China expected to unveil 7% hike in military budget as tensions rise

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
The West is going to get what it deserves. Nobody this time can say "hey, how could we have known?"

"Never again", should be a question now and not a statement motto. It is happening again, and we are passively endorsing it while actively supporting it economically.

With the coronavirus hammering its economy, China last year announced a 6.6 per cent boost in defence spending to $178 billion, the lowest rate of increase in three decades.

The new administration of President Joe Biden has moved quickly to remind Beijing that the United States intends to compete with China’s growing influence and military strength in the Asia-Pacific. In recent weeks, powerful U.S. warship fleets have sailed near Chinese-claimed Taiwan and through disputed territory in the South China Sea, to Beijing’s anger.

“China is facing the most severe security situation since the Korean War,” said Ni Lexiong, a retired professor at the Shanghai University of Political Science and Law.

He predicts a substantial hike in China’s military budget, citing U.S. arms sales to Taiwan, regular deployments of U.S. aircraft carriers off the China coast and the recent presence of a French warship and nuclear submarine in the South China Sea.

“Looking at public opinion, it has become more urgent to take back Taiwan militarily. That is why the budget will surely rise sharply,” he said.

Ross Babbage, a non-resident fellow at the Washington-based Centre for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments and former Australian defence official, expects a rise of about 7%.

Last edited:
China last year announced a 6.6 per cent boost in defence spending to $178 billion
(Why can't these people not spell?)

Meanwhile at the bat cave of US military command announces:

The FY2020 measure provides $622.6 billion in base Department of Defense funding and $70.6 billion in OCO funding. The bill also includes $1.8 billion in emergency funding.

Last edited:
The FY2020 measure provides $622.6 billion in base Department of Defense funding and $70.6 billion in OCO funding. The bill also includes $1.8 billion in emergency funding.
I would spend even more than that to make sure that American soldiers have the best weapons and the best chance to win with the best chance to return home alive

I would spend even more than that to make sure that American soldiers have the best weapons and the best chance to win with the best chance to return home alive
America spends $622 billion
China spends $178 billion.

And you're worried America is being outspent?

We had better take these commies out now while we still can.....we have proven to ourselves that they will never reform....

Ametica spends $622 billion

How much is each America soldiers life worth to you?

to me its worth 3 times or even 4 times more than a chinese soldiers life

Yes, but the costs to the Chinese for their labour and research (when thy aren't stealing) is FAR lower than the U.S costs.

So, there are some that argue that Chinas spending is at least par with the U.S, many say it is HIGHER on a price adjusted measure. $200B U.S goes a hell of a lot further in communist controlled China than it does in America.

Yes, but the costs to the Chinese for their labour and research (when thy aren't stealing) is FAR lower than the U.S costs. So, there are some that argue that Chinas spending is at least par with the U.S, many say it is HIGHER on a price adjusted measure. $200B U.S goes a hell of a lot further in communist controlled China than it does in America.
Yes it does if you want the cheap weapons but it doesn't by the high grade stuff nor do they maintain thousands of nukes.

Let them jack up their military spending more and more. Has everyone already forgotten how the Soviet Union ended?

How much is each America soldiers life worth to you?

to me its worth 3 times or even 4 times more than a chinese soldiers life
Then we're definitely in trouble. China has 30 million men it can put under arms.

Yes, but the costs to the Chinese for their labour and research (when thy aren't stealing) is FAR lower than the U.S costs.

So, there are some that argue that Chinas spending is at least par with the U.S, many say it is HIGHER on a price adjusted measure. $200B U.S goes a hell of a lot further in communist controlled China than it does in America.
True

china steals our technology, has a conscription military and at the present time devotes all its military power to dominating Asia

that puts us in a challenging position

Let them jack up their military spending more and more. Has everyone already forgotten how the Soviet Union ended?
Dont compare the economically lethargic soviet union with communist china

moscow could barely walk and chew gum at the same time

I have far more respect for the chinese

Yes it does if you want the cheap weapons but it doesn't by the high grade stuff nor do they maintain thousands of nukes.
Japan had a superior navy and air arm that the US at the start of the Pacific War

Just as US quality is still better than china today

but the US had more industrial capacity than Japan then, just as china is surpassing America today

and we know how that turned out

Japan had a superior navy and air arm that the US at the start of the Pacific War

Just as US quality is still better than china today

but the US had more industrial capacity than Japan then, just as china is surpassing America today

and we know how that turned out
So you're saying that in a conventional shooting war, that America would lose against China, no matter how much we currently spend on the military.

It isn't that simple, since America spreads its military all over the world acting like a policeman or to fight terrorism, while China's military is for China only that much more concentrated in the China's region.

I have long known that America outspend more than the next 15-20 nations COMBINED on the military, which is absurd since the threats to our border is nonexistent, while we generally ignore the porous immigration borders where drugs and criminals flow through a lot, bringing in internal rot in the American heartland with crime, disease and drug abuse.

The West is going to get what it deserves. Nobody this time can say "hey, how could we have known?"

"Never again", should be a question now and not a statement motto. It is happening again, and we are passively endorsing it while actively supporting it economically.

With the coronavirus hammering its economy, China last year announced a 6.6 per cent boost in defence spending to $178 billion, the lowest rate of increase in three decades.

The new administration of President Joe Biden has moved quickly to remind Beijing that the United States intends to compete with China’s growing influence and military strength in the Asia-Pacific. In recent weeks, powerful U.S. warship fleets have sailed near Chinese-claimed Taiwan and through disputed territory in the South China Sea, to Beijing’s anger.

“China is facing the most severe security situation since the Korean War,” said Ni Lexiong, a retired professor at the Shanghai University of Political Science and Law.

He predicts a substantial hike in China’s military budget, citing U.S. arms sales to Taiwan, regular deployments of U.S. aircraft carriers off the China coast and the recent presence of a French warship and nuclear submarine in the South China Sea.

“Looking at public opinion, it has become more urgent to take back Taiwan militarily. That is why the budget will surely rise sharply,” he said.

Ross Babbage, a non-resident fellow at the Washington-based Centre for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments and former Australian defence official, expects a rise of about 7%.
Meanwhile the former U.s. navy says recruits should be strong advocates of a cause ....pfffft

Like the fight against white supremacy

... since the threats to our border is nonexistent, while we generally ignore the porous immigration borders where drugs and criminals flow through a lot, bringing in internal rot in the American heartland with crime, disease and drug abuse.
The irony of that, is that there has been a bigger threat from internal terrorism, than from foreign terrorism. The body count from white supremacists far outnumbers that from al-queda / ISIS.

So you're saying that in a conventional shooting war, that America would lose against China, no matter how much we currently spend on the military.
It depends on the war

Armchair generals are notoriously bad at predicting the future and I am no exception

but looking at history when two forces are about equal even the winner suffers horrible casualities

I dont want to merely defeat the chinese

I want our soldiers to slaughter them on par with what happened in Korea

and if we can do that chances are 99-1 that there will be no war

Forum List

Back