Check out this new pepper plant i found at Lowes today while shopping for new Channel Locks

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
20210908_120205.jpg

The tag says they are decorative only but online says they are edible with varying degrees of heat.

View attachment 536616

The tag says they are decorative only but online says they are edible with varying degrees of heat.

Those are nothing new. Decorative means too hot for the average person by department store standards. They are just a larger variety of one of my favorite peppers, the Pequin pepper, which is a very tiny pepper usually only about 1/2 to 3/4 inch long, often smaller!

16c8230b30882acbfb3ad1be04eaee30.jpg

Be careful. There must be some reason they are labeled decorative only. There may be something in the soil they were grown in that makes them inedible, or a spray they used on the plants...

Very unlikely. Decorative means "unfit for human consumption" meaning that they are so much hotter than the banana and jalapeno peppers in the supermarket that they don't want anyone taking the plant home and eating a pepper then coming back to sue them.

For a truly really hot pepper, go try a ghost pepper.

Very unlikely. Decorative means "unfit for human consumption" meaning that they are so much hotter than the banana and jalapeno peppers in the supermarket that they don't want anyone taking the plant home and eating a pepper then coming back to sue them.

Good to know, but wasted on me. I hate peppers. In a little town out west is a joint called Zeke's. It is famous for his chili. It looks like just mashed up green chilies. To eat it everyone puts tons of crackers in it, and wash every bite down with beer. I have watched sweat drip off of my husband's forehead while he gulped it down. :ack-1: Why eat something that painful??????

Those are nothing new. Decorative means too hot for the average person by department store standards. They are just a larger variety of one of my favorite peppers, the Pequin pepper, which is a very tiny pepper usually only about 1/2 to 3/4 inch long, often smaller!

View attachment 536619
I raised a bumper crop of jalapenos this year and we had enough heat that the soil remained warm so I actually ended up with peppers and not duds.

or a habanero. Thai peppers are pretty warm too.

Forum List

Back