Cemeteries

Most fascinating cemetery I ever prowled was the Old Highgate Cemetery outside London.

Liberals know about the "New" Highgate, across the street because their God, Karl Marx, is planted there.

But the old place - before it got "cleaned up" was something right out of a Gothic horror novel. I believe there are still guided tours but at the time I saw it you could wander on your home though be at serious risk of being lost for days. Yes, it was overgrown in every spooky way one might think of!

History is really in our graveyards, the markers, the stone angles and the epitaphs...whimsical or downright heartbreaking.

For those in the area of the TN/LA/MS border, Vicksburg NMP is well worth an afternoon. Its both a battlefield, a cemetery, a history lesson, and a pretty good example of how different states view their histories. I often wonder what the monuments would look like if today's legislatures (both in blue states and red states) had to allocate money for the monuments. Illinois has this massive domed structure:

1588059773275.png

I doubt they would spend that much today.

Here are just some of the thousands of graves there:

1588059872596.png

History is really in our graveyards, the markers, the stone angles and the epitaphs...whimsical or downright heartbreaking.
With the stay-in-place/travel restrictions,my usual spring Civil War sightseeing road trips have been replaced by visits to historic cemeteries with Civil War history within an hour-and-a-half radius from where I live. There are more than I thought.

Forum List

Back