Car restoration VIN numbers and jail time

The way I read it, it's illegal to simply remove it and then reinstall it. That doesn't really make much sense to me.

I've got a friend here in town who's got a 1960 Corvette that he bought from his cousin in 1973. In 1999 he started a full restoration to factory specs. The restoration was completed 16 years later. He removed, and reinstalled, the VIN number. I don't know if he was aware that it was illegal to do that.

This is my buddy's Corvette:

jim-salanitri-st-augustine-corvette-1-1024x683.jpg

I had recently read some place that there were going to be changes to the legalities of this. Or illegality, more clearly.

And it was directly because of these restoration projects.

I forget where I read that, though. May have been on the corvette forum. Probably was.

More stupid laws... Right up there with ripping the tag of of your mattress...

That's stupid. Heck...to restore a dash pad, you usually NEED to remove the VIN plate. A full bare-metal repaint usually means the door jamb tags (often just stickers, and frequently faded, damaged, and/or falling off) are gone. The door jamb VIN sticker on my old Gremlin was gone when I got it-looked like it just fell off somewhere in the 30+ years since the car was built.

Replacing a rotted radiator core support (common problem in road salt states) removes a VIN stamping on many Chryslers.

Forum List

Back