Chicago area Assyrians protest bloodshed in Iraq and Syria

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
Maybe other U.S. Christians will take note when more protests start happening such as this.

Chicago area Assyrians protest bloodshed in Iraq and Syria
FRI, 08/08/2014 - 5:39PM
TINA SFONDELES

Elizabeth Lazar, an Assyrian Christian, came to Daley Plaza Friday afternoon to give the persecuted people of Iraq and Syria a voice.

She stopped to talk to strangers and carried a sign that read “Stop the ethnic cleansing. Assyrians need a safe haven.”

Lazar joined hundreds of other Assyrians, many carrying crosses, on the same day Christians in Mosul, Iraq were ordered to leave the city by members of the Islamic State group.

Friday also marked the first airstrikes from the U.S. in northern Iraq against militants who had taken captive hundreds of women from a religious minority.

The extremists have abducted, killed and expelled minorities in their campaign, including Iraq’s Christian and Yazidi communities, according to Human Rights Watch.

“These people in Iraq, they are threatened, they can’t talk. And here I am with luckily the freedom that this country provides, and I just thought, ‘How dare I not speak?’” Lazar, 29, said at Daley Plaza.

Chicago area Assyrians protest bloodshed in Iraq and Syria | Early & Often

Forum List

Back