Chinese Diesel Heater

BasicHumanUnit

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2013
Everywhere needed
Anyone else have one of these? The non Chinese version is about $1200.00.... China offers them for about $130 USD
Sucks having to buy Chinese but 10 times the price?
I'll bet everyone in Texas wishes they had one.

I have 3.

2KW (A real one, not a detuned 5kw)
5KW
8KW (actually just a tuned 5kw heater)

All run perfectly.

Never tried one but I generally don't have problems with Harbor Freight products except 1 time I had a missing part that was a PITA to get. Because I had to wait for them to get and ship me a whole other one by fedex ground fish the missing part out of that box and then have fed ground come get the thing and ship it back. Took about 2 and half weeks total as there is no fed ex place in my city. The HB stuff is often made in China.

Anyone else have one of these? The non Chinese version is about $1200.00.... China offers them for about $130 USD

I have 3.

5KW

All run perfectly.
Link please.

I had a Espar diesel heater...didn't last long. Diesel vehicles are usually combusted by pressure. In order to burn diesel fuel must be atomized. The nozzles get carboned up over time and must be replaced or cleaned. Diesel and #2 home heating oil is the same stuff BTW...so you can read about oil furnace maintenance and get more info.

Plus it's a PITA to store diesel. It must be treated or algae will grow in it AND at temps below 17 degrees it will gel without treatment.

Home heating oil is stored underground or inside to avoid gelling and must also be treated for algae control.

A good propane heater (wall mounted) will set you back the same amount ($130) and a local propane dealer will bring you a 500 gallon tank usually for free.

The down side of that is they will be the only ones who can fill it...sho you won't be able to shop around for the best price.

Right now we use Mr Heater portable propane heaters all the time...and I just last week discovered I could refill the one pound disposable cylinders myself for around a dollar ten each.

See the thread on it in The Garage...

Propane back up is the way to go IMO. Plus add a propane stove and you can cook and heat in an emergency.

Last edited:
A lot of perceived diesel problems go away when you substitute #1 fuel for #2. But #1 is somewhat "drier" than #2 so it really needs a lubricating additive like "HOT". But anti-freeze products cannot be substituted. They are further "drying" and lower the flash point of even
#2 fuel to nearly that of gasoline. A serious danger. If using #2 for heating best to store the bulk of the supply outdoors and set up a self-filling indoor "day tank" so the fuel hitting the heater (or generator) is warmed and won't clog things up. Oh, I don't like to use anything with less than 1-1/2 inch diameter for the connection between the outdoor and indoor tanks. Had too many bad experiences around -50 and never got comfortable trying to heat black iron pipe with a torch.

A lot of perceived diesel problems go away when you substitute #1 fuel for #2. But #1 is somewhat "drier" than #2 so it really needs a lubricating additive like "HOT". But anti-freeze products cannot be substituted. They are further "drying" and lower the flash point of even
#2 fuel to nearly that of gasoline. A serious danger. If using #2 for heating best to store the bulk of the supply outdoors and set up a self-filling indoor "day tank" so the fuel hitting the heater (or generator) is warmed and won't clog things up. Oh, I don't like to use anything with less than 1-1/2 inch diameter for the connection between the outdoor and indoor tanks. Had too many bad experiences around -50 and never got comfortable trying to heat black iron pipe with a torch.
Hard to purchase #1 diesel south of I-90 these days.

s-l500.jpg

I have 3.

5KW

All run perfectly.
Link please.

I had a Espar diesel heater...didn't last long. Diesel vehicles are usually combusted by pressure. In order to burn diesel fuel must be atomized. The nozzles get carboned up over time and must be replaced or cleaned. Diesel and #2 home heating oil is the same stuff BTW...so you can read about oil furnace maintenance and get more info.

Plus it's a PITA to store diesel. It must be treated or algae will grow in it AND at temps below 17 degrees it will gel without treatment.

Home heating oil is stored underground or inside to avoid gelling and must also be treated for algae control.

A good propane heater (wall mounted) will set you back the same amount ($130) and a local propane dealer will bring you a 500 gallon tank usually for free.

The down side of that is they will be the only ones who can fill it...sho you won't be able to shop around for the best price.

Right now we use Mr Heater portable propane heaters all the time...and I just last week discovered I could refill the one pound disposable cylinders myself for around a dollar ten each.

See the thread on it in The Garage...

Propane back up is the way to go IMO. Plus add a propane stove and you can cook and heat in an emergency.

Everyone in the camping industry is dumping the propane and Buddy heaters. MANY reasons why. Outdated tech.
Propane causes excessive humidity for one thing.

Diesel heaters produce clean, dry heat and about 5000kw per hour for less than a DIME. might be cheaper than your utility.

If you're still using propane for camper / RV trips.........oops

Last edited:

Forum List

Back