CDC SOFTENS Rules For Prescribing OPIOIDS Because 'Patients Are Struggling To Access Them' - Conflict Of Interest?

Jim H - VA USA

Plutonium Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 19, 2020

My Comments:
We all know that opioids can help relive pain, are highly addictive, and are a plague on American society.

Fentanyl is a synthetic opioid, and is killing thousands of Americans annually.

Did you know that the FDA gets about 45% of its funding from Big Pharma from "user fees" like review of drugs and vaccines? [Link]

The CDC also gets huge amounts of money from user fees... See the aqua/green color on this chart. Note that it is many tens of billions of dollars (largely COVID related, I bet)....

1667523558045.png

[Source Link]

These agencies are in cahoots with Big Pharma. These companies they regulate literally pay their salaries. As such, they have a vested interest in approving an promoting the use of these dangerous drugs they approve and regulate.

My Comments:
We all know that opioids can help relive pain, are highly addictive, and are a plague on American society.

Did you know that the FDA gets about 45% of its funding from Big Pharma from "user fees" like review of drugs and vaccines? [Link]

The CDC also gets huge amounts of money from user fees... See the aqua/green color on this chart. Note that it is many tens of billions of dollars (largely COVID related, I bet)....

View attachment 720563

[Source Link]

These agencies are in cahoots with Big Pharma. These companies they regulate literally pay their salaries. As such, they have a vested interest in approving an promoting the use of these dangerous drugs they approve and regulate.

I had to jump through a shitload of hoops to get a morphine script and I have to go to the pain Doc every month.
They also piss test you to make sure you're actually taking them and not selling them.
I'm just glad they dont get me high they just releve the pain.

I had to jump through a shitload of hoops to get a morphine script and I have to go to the pain Doc every month.
They also piss test you to make sure you're actually taking them and not selling them.
Thank you for that information. It helps shape my opinion on the subject. Learned something.

I suppose this contributes to why there is such a strong black market for the opioids.

Thank you for that information. It helps shape my opinion on the subject. Learned something.

I suppose this contributes to why there is such a strong black market for the opioids.
Morphine doesn't really get you high. Doesn't give you the good nod like heroin does. But it's still addictive as hell if you're taking it every 4 hours (which is about how long it lasts).

The interesting thing about morphine is, that if you're a heroin addict, it doesn't take away 100% of the dope sickness. Dilaudid does, and fentanyl does, but morphine doesn't, the addicts still feel squirrelly on morphine maintenance

Just thought you'd like to know. :p

We all know that opioids can help relive pain,
They are THE main method of relieving pain.

are highly addictive,
Bullshit. I've taken them on and off for 40 years without getting addicted to them. I have a bottle full of them right now enough to kill a rhinoceros and I often go days without taking them, seldom even the prescribed amount!

and are a plague on American society.
Anything is a plague if misused. Like good, rich food. Do you intend to ban Italian? There are more fat people than drug addicts!

BINGO. Fentanyl was DESIGNED to be an addictive drug. I also know that back in 2015 after having my knee surgery, I could only get a weeks supply at a time and had to walk on my operated leg, DRIVE to the doctor's office each week to physically pick up the script then DRIVE to the pharmacy to get it filled, thus aggravating my surgery adding months to the recuperation and great pain and agony each week thanks to braindead useless federal regulations punishing legitimate medical patients for their own inability to regulate the border, pretending to control fentanyl by depriving legitimate patients in need of doctors medication. Fuck them and fuck you.

Morphine doesn't really get you high. Doesn't give you the good nod like heroin does. But it's still addictive as hell if you're taking it every 4 hours (which is about how long it lasts).

The interesting thing about morphine is, that if you're a heroin addict, it doesn't take away 100% of the dope sickness. Dilaudid does, and fentanyl does, but morphine doesn't, the addicts still feel squirrelly on morphine maintenance

Just thought you'd like to know. :p

I've had Dilaudid a couple times after surgeries and when they thought I had kidney stones.
Holy Shit is that stuff strong!!! When they gave it to me after the kidney stone scare it was instant relief,unfortunately I was only able to enjoy it for about ten minutes before I fell asleep.

There's a shitload of money involved there. The pain docs make a shitload of money when every one of their patients needs to get an appointment every month.

And the corporations that do the piss tests are also raking in the cash for performing tests that are totally unnecessary from a medical standpoint.

It's a big fucking scam.

Last edited:
There's a shitload of money involved there. The pain docs make a shitload of money when every one of their patients needs to get an appointment every month.

And the corporations that do the piss tests are also raking in the cash for performing tests that are totally unnecessary from a medical standpoint.

It's a big fucking scam.

The whole point of seeing the pain Doc and the piss tests is to stop the abuse of drugs and the selling of drugs.
I've known several people who have died from opioid abuse,it's no joke.
The neighbor kid was found floating face down in his parents hot tub. They were in Germany at the time and he came home from college for the weekend.
A buddy of mine's wife died in her sleep from opioid abuse.

The whole point of seeing the pain Doc and the piss tests is to stop the abuse of drugs and the selling of drugs.
I've known several people who have died from opioid abuse,it's no joke.
The neighbor kid was found floating face down in his parents hot tub. They were in Germany at the time and he came home from college for the weekend.
A buddy of mine's wife died in her sleep from opioid abuse.
Make sure you only use aspirin after surgery

It's a big fucking scam.

Companies are not getting any money for drug screening. The reason many good paying companies do drug screening is because they get lower workman's compensation rates. My former employer was forced to have us drug screen because CDL drivers are under federal regulation that requires it. My employer could care less if we were out smoking pot all weekend, just as long as we showed up for work sober. But he told me even if it were not a federal requirement, he'd do it anyway because the discounted rates for drug screening would make it all worth it, and he'd rather pay that money to us than some insurance company or the state.

I've had Dilaudid a couple times after surgeries and when they thought I had kidney stones.
Holy Shit is that stuff strong!!! When they gave it to me after the kidney stone scare it was instant relief,unfortunately I was only able to enjoy it for about ten minutes before I fell asleep.

After a couple of surgeries, they gave me oxycodone. As soon as I could tolerate the pain, I stopped taking the stuff. Like you said, it works great, but you can't get anything done while on it. I'm an active person and I hate wasting a nice day outside sitting on the couch lethargic or laying in bed all day. Up north, global warming doesn't last very long, and you have to take advantage of every nice day to get outside work done.

Because of lawsuits and new federal regulations, they are creating more black market problems than solving them. A recent late friend of mine had multiple medical problems. They would only give her enough pain meds to last her 23 days out of the 30 they were prescribed for. She was in no condition to leave the house, but there are others who don't get ample medications to take care of their pain problems, and then resort to the streets for illegal purchases to add to their legal purchases.

It's a catch 22.

They're making if far harder for people who actually need them, while dopers can get them with ease. I hardly think my 90 year old mother is going to hobble around with her walker mugging people and knocking over stores to get a fix. She's fricking 90; so what if she gets addicted? The fact is she rarely refills her 90 day script until sometimes 5-6 months later.

As for myself opioids just feel icky and constipate me; I never got how anyone could get addicted to the stuff or run around sticking needles in their arms using crap they bought from street dealers. Fucking idiocy.

Last edited:
They're making if far harder for people who actually need them, while dopers can get them with ease. I hardly think my 90 year old mother is going to hobble around with her walker mugging people and knocking over stores to get a fix. She's fricking 90; so what if she gets addicted? The fact is she rarely refills her 90 day script until sometimes 5-6 months later.

As for myself opioids just feel icky and constipate me; I never got how anyone could get addicted to the stuff or run sticking needles in their arms using crap they bought from street dealers. Fucking idiocy.

Like anything else, it works differently on different people. When I was younger people gave me coke to try out. Didn't do much for me. Never tried to buy it afterwards. But with some people, one snort changes their entire life. They lose their job, their family, their house and business. It's an addiction many can't break and at times leads to homelessness.

It's no different than alcohol. Some people are social drinkers. Others are drunk every single day or night. In spite of the multiple DUI's, domestic physical confrontations, some even losing their job, they can't quit. I knew one guy that recently died. He was 50 some years old. They warned him up front if he didn't give up heavy drinking, his heart was going to give out, and it did. It was worth it to him because he couldn't stop. It was the only way he could live life.

After a couple of surgeries, they gave me oxycodone. As soon as I could tolerate the pain, I stopped taking the stuff. Like you said, it works great, but you can't get anything done while on it. I'm an active person and I hate wasting a nice day outside sitting on the couch lethargic or laying in bed all day. Up north, global warming doesn't last very long, and you have to take advantage of every nice day to get outside work done.

True enough.
Oxycodone is weak as hell when it comes to real pain.
And I'm certainly pissed that the surgeon fucked me up worse than when I went to him to fix the problem.
I went in being able to walk with a slight limp and left needing a cane to get around.
Thought about suing but it wouldnt be worth it considering Texas passed a law limiting malpractice lawsuits to 200K by the time you paid your lawyer you'd be lucky to walk away with 120K which isnt worth it on the off chance that we lost the case.
I've had to give up most of the things I love to do because of it.
Still have one more surgery to go and I hope this last one will fix the problem.

My Comments:

View attachment 720563

[Source Link]

We all knew this from the Covid disaster but our health care system is trash--and worse.

In the early 2000s they gave boatloads of opioids for NOTHING. If you pointed to a 10 on the 'pain scale' you were going home with a bottle full of strong stuff.

Oops---that was an overreaction.

So did they correct to something reasonable? Now why would they do that? No, they corrected to NO opioids given at all, even to people post-SURGERY. That's right, go home on Tylenol and ibuprofen, and if the Tylenol destroys your liver, oh well. For years, people have been unable to access reasonable pain control because the FDA recommended giving it out like candy 20 years ago.

Just awful. I think we were better off picking herbs and plants out of the forest to treat ourselves--and I'm not kidding.

As for myself opioids just feel icky and constipate me; I never got how anyone could get addicted to the stuff or run around sticking needles in their arms using crap they bought from street dealers. Fucking idiocy.

Constipation due to the morphine has actually been a beneficial side effect in my case.
When they did my back surgery they damaged the nerves in my lower back that control bowel movements and the control over holding in your piss.
Nothing worse than having the runs and not being able to hold in the shits.

Companies are not getting any money for drug screening. The reason many good paying companies do drug screening is because they get lower workman's compensation rates. My former employer was forced to have us drug screen because CDL drivers are under federal regulation that requires it. My employer could care less if we were out smoking pot all weekend, just as long as we showed up for work sober. But he told me even if it were not a federal requirement, he'd do it anyway because the discounted rates for drug screening would make it all worth it, and he'd rather pay that money to us than some insurance company or the state.

Thank God my autoimmunes are in complete remission and I had a surgery that profoundly helped pain 10 years ago. Because I too hate opioids. When you need them, you really need them. But I feel for people who must take them long term. I call them the devil's pills.

We all knew this from the Covid disaster but our health care system is trash--and worse.

In the early 2000s they gave boatloads of opioids for NOTHING. If you pointed to a 10 on the 'pain scale' you were going home with a bottle full of strong stuff.

Oops---that was an overreaction.

So did they correct to something reasonable? Now why would they do that? No, they corrected to NO opioids given at all, even to people post-SURGERY. That's right, go home on Tylenol and ibuprofen, and if the Tylenol destroys your liver, oh well. For years, people have been unable to access reasonable pain control because the FDA recommended giving it out like candy 20 years ago.

Just awful. I think we were better off picking herbs and plants out of the forest to treat ourselves--and I'm not kidding.

Not true at all.
They're just more careful when prescribing the strong stuff these days.
When I went to the pain Doc after all of my surgeries the first words out of his mouth were...it looks like you've been through the ringer.
Which of course was true,I also went through multiple procedures to control the pain,from a wire in my spine to shock the nerves to burning the nerves to deaden them.
None of which worked.

Forum List

Back