Chicago teacher's union wants a 30% pay raise

Teachers work on average 195 days a year.

Some of those days are conferences and anyone who has ever been to a conference knows that they ain't work.

Most people work 250 days a year.

Seems to me teachers have it pretty fucking good and should stop whining.

Some of those days are conferences and anyone who has ever been to a conference knows that they ain't work.

You are wrong.

Just suck the marrow out of the bones of the ones paying thier salary...Right?

IDIOT.

Then please point to the most recent instance in which a right winger supported a teacher pay raise.

What the right does not understand is that the taxpayer can't expect someone to work 37% more hours for 0% more pay. That's just plain common sense, something the right seems to lack in abundance.

They are asking for a 30% pay raise in return for working 37% more hours. If you can't see how that's more fair to the taxpayers than it is to the teachers your own education has failed you miserably.

What you don't seem to understand is that these teachers are only working on average 5.5 hours/day,

No, they are AT SCHOOL 5.5 hours a day. They work more than that. Its amazing to me that right wingers seem to think a teacher's job responsibilities end when class ends. Who do you think grades the papers and the homework, a magical monkey that sleeps under the teacher's desk and comes out at night to work?

and that if this pay raise went through they'd be making DOUBLE the pay the average Chicagoan gets.

And? Since when is everyone supposed to get paid the same regardless of the actual job? That's a new one from the right wing, sounds kinda commie. Maybe they should cut teacher pay down to 10k a year and then whine and complain about how no one who is qualified wants the job?

" extending the school day from 5.5 hours --among the nation’s shortest school days—to 7.5 hours "

You really are ridiculous.

Last edited:

We should raise taxes on Teachers! :eusa_hand:

What's the big deal? Teachers want a raise. Who doesn't? What is wrong with expressing your desire for a raise? Absolutely nothing.

This is just another thread for wingnuts to jerk off over. The T has almost filled his milk jug.

What's the big deal? Teachers want a raise. Who doesn't? What is wrong with expressing your desire for a raise? Absolutely nothing.

This is just another thread for wingnuts to jerk off over. The T has almost filled his milk jug.

Fuck off Douggie.
Getting mad at me isn't going to help you with your next load.

Get back to hating on unions and watch that bad boy practically jump back into your hand!
yes.gif

I can see 2 percent. 30 percent? AInt gonna happen.

That being said, who would actually go into teaching anyway. Many people hate teachers. But they are the biggest hypocrites on Gods green earth. They say dont envy the rich. Well then dont envy teachers. ANd if its that good why didnt you be one?

If you wanted to discuss reality, then you would admit that interest rates are historically low and ANY government in the country could borrow at historically low rates. Also, if you wanted to stay in reality, you would admit that in times of severe economic recession and/or high unemployment, allowing people to take pay cuts or lay offs, instead of borrowing, is a sure fire way to make matters worse.

But you don't want to be in reality do you? You just want to insult anyone who doesn't agree with you.

we have borrowed, we are borrowing, that is not the answer, we are beyond that, you appear to be the same carbon copy Lib, just spend, borrow it beg it steal it tax , but just spend...and there is never ever a point at which we stop, or, you tell me what is that stopping point?

at what point if any would you say no no more borrowing at any rate....

do you believe that private sector jobs should receive the same federal or state sppt. as in salary subsidies? if not why not ? if yes, pleas say why.

insult don't be a hack, stop telling me what you think I am saying or what you want me to say or be seen saying, to fit your narrative, and answer/address what I AM saying.

We can stop borrowing when unemployment has dropped to a normal range. Say, 5.7%. That's 2.5 percentage point drop. Also, when the private sector is adding hundreds of thousands of jobs every month. At that point, stop borrowing if you want. Cut people loose. The private sector will be able to accommodate them.

so whats happened the last 3 years where in we have borrowed and spent a total of 5 trillion? why isn't the private sector adding those jobs now?

Also, if I can borrow at 1% and get a 4% return, I will do that every day and twice on Sunday. The Government can do that right now. Today. And twice on Sunday. We should stop borrowing when we can't do that. Until that day, it is idiotic not to borrow and grow the economy and country.

where? a 4% return? where is that coming from? we've been getting a return? :eusa_eh:

No, the private sector should not get that support from the government. In large part, because private companies are sitting on $2T in cash, and also, because they can borrow too!

uhm hello when the gov. borrows WE pay it back, that money borrowed by the fed given to states to carry those jobs created or saved is being paid by US.........wtf? you seem to think just borrowing 40% of the money we spend is going to magically change the paradigm? why hasn't it then?

Now, you're turn.

With high unemployment and low consumer demand, why do you want more people laid off and more salaries cut? Or not increased? How will this help the economy?

becasue the states won't get their books in order until the burden they have created by moving ahead of and hiring ahead of inflation and population growth creates the very thing we see played out in illinois, rhode island, maine, califorina, NY etc etc....did you read any of the snips and links I dropped into this thread? Rahm Emmanuel, yes rahm, is screaming for relief, not higher taxes, becasue education and public sector salaries and benefits are sucking up whats he has to spend to ruin the rest of the gov. and he realizes that higher taxes have a deleterious effect at a certain point, people leave, biz's stop hiring or leave as well, hello. .

Are you aware that we have hired in the education ranks ahead of student pop. growth? why? over the last 30 years money spent on education has exploded and student achievement has stayed relatively flat....why? are we not expected to see a 'return' on that investment?

Also, with respect to teachers, again I ask, how does taking money from the school help increase competition? How does paying teachers less attract more into the field and increase competition?

becasue the system is broken, see above, we have thrown buckets of money at education and? where are we now and were were we 30 years ago?

you want to talk about good teachers, retaining teachers? ok, tell me why a teacher of the year gets laid off while others who are not as good on any comparative measure get to keep their jobs?

They're asking to be paid 30% more for the 37% more work Chicago wants from them.

to me that's not really asking for a raise. its more of a cut

I'm sorry you get sent to a bunch of useless conferences and/or slack off and don't make any use out of them. The last one I attended was plenty of work and more productive than 10 times the amount of time spent at the office. You shouldn't assume that because you yourself are lazy, unproductive, and useless at the conferences you attend that everyone else is, too.

If they have it so good why doesn't anyone want to be one?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/13/chicago-public-schools-te_n_1421776.html

Maybe the 11 hour days and nothing but grief from ignorant dickwads like yourself who think teachers stop working when they walk out of the classroom?

11 hours a day * 195 days a year = 2145 hours a year.

145 hours a year MORE than full time work at 250 days a year.

Last edited:
Look if unions didnt WANT teachers laid off and instead actually made some concessions on benefits. The teachers wouldnt need to work longer.

Teachers union: Despite layoffs, no deals on salary or benefit cuts - Tuesday, June 7, 2011 | 1:55 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun

The Clark County teachers union said Monday it won’t agree to salary and benefit concessions even if it means teachers are laid off due to state budget cuts.

reposting for Oooh. I love to own him, so I'll post it again, in case he missed it.

What you don't seem to understand is that these teachers are only working on average 5.5 hours/day,

No, they are AT SCHOOL 5.5 hours a day. They work more than that. Its amazing to me that right wingers seem to think a teacher's job responsibilities end when class ends. Who do you think grades the papers and the homework, a magical monkey that sleeps under the teacher's desk and comes out at night to work?

and that if this pay raise went through they'd be making DOUBLE the pay the average Chicagoan gets.

And? Since when is everyone supposed to get paid the same regardless of the actual job? That's a new one from the right wing, sounds kinda commie. Maybe they should cut teacher pay down to 10k a year and then whine and complain about how no one who is qualified wants the job?

" extending the school day from 5.5 hours --among the nation’s shortest school days—to 7.5 hours "

Yes - they are extending the children's 5.5 hour school day to 7.5 hours.

We're talking about the teachers here. It might shock you to know there isn't a magical fairy that comes along and grades all the tests, homework, and prepares the lesson plans, for upwards of 200 students - they actually have to do that themselves. Now that you've been informed of what anyone who has ever known a teacher already knows, if you continue with your ridiculous line of reasoning, you're guilty of intentional stupidity rather than mere ignorance.

It turns out to results in 11 hour workdays
(see link in my post before this one, directly above)

Now they are being asked to extend that day for no extra pay.

Last edited:
$92,000/yr for '15 percent of fourth graders are proficient in reading (and just 56 percent of students graduate)'?

Are they out of their fucking minds?

Do what Regan did to the air traffic controllers... fire them all and hire new.

No.. they are union workers. Do you expect anything else?

Yes - they are extending the children's 5.5 hour school day to 7.5 hours.

We're talking about the teachers here. It might shock you to know there isn't a magical fairy that comes along and grades all the tests, homework, and prepares the lesson plans, for upwards of 200 students - they actually have to do that themselves. Now that you've been informed of what anyone who has ever known a teacher already knows, if you continue with your ridiculous line of reasoning, you're guilty of intentional stupidity rather than mere ignorance.

It turns out to results in 11 hour workdays
(see link in my post before this one, directly above)

Now they are being asked to extend that day for no extra pay.

You are so full of crap it's unbelievable. This is from my link in the OP:

" Chicago Public Schools states that under the extended school day:

On average teachers will provide 5.5 hours of instruction (an increase of 54 minutes), receive a 45-minute duty-free lunch and 60-minute prep period and supervise the passing period. They will also be required to be on-site for 10 minutes before and after school. "

Doesn't seem to be 11 hours to me. 60 minute prep period, and they're asking for an additional 54 minutes. And upwards of 200 students? I'm thinking you pulled that right out of your ass, like everything else you write.

$92,000/yr
Sure, if you've got 20 years experience and a PhD.
for '15 percent of fourth graders are proficient in reading (and just 56 percent of students graduate)'?

Its actually 18% in 2011, up from 16% in 2009.

http://nationsreportcard.gov/reading_2011/district_g4.asp?tab_id=tab2&subtab_id=Tab_1#chart

I wouldn't expect you to use real figures though.

As you can see there are numerous cities with similar scores.
As you can also see, a more relevant score is BASIC - not PROFICIENT - unless you expect everyone to be above average.

Are they out of their fucking minds?

Do what Regan did to the air traffic controllers... fire them all and hire new.

Where the fuck are you going to find someone who wants to teach in Chicago schools, work 11 hour days, get paid shit, and get ridiculed and spat on by ignorant fucktwats like yourself?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back