn't say you should not respect them. Rather that I don't think you should.

I do not see what you see from the NAACP. I see hatred and little else. And not from everyone associated with it, but from the organization itself.

Immie

The NAACP is not a hate group. I don't support hate groups. In fact, I support the Southern Poverty Law Center because they monitor hate groups and fight them in court.

" The NAACP is the oldest organizational champion of integration in existence today, and maybe the greatest in American history. Founded in 1909, as an integrated group with integrated leadership, the NAACP has historically not just suffered at the hands of racists, but also at the hands of black nationalists and separatists. No less then the W.E.B. Du Bois parted with the group, in part, because of its steadfast commitment to integration. In 1995, the NAACP, likely much to their peril, refused to support the Million Man March because of its disagreements with Louis Farrakhan."
http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2010/07/the-conversation-on-race/60362/

Last edited:
Immie, I respectfully submit that to blacks in America, racism is not "all in the past". I also submit if you are white, it's almost impossible for you to gauge the experience of such folks all on your own and decide it is invalid.

The NAACP does have egg on its face for rushing to judgment over Sherrod -- but who doesn't? In general, I think they have taken responsible steps to reduce racism (primarily by legal means) and their former executive, Benjamin Hooks, is onna my heros.

What would you have them do differently? Or do you just object to the organization's existence?

You've just made it personal. I support the work of the NAACP. The NAACP presses for justice and equality. Values I share. I also love my country.

I never said you did not love "our" country. I said that I do not believe the NAACP deserves the respect of people who do. I didn't say you should not respect them. Rather that I don't think you should.

I do not see what you see from the NAACP. I see hatred and little else. And not from everyone associated with it, but from the organization itself.

Immie

The NAACP is not a hate group. I don't support hate groups. In fact, I support the Southern Poverty Law Center because they monitor hate groups and fight them in court.

" The NAACP is the oldest organizational champion of integration in existence today, and maybe the greatest in American history. Founded in 1909, as an integrated group with integrated leadership, the NAACP has historically not just suffered at the hands of racists, but also at the hands of black nationalists and separatists. No less then the W.E.B. Du Bois parted with the group, in part, because of its steadfast commitment to integration. In 1995, the NAACP, likely much to their peril, refused to support the Million Man March because of its disagreements with Louis Farrakhan."
'The Conversation on Race' - National - The Atlantic
Not a hate group?

Yeah, that's why its members all giggled when Sherrod admitted she didn't use her full powers to help the WHITE farmer.

Immie

Not a hate group?

Yeah, that's why its members all giggled when Sherrod admitted she didn't use her full powers to help the WHITE farmer.
So a few giggles is evidence enough to indict the NAACP as a hate group, but there is no hate on the website of MassResistance.

Strange yardstick used to measure hate.

Immie, that might be a fair criticism of some groups, but I dun think it is fair as to the NAACP. Apart from the Shirley Sherrod debacle, what acts of the NAACP do you find to be divisive?

Actually, I do not believe that Shirley Sherrod is racist. I never said she was. I watched her speech and yes, there are some issues that I have with what she said, but I thought she was on target. She pointed out an issue that she had in the past and apparently, she grew from her mistakes.

I found the "resolution" that brought that issue to light to be racist.

There was a speech presented here a week or so ago by a man representing the NAACP. I do not remember who he was or even now, what he said, however, it was racist.

I think the attempt to divide Americans and always pointing out the evils of the white man (and yes there is evil there) is a racist attempt to divide Americans. I cannot change what happened during the first 180 or so years that we were a nation. I can only change the present and the future. Unfortunately, the NAACP won't let us forget the past.

The constant showing of signs supposedly at tea party events, without proof of who is holding the signs causes problems.

The NAACP is as guilty as the NBPP, the KKK, David Duke, Aryan Brotherhood etc. etc. etc. in causing racial tensions in America.

Whenever you continue to point out the evils of one race and the sainthood of the other, you are promoting hatred. That is what we receive from the NAACP.

Immie

The NAACP is interested in equal rights and promoting the self-esteem of people of color. I don't see any flaw in that.

I see no flaws in promoting equal rights or the self-esteem of people of color.

However, I believe that the NAACP deliberately attempts to bring about racial strife in America in order to continue their funding. You cannot do both. You cannot maintain the strife and bring about equal rights. All you accomplish when you attempt to do this is hatred from both sides.

Let's put it this way, I am white. I like most other people am sensitive and do not like being called evil simply because of the color of my skin. If, every time I see a speaker for the NAACP speak, he or she says that the white man is evil, I'm going to take that personally.

The cause of the organization may be well founded, and I believe the ideal of equality and promoting self-esteem for all is a great thing, but the methods are flawed in my point of view. You can promote equality without beating down others.

Immie

Actually, I do not believe that Shirley Sherrod is racist. I never said she was. I watched her speech and yes, there are some issues that I have with what she said, but I thought she was on target. She pointed out an issue that she had in the past and apparently, she grew from her mistakes.

I found the "resolution" that brought that issue to light to be racist.

There was a speech presented here a week or so ago by a man representing the NAACP. I do not remember who he was or even now, what he said, however, it was racist.

I think the attempt to divide Americans and always pointing out the evils of the white man (and yes there is evil there) is a racist attempt to divide Americans. I cannot change what happened during the first 180 or so years that we were a nation. I can only change the present and the future. Unfortunately, the NAACP won't let us forget the past.

The constant showing of signs supposedly at tea party events, without proof of who is holding the signs causes problems.

The NAACP is as guilty as the NBPP, the KKK, David Duke, Aryan Brotherhood etc. etc. etc. in causing racial tensions in America.

Whenever you continue to point out the evils of one race and the sainthood of the other, you are promoting hatred. That is what we receive from the NAACP.

Immie

The NAACP is interested in equal rights and promoting the self-esteem of people of color. I don't see any flaw in that.

However, I believe that the NAACP deliberately attempts to bring about racial strife in America in order to continue their funding. You cannot do both. You cannot maintain the strife and bring about equal rights. All you accomplish when you attempt to do this is hatred from both sides.

Let's put it this way, I am white. I like most other people am sensitive and do not like being called evil simply because of the color of my skin. If, every time I see a speaker for the NAACP speak, he or she says that the white man is evil, I'm going to take that personally.

The cause of the organization may be well founded, and I believe the ideal of equality and promoting self-esteem for all is a great thing, but the methods are flawed in my point of view. You can promote equality without beating down others.

Immie

The NACCP does not say that white people are evil.

Did you see that the NAACP didn't atttend the Million Man March because of problems with Farrakhan?

You're painting them as a radical and racist organization and they are actually a conservative civil rights organization.

Not a hate group?

So a few giggles is evidence enough to indict the NAACP as a hate group, but there is no hate on the website of MassResistance.

The members of a so called association that promotes equality for all would have booed her out of the damn building after that ridiculous statement. But noooooo, they giggled!

Immie

I respect that you see them in that light.

I do not.

What I see is... Immanuel is evil because he has white skin. Immanuel should pay reparations to us because he has white skin. Immanuel should be enslaved because he has white skin and he owes us for what people of his color did to us not so long ago.

Integrated? Right. How many white people have you seen speak at NAACP events? How many white people have been welcomed by the NAACP elite? The NAACP is not about integration it is as guilty of segregation as the George Wallace was.

Immie

Immie, I respectfully submit that to blacks in America, racism is not "all in the past". I also submit if you are white, it's almost impossible for you to gauge the experience of such folks all on your own and decide it is invalid.

The NAACP does have egg on its face for rushing to judgment over Sherrod -- but who doesn't? In general, I think they have taken responsible steps to reduce racism (primarily by legal means) and their former executive, Benjamin Hooks, is onna my heros.

What would you have them do differently? Or do you just object to the organization's existence?

What would I have them do?

Very simple. Truly become integrated. Truly welcome whites into their organization and leadership, not just to their donor lists. Welcome whites as brothers and sisters not just foolish donors.

Immie

If I remember correctly, his letter to President Lincoln was borderline racist and because of the heated debate over an equally racist resolution of the NAACP he was dismissed.

I do not know anything about Williams. I have not read anything of his except for a summary of the "Open Letter to President Lincoln" or listened to a single speech of his, but from what I understand, his letter was in response to the NAACP's own racism. It only goes to prove that if you whine loud enough, like the NAACP did, you can damage your enemies with half truths.

Immie

Immie, if you dun a thing about Mark Williams, how can you condemn the NAACP for "whining"? I am not a regular listener of his, but I recall posting a thread about this guy some time ago when he attacked Muslims as worshipping a "monkey god". I doubt such bile was out of character for him.

The NAACP looks foolish after the Shirley Sherrod thing, but overall its an organization with a decent track record. Mebbe they deserve to be more fully heard before being dismissed as "whiners"?

When the NAACP starts working to reconcile the races rather than divide them, I will be the first to extend the hand of friendship. Until such time, they are nothing more than a group that wants to cause a civil war in this country and they do not deserve my respect nor the respect of anyone that truly loves this nation.

Immie

Your mind is closed. There is no point discussing this further. Take care.

Not a hate group?

The members of a so called association that promotes equality for all would have booed her out of the damn building after that ridiculous statement. But noooooo, they giggled!
Just so we understand this: giggles are enough to uncover the hate in the NAACP while the anti-Gay screeds posted at the MassResistance site are just "free speech" in action.

Let's see who the Right wingers giggle at next, because now we have Jester's acid tested yardstick to measure "hate".

Immie

Not a hate group?

I didn't see it that way. I don't think all the people who are members of the NAACP are racists. I did not get the feeling that they were giggling about that. I truly did not. If I remember correctly and the way I read it was that when she said that she had learned from the experience and given aid to the white farmer, they applauded that.

It is not the people that are my problem, it is the leadership and the organization.

Not a hate group?

The NAACP is in no ways as hateful as what I saw on the MassResistance site. An organization need not even be hateful to make things worse in racial relations. The leaders of the NAACP might have hearts of gold, but in my humble opinion their methods are wrong. They are making things worse, not better.

Immie

Not a hate group?

No... they would not have if they heard her message as... "I made a mistake, but I learned from it and this is what I want you to take from this speech..."

Immie

Immie

The NACCP does not say that white people are evil.

Did you see that the NAACP didn't atttend the Million Man March because of problems with Farrakhan?

You're painting them as a radical and racist organization and they are actually a conservative civil rights organization.

Really? Then maybe they need to change their words, because that is the message that comes through loud and clear.

Immie

Just so we understand this: giggles are enough to uncover the hate in the NAACP while the anti-Gay screeds posted at the MassResistance site are just "free speech" in action.

Let's see who the Right wingers giggle at next, because now we have Jester's acid tested yardstick to measure "hate".
When have you seen me say ANYTHING about MassResistance, too include showing support for the MFer's?.....They are no better then the NAACP.

Fact is, the NAACP is an organization that continually shows a willingness to divide. Shows a willingness to blame the whites for all their woes. Fact is, I owe the blacks nothing. I don't have any locked up in a shed in my backyard for use as slaves. In fact, i've provided well paying jobs with full benefits to many through the years.

The NAACP needs to seriously take a look at what is really keeping the blacks down. The liberal policies that only keep them on a cycle of poverty. They need to look within and understand that the black community is keeping themselves down.

Even Jesse Jackson gets it. Here's the words from one of his speeches a few years back:

Can I get a word in this?...When we went to church on Sunday morning, they didn't have to lock the church, nobody was there stealing no organ in no church. That's when we were in slavery! Now we've gotten free and foolish! And then everybody went around [saying], "What's wrong with those negroes? What's wrong with those Hispanics? What's wrong?"
I know what's wrong. We've gotten to Cannab, and we're free and foolish. Man, we've lost our....we know better. We know you ought to raise the babies you make, we know better! You know you have to go to school, you know better! You know you ought to make your neighborhood safe, you know better! You know you shouldn't throw paper on the street and walk away from it, you know better! You know you shouldn't curse in front of children, you know better! You shouldnt' rape anybody, you know better! WE know better!
Thirty years ago we prayed to God....we prayed to god to be protected by law.....And here we are, thirty years later, No Bull Connor to stop us now, no George Wallace to stop us now. Thirty years later, no trenches being bombed, thirty years later no Klan threatening us. We've lost more lives to dope than we ever lost to the rope!
Thirty years later, we're not threatened by someone wearing a white sheet and a hood. We're threatened by a brother, who is a hood living in the hood.

Yeah, he gets it. One day, hopefully, the NAACP gets it, and stops blaming the white man for their woes!

Last edited:

Very simple. Truly become integrated. Truly welcome whites into their organization and leadership, not just to their donor lists. Welcome whites as brothers and sisters not just foolish donors.

Immie

So this criticism you have is based on your feelings of being excluded?

Immie

More it is based upon the feeling that I am hated because of what I am.

Immie

When have you seen me say ANYTHING about MassResistance, too include showing support for the MFer's?.....They are no better then the NAACP.

Fact is, the NAACP is an organization that continually shows a willingness to divide. Shows a willingness to blame the whites for all their woes. Fact is, I owe the blacks nothing. I don't have any locked up in a shed in my backyard for use as slaves. In fact, i've provided well paying jobs with full benefits to many through the years.

The NAACP needs to seriously take a look at what is really keeping the blacks down. The liberal policies that only keep them on a cycle of poverty. They need to look within and understand that the black community is keeping themselves down.

Even Jesse Jackson gets it. Here's the words from one of his speeches a few years back:

Can I get a word in this?...When we went to church on Sunday morning, they didn't have to lock the church, nobody was there stealing no organ in no church. That's when we were in slavery! Now we've gotten free and foolish! And then everybody went around [saying], "What's wrong with those negroes? What's wrong with those Hispanics? What's wrong?"
I know what's wrong. We've gotten to Cannab, and we're free and foolish. Man, we've lost our....we know better. We know you ought to raise the babies you make, we know better! You know you have to go to school, you know better! You know you ought to make your neighborhood safe, you know better! You know you shouldn't throw paper on the street and walk away from it, you know better! You know you shouldn't curse in front of children, you know better! You shouldnt' rape anybody, you know better! WE know better!
Thirty years ago we prayed to God....we prayed to god to be protected by law.....And here we are, thirty years later, No Bull Connor to stop us now, no George Wallace to stop us now. Thirty years later, no trenches being bombed, thirty years later no Klan threatening us. We've lost more lives to dope than we ever lost to the rope!
Thirty years later, we're not threatened by someone wearing a white sheet and a hood. We're threatened by a brother, who is a hood living in the hood.

Yeah, he gets it. One day, hopefully, the NAACP gets it, and stops blaming the white man for their woes!
I too believe the woes of the African American community are self inflicted. But I believe it's a cultural problem, not a political problem. If I thought there was some way to blame political leaders, I probably would pursue that course. After all, it's easier to change political leadership than culture. Somehow, I think you're really willing to put all the blame on politics.

I can't blame you. You're Conservative and blaming stuff on Liberal politics is the easiest way out for you. But, I think you'd be wrong.

Blame the Black community at large for their problems. Take a look at the American Jewish community. These folks bore just as great a persecution at the hands of white Conservatives as any other group here in America. Yet, the Jewish community took education and self promotion seriously. they stressed academic advancement. And today, the Jewish Americans are thriving and successful and no longer suffer the indignities of discrimination.

If Blacks used the Jews as a paradigm of hope and change, there would be nothing to stop them.

Immie

More it is based upon the feeling that I am hated because of what I am.

Immie

That is indeed a terrible feeling, Immie. It is not one I have ever had coming from the NAACP.

I'd like to hear more of what experiences you have had that led you to feel this way.

I too believe the woes of the African American community are self inflicted. But I believe it's a cultural problem, not a political problem. If I thought there was some way to blame political leaders, I probably would pursue that course. After all, it's easier to change political leadership than culture. Somehow, I think you're really willing to put all the blame on politics.

I can't blame you. You're Conservative and blaming stuff on Liberal politics is the easiest way out for you. But, I think you'd be wrong.

Blame the Black community at large for their problems. Take a look at the American Jewish community. These folks bore just as great a persecution at the hands of white Conservatives as any other group here in America. Yet, the Jewish community took education and self promotion seriously. they stressed academic advancement. And today, the Jewish Americans are thriving and successful and no longer suffer the indignities of discrimination.

If Blacks used the Jews as a paradigm of hope and change, there would be nothing to stop them.

I'm not sure any of us escapes responsibility for blighted lives lived in the midst of poverty, hunger, hopelessness, bad education and crime.

Forum List

Back