Celebrating Robert E. Lee's Birthday Today Brings Out Southern Pride And Patriotism

If Southerners want to cite pride of place and culture, why would they choose the Civil War? I might think taking pride in William Faulkner or Truman Capote or Harper Lee or Johnny Mercer or Louis Armstrong would suffice. The beauty and cosmopolitanisms of New Orleans. the dynamism of Dallas or the charm of Savannah would be something worthy of pride.

But the Civil War, the cause for which it was fought and the legacy of bigotry it wrought are points of shame and despair. If I was a Southerner, I'd run away from that era right after I got back from the showers.

If you equate celebrating Robert E. Lee's birthday with taking pride in the Civil War then you are an idiot.

You are an idiot to think people won't.

No, you're an idiot for thinking people do.

I can celebrate my southern heritage without celebrating war.

If Southerners want to cite pride of place and culture, why would they choose the Civil War? I might think taking pride in William Faulkner or Truman Capote or Harper Lee or Johnny Mercer or Louis Armstrong would suffice. The beauty and cosmopolitanisms of New Orleans. the dynamism of Dallas or the charm of Savannah would be something worthy of pride.

But the Civil War, the cause for which it was fought and the legacy of bigotry it wrought are points of shame and despair. If I was a Southerner, I'd run away from that era right after I got back from the showers.

Its pretty simple. In general southerners are bitter they no longer have slaves. Celebrating being traitors and getting their asses kicked is all they have left. Its also a way to let anyone know that should Blacks need to be terrorized or exterminated they would gladly line up to volunteer for the job. Sort of like a standing militia so to speak.

Just forget the fact that the vast majority of white southerners did not own any slaves.

I didnt forget. I just shows how stupid and fearful the masses of hill billies were. All the rich slave owners did was pit you against the Blacks so they could keep you ignorant and broke. They told your type that Blacks would take your jobs and steal your women. You poor white trash lost it.

If you equate celebrating Robert E. Lee's birthday with taking pride in the Civil War then you are an idiot.
An idiot?!? Really? Didn't Robert E. Lee have something to do with the Civil War? Some incidental matter? Insignificant and the kind of relativism only AN IDIOT might make?

He was a big figure in the Civil War, but that had nothing to do with his birth.

When you celebrate your birthday are you celebrating your entire adult career or just the day of your birth?
Robert E. Lee's birthday celebrations ARE about the Civil War. Why not celebrate Johnny Mercer's birthday, or would that just be about show tunes?

The whole reason to celebrate Robert E. Lee's birthday is to cite the Civil War, unless the whole South are alumnae of Washington and Lee University.

And those are three distinctly different cultures within the "South", and you could toss in Appalachia as a fourth. In a sense it's kind of demeaning to lump these disparate subcultures into a single monolithic "The South" on the basis of a temporary mid-19th century political alliance. "The South" as we divisively define it didn't exist before 1861.

Backing up from "people" to yourself. Very smart move.

Yeah, you are an idiot if you think Southern pride and heritage for most is not about the Civil War and the stars and bars.

Its pretty simple. In general southerners are bitter they no longer have slaves. Celebrating being traitors and getting their asses kicked is all they have left. Its also a way to let anyone know that should Blacks need to be terrorized or exterminated they would gladly line up to volunteer for the job. Sort of like a standing militia so to speak.

Just forget the fact that the vast majority of white southerners did not own any slaves.

Yep and many of those poor Southerners were conscripted into the Southern Army and died under Gen Lee.

Last edited:

I didnt forget. I just shows how stupid and fearful the masses of hill billies were. All the rich slave owners did was pit you against the Blacks so they could keep you ignorant and broke. They told your type that Blacks would take your jobs and steal your women. You poor white trash lost it.

Hey Buckwheat, slave owners didn't pit me against anyone. I wasn't around during that time and neither were you.

Stupidity is thinking that a few Southerners that owned slaves were all white and that they convinced the majority to go to war to fight for their cause.

What's funny is you talk about whites being fearful while you cling to your victimhood status.

Tell us again how the white man owes you.

An idiot?!? Really? Didn't Robert E. Lee have something to do with the Civil War? Some incidental matter? Insignificant and the kind of relativism only AN IDIOT might make?

He was a big figure in the Civil War, but that had nothing to do with his birth.

When you celebrate your birthday are you celebrating your entire adult career or just the day of your birth?
Robert E. Lee's birthday celebrations ARE about the Civil War. Why not celebrate Johnny Mercer's birthday, or would that just be about show tunes?

The whole reason to celebrate Robert E. Lee's birthday is to cite the Civil War, unless the whole South are alumnae of Washington and Lee University.

You liberals sure are a stupid bunch.

Backing up from "people" to yourself. Very smart move.

Yeah, you are an idiot if you think Southern pride and heritage for most is not about the Civil War and the stars and bars.

I can speak for my people and often do.

The Civil War is a small part of my heritage not the main focus. I had family on both sides of the conflict.

Hey Buckwheat, slave owners didn't pit me against anyone. I wasn't around during that time and neither were you.

Stupidity is thinking that a few Southerners that owned slaves were all white and that they convinced the majority to go to war to fight for their cause.

What's funny is you talk about whites being fearful while you cling to your victimhood status.

I was talking about your type. You know ignorant inbred poor white trash? You were either drafted or tricked by tales of free Black slaves roaming the country side raping and killing whites. The people that owned 20 or more slaves were exempt from the draft. Check your history if you doubt that. Your type were bamboozled into fighting and dying in a failed war. Then they sold you on this heritage BS by stoking your fears of Blacks taking your jobs and women. Face it. You hill billies are frightened and easily manipulated to this day.

You liberals sure are a stupid bunch.
Cite a reason to celebrate Robert E. Lee's birthday that DOES NOT include the Civil War! The one and ONLY reason for celebrating Lee IS the Civil War.

Yep and many of those poor Southerners were conscripted into the Southern Army and die under Gen Lee.

True the Conscription Act began about a year before the Union stated drafting their people to die under Grant.

The confederate Congress specified that black soldiers were to receive the same pay as the white soldiers. The Union army’s black soldiers were paid less than the white soldiers. A black soldier in the Union army would have been paid $10 a month with a $3 clothing fee taken out, leaving the soldier with $7 a month. White soldiers were paid $13 a month and were not forced to pay a clothing allowance, which is almost twice as much as the black soldiers. By contrast the Confederate army paid their privates of both races $11/month until 1864. Equal pay for both races in the federal army did not come into effect until June 1864. The Confederate Army also authorized a salary for black musicians in 1862.

I was talking about your type. You know ignorant inbred poor white trash? You were either drafted or tricked by tales of free Black slaves roaming the country side raping and killing whites. The people that owned 20 or more slaves were exempt from the draft. Check your history if you doubt that. Your type were bamboozled into fighting and dying in a failed war. Then they sold you on this heritage BS by stoking your fears of Blacks taking your jobs and women. Face it. You hill billies are frightened and easily manipulated to this day.

If that's what you want to believe then go right ahead. It only shows your ignorance.

black_confederates.jpg

Last edited:

If that's what you want to believe then go right ahead. It only shows your ignorance.

Its not what I want to believe, its fact. You are too ignorant to understand facts trump your assumptions. Thats exactly why you are so easy to fool. Facts frighten you.

Uh... if that's the case then why have virtually all the ensuing posts been about the Civil War? And apparently the preceding ones as well?

And back to this: on what basis do you even define "The South" ...without the Civil War?

You don't.

Last edited:
I recall they flew this one, as well...

images

You 'recall' wrong.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JLjrfdstX4]KKK Has A Rally In Nahunta, GA Waving Confederate Flags - HIPHOPNEWS24-7.COM - YouTube[/ame]

They also used the Nazi salute.

It's a known fact that the KKK is a Democratic founded organization and many were from the South.

No, it's a myth that revisionists like you try to sell. Nobody's buying. The KKK was founded by a dozen Confederate veterans. And it's never been a political organization. Like it or lump it.

Uh... if that's the case then why have virtually all the ensuing posts been about the Civil War?

And back to this: on what basis do you even define "The South" without the Civil War?

You don't.
Why would he want to celebrate Robert E. Lee's birthday and NOT acknowledge the Civil War? What reason OTHER than the Civil War would be used to celebrate Lee's birthday? It's like celebrating Sandy Kofax's birthday and not mentioning the curve ball.

It's a known fact that the KKK is a Democratic founded organization and many were from the South.

No, it's a myth that revisionists like you try to sell. Nobody's buying. The KKK was founded by a dozen Confederate veterans. And it's never been a political organization. Like it or lump it.

The KKK has had several incarnations over the years. You're right about the first one. Some were political organizations that included both White Republican and White Democrats.

The KKK has had several incarnations over the years. You're right about the first one. Some were political organizations that included both White Republican and White Democrats.

There have been several versions, but none of them were political organizations. They called themselves "social" orgs, out to preserve white culture and Protestantism. The few times they dabbled in politics at all, they ran with whatever party's candidate suited the time and place; in fact the only ones they ever got elected were a governor of Indiana and some city council people in Anaheim (all of whom were, as it happens, Republicans). But Lonestar's revisionist history is still bullshit; the Klan itself has never had a political party affiliation, let alone founding.

Lee fought to empower the Steve McGarretts and God made sure he lost.

And the Steve McRacists continue to let us know why.

That's a fact.

I read a story that makes me more respectful to Lee. Whether it is true is something that remains to be proved. After the end of the War, in Richmond, at communion in the Episcopal parish church that Lee attended, a black man knelt at the communion bar for Holy Eucharist. No other white would go forward to kneel next to him. Several minutes passed, then Lee moved up the aisle and knelt next to the man. Both received communion. If true, then Lee earns respect for such a courageous act.

From what I know of Lee, I do not doubt it.

Forum List

Back