Chinese food

Seriously...

WHY? :dunno:

Chinese foods are an art & health recipe of mostly vegetables and less meats. Of course you cannot expect to much meat on rat-ribs. The best part is the delivery to your door. You can't get a T-bone or tacos delivered to your door,....only if you hire a private pick-up service to go get for you.

I mean it seems strange pizza & Chinese food can be delivered, but no one starts a business delivering other types of foods.

There's just such a service here. They'll collect and deliver from most restaurants in town.

Urban life has its perks.

Yes it does. I have talked to several Mexican restaurants about this, and they seem to think people wouldn't want it delivered or it would be too expensive.

Just a few personal observations I thought I'd share with you all.

Isn't it strange that the girl who takes your order quietly whispers to the customer and then goes and screams your order to the, often illegal immigrant, chef.

Westerners are rather restricted in what they order, in that they don't usually have a decent command of Cantonese, so they bypass most of what's on offer for fear of spending money on something that tastes vile.

You're hungry again after your post-flied lice burp.

Last edited:
If you go to China and order LoMein beware of your pronunciation "Lomin" is the correct way "lomain" is chitlins aka pig intestines. I found out the hard way.

If you go to China and order LoMein beware of your pronunciation "Lomin" is the correct way "lomain" is chitlins aka pig intestines. I found out the hard way.

The same thing can happen here, what with the chicken craze going on. I ordered a chicken fried steak, which is usually breaded veil with white gravy. Instead I got a real chicken fried steak. I think the real name of the veil platter is Salisbury steak, but that has brown gravy.

Seriously...

growing up jewish in brooklyn, chinese food on sunday was a mandatory thing.

there's an old joke that goes like this:

the jewish calendar is almost 6,000 years old
the chinese calendar is almost 5,000 years old.

that means for a 1,000 years jews had to live without chinese food.
Jillian,

When I was a young man (50s) we would cruise Ocean Parkway in my friend Joey's '41 LaSalle convertible, pick up Jewish girls (who usually were very pretty) and go to Coney Island for Nathan's and a little necking on the boardwalk (or whatever).

Fond memories.

Did you ever go to the Rock & Roll shows at the Fox (or are you too young to have experienced those glorious days?)

Seriously...

growing up jewish in brooklyn, chinese food on sunday was a mandatory thing.

there's an old joke that goes like this:

the jewish calendar is almost 6,000 years old
the chinese calendar is almost 5,000 years old.

that means for a 1,000 years jews had to live without chinese food.
Jillian,

When I was a young man (50s) we would cruise Ocean Parkway in my friend Joey's '41 LaSalle convertible, pick up Jewish girls (who usually were very pretty) and go to Coney Island for Nathan's and a little necking on the boardwalk (or whatever).

Fond memories.

Did you ever go to the Rock & Roll shows at the Fox (or are you too young to have experienced those glorious days?)

sorry. that was before my time. :) where was the fox? sounds like you had a lot of fun then. i still go to nathans only now i take my son. i used to ride the carrousel in coney island with my dad every memorial day. then we'd go for hot dogs. did that until my folks moved to jersey. and we went ice skating at Abe Stark every sunday when the weather was too cold for bike riding.

Last edited:
Seriously...

Chinese foods are an art & health recipe of mostly vegetables and less meats. Of course you cannot expect to much meat on rat-ribs. The best part is the delivery to your door. You can't get a T-bone or tacos delivered to your door,....only if you hire a private pick-up service to go get it for you.

I mean it seems strange pizza & Chinese food can be delivered, but no one starts a business delivering other types of foods.

we have diners that deliver everything... including steaks. :)

sorry. that was before my time. :) where was the fox?
Wow. You must be young.

The Fox Theater was on Flatbush Avenue Extension at the corner of Nevins Street and it was a virtual palace with a loge, a mezzanine and two balconies. The place was enormous, with thick red velvet carpeting and brass posts with velvet ropes, huge marble staircases and heavy red velvet draperies. There were enormous hanging chandeliers, big comfortable rest rooms on every floor, a rest room lounge in the basement with big leather sofas and a bank of comfortable telephone booths (a nickel a call in those days).

Admission was .65 before 6pm, .75 after six, 1.25 on weekends and they showed two main features and a bunch of other short films. So if I tell you I haven't been to a movie theater in over thirty years it's because I'm spoiled. I went to one of these new so-called movie theaters once and that was it. I felt like I was in a third world country. They are cramped, noisy shoe boxes, they show one movie and charge ten bucks admission. I wouldn't care if admission was free, I still wouldn't go to one of them. They are terrible. Ask an elder in your Brooklyn family. They will tell you about the Fox, the Brooklyn Paramount and the Loews Metropolitan. Palaces.

sounds like you had a lot of fun then.
If I could make a movie about life as a boy growing up in South Brooklyn in the 50s it would win an award.

Fun? It was a different world from today. So was America.

i still go to nathans only now i take my son. i used to ride the carrousel in coney island with my dad every memorial day. then we'd go for hot dogs. did that until my folks moved to jersey. and we went ice skating at Abe Stark every sunday when the weather was too cold for bike riding.

I live in Jersey now because the Brooklyn I knew was breathing its last breaths when I got out of the service in 1960. The last time I went back, which was about fifteen years ago, it was like visiting the grave of an old friend. I was depressed for days afterward.

I order Moo Goo Gai Pan but instead of the white sauce, I ask for garlic sauce with Black bean sauce added......... and spicy...... killer!
In Denver I had a favorite Chinese place that served a Jalapeno Chicken that I would substitute broccoli for the bell peppers, I ate there 4-5 lunches a week, same dish. Their Hot and Sour Soup at night was the best I have ever had, made fresh to order with a bunch of large shrimp.
PF Changs Shrimp Kung Pao is outstanding also.

I eat everything except for swine and dog.
When BSE came, I stopped eating beef brain.
My grandma used to make soups where either a beef's or a sheep's head is in the pot.
As a young kid, I didn't really like eating it, but it trained me to eat everything what comes on the dish.

Forum List

Back