child dies after workers refuse to fix his medicaid record

And she absolutely knew an asthma attack could KILL HIM -because every doctor ALWAYS makes sure parents know that asthma can kill their child if not treated or if the child is without an emergency inhaler!

Are you positive about that? My son had RSV and I have asthma..my doctor never once told me asthma could kill me...in fact, he told me it very rarely does cause life threatening illness. So they don't always do what you say and asthma medicine is EXPENSIVE extremely so, it is also an approved medication through medicaid. If she was denied her medication because of an error at the medicaid office that is why they were named and not the pharmacy. If the pharmacy was too lazy to pick up the phone and find out then they are also neglectful and I am not their attorney so I don't know the details of why they are not being sued, perhaps they are witnesses on behalf of the plaintiff? Also, why should a woman be charged with neglect when she went to the pharmacy and she was denied that medication? She had the insurance..and while it was medicaid.being poor is not a crime and it is covered under medcaid so yeah I would say they were neglectful moreso than she was.

There are the "several months" in between. The pharmacy had to have been on the phone to make the determination that her meds weren't covered. The pharmacy would only have trouble if human services told them she was approved for the meds and they did not give them to her. And the law sute is a civel right case, not a wrongful death law suet.

civil rightsplural of civ·il rights
Noun: The rights of citizens to political and social freedom and equality. More »
Dictionary.com - Answers.com - Merriam-Webster - The Free Dictionary

How were they violated ? we dont know. The article leaves allot out.

And she absolutely knew an asthma attack could KILL HIM -because every doctor ALWAYS makes sure parents know that asthma can kill their child if not treated or if the child is without an emergency inhaler!

Are you positive about that? My son had RSV and I have asthma..my doctor never once told me asthma could kill me...in fact, he told me it very rarely does cause life threatening illness. So they don't always do what you say and asthma medicine is EXPENSIVE extremely so, it is also an approved medication through medicaid. If she was denied her medication because of an error at the medicaid office that is why they were named and not the pharmacy. If the pharmacy was too lazy to pick up the phone and find out then they are also neglectful and I am not their attorney so I don't know the details of why they are not being sued, perhaps they are witnesses on behalf of the plaintiff? Also, why should a woman be charged with neglect when she went to the pharmacy and she was denied that medication? She had the insurance..and while it was medicaid.being poor is not a crime and it is covered under medcaid so yeah I would say they were neglectful moreso than she was.
I checked up on this, Xchel. By far, most people who get asthma have the type that is non life-threatening, because for some reason, their body's response is enough to thwart the disease down to nothing. Maybe one in a hundred people who have asthma get into a life-threatening situation, I didn't find stats on it. That's why treatment is so essential. If a person was mildly exposed for over 10 days, and his body developed an allergy to it at any time in the past, his first obvious reaction may be a situation in which he is near death.

There are just too many factors for us laypersons to know about with re to asthma. The best we can do is to tell sufferers or their parents to get help and try to deal with the shortness-of-breath issue first.

Respiratory diseases are a kind of health crap shoot. A touch of bronchitis can quickly mutate into full-blown pneumonia that can kill a healthy man in just a couple of days. Just look at what happened to Jim Henson, creator of the Muppets and Sesame Street collaborator. He thought he had a cold. By the time he realized it was serious, even the hospital couldn't save him from the sudden death he experienced.

Life is shortened by a lot of things people don't understand. But when someone kills people by computer glitch or negligence, we should hesitate with all brakes on 4 wheels to point a finger at the parent who did all she could do to help her child.

This mother not only has to deal with the grievous loss of a child, resting on her shoulders in a lawsuit none of us wants to hear about, is the whether-or-not other people have to go through the same issue in the US of A.

Status asthmaticus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

RSV =/= Asthma.

So, let's go down the basics of ACLS with the ABCDE, Airway, Breathing, Circulation, Displacement, Exposure stepwise approach.

We can stop at the first, and most important step A: Airway. Asthma causes bronchoconstriction of the airway which is why people get all wheezy. When people have to fight to breath, eventually their diaphraghms fatigue out, they go into respiratory failure and die.

If you come into the ER and are struggling for air and can't speak in full sentences, you just earned yourself an intubation and possible time on the ventaltor.

So, yes, asthma kills people. It's part of that whole breathing and airway thing.

That's why albuterol is called a "rescue inhaler" and asthma is graded from mild, to moderate, to severe (and therapy is changed) based on how many times a person has to use their inhaler.

Note, this is not directed at you, but rather some of the dumbfucks on this thread who think that denying an albuterol inhaler or salumeterol or adviar or whatever to a child with severe asthma is something you can mess around with. I guess you can make the argument that this mother could have prostituted herself out to get her son's meds.

But pragmatically, someone fucked up. Our civil litigation service exists to punish non-criminal fuck ups.

Some woman's child is dead due to a clerical error. I hope someone pays appropriately for it.

I checked up on this, Xchel. By far, most people who get asthma have the type that is non life-threatening, because for some reason, their body's response is enough to thwart the disease down to nothing. Maybe one in a hundred people who have asthma get into a life-threatening situation, I didn't find stats on it. That's why treatment is so essential. If a person was mildly exposed for over 10 days, and his body developed an allergy to it at any time in the past, his first obvious reaction may be a situation in which he is near death.

There are just too many factors for us laypersons to know about with re to asthma. The best we can do is to tell sufferers or their parents to get help and try to deal with the shortness-of-breath issue first.

Respiratory diseases are a kind of health crap shoot. A touch of bronchitis can quickly mutate into full-blown pneumonia that can kill a healthy man in just a couple of days. Just look at what happened to Jim Henson, creator of the Muppets and Sesame Street collaborator. He thought he had a cold. By the time he realized it was serious, even the hospital couldn't save him from the sudden death he experienced.

Life is shortened by a lot of things people don't understand. But when someone kills people by computer glitch or negligence, we should hesitate with all brakes on 4 wheels to point a finger at the parent who did all she could do to help her child.

This mother not only has to deal with the grievous loss of a child, resting on her shoulders in a lawsuit none of us wants to hear about, is the whether-or-not other people have to go through the same issue in the US of A.

Not all asthma is created equal.

p319-001.jpg

and the treatment is not the same. For mild intermittant, you can use a short acting B2 agonist (albuterol), for mild persistent you add a low dose inhaled steroid, for moderate you add a long term b-agonist like salmeterol, for severe asthma you add daily PO steroids.

So, the disease of "asthma" can range from a simple disease where the child or adult has to carry an inhaler or a severe disease where they have to carry an inhaler and then use 3-4 additional treatments.

Furthermore, the newest evidence shows that (like it's obstructive lung pathologic cousin, COPD, asthma causes progressively worsening lung function and loss of lung function that can't be regained.

It's nothing to full around with. For the knuckleheads on here, if asthma were this totally benign condition in children, obviously it wouldn't be covered under medicaid, now would it?

There was no reason this child shouldn't have had his medications other than an error. This woman is right to want legal remedy.

In Colorado Neglect is abuse, and abuse is neglect. Thats why they charge people with abuse/neglect. This is the states definition not mine-

Any case in which a child is a child in need of services because of the child’s parents, legal guardian,
or custodian fails to take the same actions to provide adequate food, clothing, shelter, medical care,
or supervision that a prudent parent would take. The requirements of this subparagraph (III) shall
be subject to the provisions of section 19-3-103.

Thees two from the link say she committed a crime.

Any case in which a child is a child in need of services because of the child’s parents, legal guardian,
or custodian fails to take the same actions to provide adequate food, clothing, shelter, medical care,

http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/ps/cctf/canmanual/app1.pdf

With her complaints against the State, I doubt the State will charge her with a crime. That is not to say the mother couldn't have been more aggressive in caring for the boy. But, in fairness, when I was her age, I wouldn't have known that doctors had samples or medicines. I didn't know that until I started working as an NP. No once before that had I nor any of my family been handed a sample drug.

He didn't die at home. She did take him to a hospital where he was on a vent for a few days before he died.

I think thees days they have more on hand. I have SVT and high blood pressure. I take this crap called nebivolol, now I have superb insurance, and my Dr. still tries to send me out with it. Maybe there are legal issues ib thr state that prevents it, I dont know, Im just a bindelstiff on a message board with an opinion, and you know what they sat about those ! Regardless, it is sad.

Are you able to vagal yourself down or have you ever gotten the adenosine bolus?

That looks particularly miserable.

RSV =/= Asthma.

So, let's go down the basics of ACLS with the ABCDE, Airway, Breathing, Circulation, Displacement, Exposure stepwise approach.

We can stop at the first, and most important step A: Airway. Asthma causes bronchoconstriction of the airway which is why people get all wheezy. When people have to fight to breath, eventually their diaphraghms fatigue out, they go into respiratory failure and die.

If you come into the ER and are struggling for air and can't speak in full sentences, you just earned yourself an intubation and possible time on the ventaltor.

So, yes, asthma kills people. It's part of that whole breathing and airway thing.

That's why albuterol is called a "rescue inhaler" and asthma is graded from mild, to moderate, to severe (and therapy is changed) based on how many times a person has to use their inhaler.

Note, this is not directed at you, but rather some of the dumbfucks on this thread who think that denying an albuterol inhaler or salumeterol or adviar or whatever to a child with severe asthma is something you can mess around with. I guess you can make the argument that this mother could have prostituted herself out to get her son's meds.

But pragmatically, someone fucked up. Our civil litigation service exists to punish non-criminal fuck ups.

Some woman's child is dead due to a clerical error. I hope someone pays appropriately for it.
Thanks, Geaux, for cutting to the chase and delivering an accurate diagnosis of where the fault lies. It's so important that people who do clerical work in human clinical health issues have some semblance of knowledge on the seriousness of the illness represented on paper and a little pharmacology knowledge as well. Competency in the healthcare field is paramount, no matter which rung of the ladder one may find him- or herself. Private of public health care? I can't say, but if it can't deliver competence from top to bottom, it may not be the best system, and that is for another thread.

This thread is about the one boy who died, his mother's loss, and who caused the loss. I think Geaux and a couple of others came to the correct conclusion.

How can a denial of benefits CAUSE DEATH???? If the mother had walked into any ER, heck, any doctor's office with the child the child would have been treated.

Death was not caused because she didn't have benefits. Death was caused because the kid had asthma, and she didn't get her into the ER timely. Which sometimes happens with asthma. I know a DA who dropped dead while jogging...he wasn't even 40 years old, he had medical, he just had an attack at an unfortunate time.

Point is, it's not the fault of someone who works administering programs in an office somewhere when a parent is too fucking stupid to take her kid to the ER.

That's some bizarre logic right there. The kid was denied his meds, and because of that went into respiratory failure, but he would have been saved if he had made it to the ED in time? Well, no shit. He wouldn't have had to go to the ED if he had his meds.

It's like saying, the guy got shot seven times and died of shock, but if they would have gotten him to the ED in time, they probably could have saved him!

I think you would be hard pressed to find a physician who would advocate medical resuscitation in the ED versus prevention of the underlying pathology.

I am going to go out on a limb and guess you haven't spent much time in EDs have you?

Not all asthma is created equal.

p319-001.jpg

and the treatment is not the same. For mild intermittant, you can use a short acting B2 agonist (albuterol), for mild persistent you add a low dose inhaled steroid, for moderate you add a long term b-agonist like salmeterol, for severe asthma you add daily PO steroids.

So, the disease of "asthma" can range from a simple disease where the child or adult has to carry an inhaler or a severe disease where they have to carry an inhaler and then use 3-4 additional treatments.

Furthermore, the newest evidence shows that (like it's obstructive lung pathologic cousin, COPD, asthma causes progressively worsening lung function and loss of lung function that can't be regained.

It's nothing to full around with. For the knuckleheads on here, if asthma were this totally benign condition in children, obviously it wouldn't be covered under medicaid, now would it?

There was no reason this child shouldn't have had his medications other than an error. This woman is right to want legal remedy.
Thanks for your eagle eye in picking out what happened, Geaux, and making all of us here a little smarter than we were before you showed up. Most of us laypersons, if we hadn't known someone with a serious lung issue caused by this heinous issue, could nail it so well. Kudos.

Quote- Note, this is not directed at you, but rather some of the dumbfucks on this thread who think that denying an albuterol inhaler or salumeterol or adviar or whatever to a child with severe asthma is something you can mess around with. I guess you can make the argument that this mother could have prostituted herself out to get her son's meds. QUOTE

Fron the article-

"Her son's asthma worsened after several months of being off the anti-inflammatory drug Advair, which kept the disease manageable".

No mention of the other drugs. here is a quote from another article about the same thing.

After two weeks, his benefits were reinstated.

"I did get it worked out, finally," Tafoya said. "But it's because I called every day and I know what I'm doing."

Paperwork maze endangering Colorado Medicaid patients - The Denver Post

the difference between the two is one got the meds in two weeks after the problem was solved. The reoccurring theme here is the government system failed. This is an example of how it will go under Obama care.

And more on Zumante from the article above-.

"The boy still had an inhaler and nebulizer, but being without Advair was creating a life-threatening situation that his mother didn't recognize until it was too late."

RSV =/= Asthma.

The child isn't dead because of a clerical error. The child is dead because the mother didn't have the sense to pursue treatment if it wasn't handed to her with a "thank you for taking this free medicine" comment from the pharmacy.

So the child is dead because he #1, had asthma, and #2, had a stupid or lazy mother.

How can a denial of benefits CAUSE DEATH???? If the mother had walked into any ER, heck, any doctor's office with the child the child would have been treated.

Death was not caused because she didn't have benefits. Death was caused because the kid had asthma, and she didn't get her into the ER timely. Which sometimes happens with asthma. I know a DA who dropped dead while jogging...he wasn't even 40 years old, he had medical, he just had an attack at an unfortunate time.

Point is, it's not the fault of someone who works administering programs in an office somewhere when a parent is too fucking stupid to take her kid to the ER.

That's some bizarre logic right there. The kid was denied his meds, and because of that went into respiratory failure, but he would have been saved if he had made it to the ED in time? Well, no shit. He wouldn't have had to go to the ED if he had his meds.

It's like saying, the guy got shot seven times and died of shock, but if they would have gotten him to the ED in time, they probably could have saved him!

I think you would be hard pressed to find a physician who would advocate medical resuscitation in the ED versus prevention of the underlying pathology.

I am going to go out on a limb and guess you haven't spent much time in EDs have you?

The kid was denied meds over a period of months.

A reasonable person would have found an alternative route to get his meds to him. Even if it meant getting a job and paying for them (I know, shocking).

In the end, if anybody bears the blame, it's mom.

RSV =/= Asthma.

Thanks, Geaux, for cutting to the chase and delivering an accurate diagnosis of where the fault lies. It's so important that people who do clerical work in human clinical health issues have some semblance of knowledge on the seriousness of the illness represented on paper and a little pharmacology knowledge as well. Competency in the healthcare field is paramount, no matter which rung of the ladder one may find him- or herself. Private of public health care? I can't say, but if it can't deliver competence from top to bottom, it may not be the best system, and that is for another thread.

This thread is about the one boy who died, his mother's loss, and who caused the loss. I think Geaux and a couple of others came to the correct conclusion.

The entire situation is sad. I can't see how pharmaceutical companies are responsible, but I think the paper pushers are. I am sure the mother could have been more proactive but I don't think she is 100% at fault. Her son was on advair which is a inhaled steroid and salmeterol so he most likely had moderate persistent asthma.

With asthma patients, a crucial question to ask is always "Have you ever been intubated? How many times?" as this is an indication of prognosis and acuity. However, this kid might have never had respiratory failure. It just takes once. Perhaps the mother didn't realize that with something like asthma an exacerbation could come at any time and she needed to beg, borrow, or steal to get the meds. It's not reasonable to expect her to possess the fund of knowledge of a medical professional.

Considering some of the dumb-fuck statements on this thread, it's obvious she's on par with several posters who have commented on it.

The situation is sad. The kid should have gotten his advair, he didn't due to pure clerical error.

Someone is legally negligent (not criminally negligent). It doesn't sound like the Dr. and it's probably not the pharmacy, though you'd think the assholes at the pharmacy would have done more to get to the bottom of a situation like this. I watch my mentors pull all sorts of wazoo schemes to get people the meds they need.

With her complaints against the State, I doubt the State will charge her with a crime. That is not to say the mother couldn't have been more aggressive in caring for the boy. But, in fairness, when I was her age, I wouldn't have known that doctors had samples or medicines. I didn't know that until I started working as an NP. No once before that had I nor any of my family been handed a sample drug.

He didn't die at home. She did take him to a hospital where he was on a vent for a few days before he died.

I think thees days they have more on hand. I have SVT and high blood pressure. I take this crap called nebivolol, now I have superb insurance, and my Dr. still tries to send me out with it. Maybe there are legal issues ib thr state that prevents it, I dont know, Im just a bindelstiff on a message board with an opinion, and you know what they sat about those ! Regardless, it is sad.

Are you able to vagal yourself down or have you ever gotten the adenosine bolus?

That looks particularly miserable.

Dont know what any of that is, the drugs keep it under control pretty good. When it happens my Dr told me to bear down as if taking a dump, try drinking a very cold glass of water, or massaging the artery in the neck. If all of that fails, then I get a shot. If the meds dont, or stop helping then they will burn the nerve that controls the electrical impulse that tells my heart to beat, as the nerve in my heart is deformed. After that, at some point it means a pace maker will be needed.

Last edited:
Quote- Note, this is not directed at you, but rather some of the dumbfucks on this thread who think that denying an albuterol inhaler or salumeterol or adviar or whatever to a child with severe asthma is something you can mess around with. I guess you can make the argument that this mother could have prostituted herself out to get her son's meds. QUOTE

Fron the article-

"Her son's asthma worsened after several months of being off the anti-inflammatory drug Advair, which kept the disease manageable".

No mention of the other drugs. here is a quote from another article about the same thing.

After two weeks, his benefits were reinstated.

"I did get it worked out, finally," Tafoya said. "But it's because I called every day and I know what I'm doing."

Paperwork maze endangering Colorado Medicaid patients - The Denver Post

the difference between the two is one got the meds in two weeks after the problem was solved. The reoccurring theme here is the government system failed. This is an example of how it will go under Obama care.

And more on Zumante from the article above-.

"The boy still had an inhaler and nebulizer, but being without Advair was creating a life-threatening situation that his mother didn't recognize until it was too late."

Again, it's kind of tough to compare two different patient situations. One person was more aggressive because she "Knew what she was doing". The other obviously wasn't as adept at navigating the nightmare of Medicaid.

Comparing this to Obama care is like apples and footballs. This happened under medicaid.

As for the last: Of course. The kid most likely had moderate asthma. Albuterol isn't going to cut it for that. You can look at the chart and then read the stepwise treatment plan. You can't treat moderate asthma with albuterol and a nebulizer. You need the inhaled corticosteroids and long acting B2 agonist, which are combined in advair.

Obviously this mother didn't realize her son was reaching a crisis. She could have been more proactive, but it's not reasonable to expect her to have the knowledge of a health care provider or how to work the medicaid system.

[
The child isn't dead because of a clerical error. The child is dead because the mother didn't have the sense to pursue treatment if it wasn't handed to her with a "thank you for taking this free medicine" comment from the pharmacy.

So the child is dead because he #1, had asthma, and #2, had a stupid or lazy mother.

Really, you think that is what they put on the autopsy report?

Cause of Death: Respiratory failure due to acute asthmatic exacerbation. Mode of death: Stupid/lazy mother.

You are a real gem.

The kid was denied meds over a period of months.

A reasonable person would have found an alternative route to get his meds to him. Even if it meant getting a job and paying for them (I know, shocking).

In the end, if anybody bears the blame, it's mom.

Wait, I thought she was at fault for not getting him to the ED in time? You should make up your mind.

Forum List

Back