Cheerleaders suing the NFL and some teams are settling

Consider: Aside from minimum wage laws (which are an economic abomination), compensation for everyone should be determined by market forces.

It would not be surprising if people aspiring to be NFL cheerleaders were willing to work without any compensation whatsoever. Women would be happy to hold those positions just for the attention they would bring, as well as having that on one's resume. Further, the cheerleading squads would probably be able to sell their services outside the games (25 or so days a year) to other organizations who might like to have them around. Mentoring school cheerleader squads and so on. So it's not like the girls would have to support themselves on what they make from the NFL. How could they, working only a couple days a year?

So these positions should be advertised at minimum wage. Then, if the teams could not attract top-notch performers at that rate, offer a little more, then a little more, until the "right" wage is established. the teams should, of course, cover any expenses, uniforms and whatnot, but the wage itself should be determined by what the market will bear.

If my daughter (I don't have one) aspired to be an NFL cheerleader I would be ashamed of her. What an utterly worthless aspiration.

Forum List

Back