Car Maintenance Question...

If you are annually driving very low miles, say 3,000 and under. You still need to get an oil change once per year because of the accumulation of condensation in your car's oil, which can lead to internal engine problems in the future.
If all your driving is just short trips close to your house. Then once per month take your car for a 70+ mph drive down the Interstate highway for about 30 minutes. This will heat up your engine to max operating temperature and blow out any carbon that has built up inside the engine and exhaust system.
I once knew an elderly woman who only drove her car to the corner grocery store and down the street to her church. Eventually, her car started running really rough. The mechanics spent a long time trying to figure out the problem. Finally, they pulled the heads off the engine and discovered all of the pistons had a layer of carbon build up on top of them. So they had to hand scrape the carbon off the piston tops and exhaust ports. The car ran perfect after that, but the repair wasn't cheap. ... :cool:
When we only had carburetors, we would just put a teaspoon of water down the throat of the carburetor and it would take care of the carbon build-up.

I am not a “car guy”. For me a motor vehicle is a means to get from place to place. It’s not a status symbol. It’s not a statement. It’s a purely functional machine.

I currently drive a 2017 Ford Escape. I looked at the odometer yesterday and did some basic math; at which point I realized the vehicle had only gone 2,700 miles between May 18, 2020 and yesterday (March 27, 2021). It now has 50,000 (rounded to nearest 100 miles) on it.

In a. Kemal year input 14-16K on a vehicle. Covid-19 has totally flipped that in its head. It appears that my employer is going to maintain my department in a near complete remote work system going forward. Travel to and from work was most of the mileage each year. I don’t expect a sub-3000 mile year in 2021-22, but I also do t see me putting more than 5-8K on the vehicle over the next year.

I’m hoping some of the “car guys” here at USMB can give me some advice on what I need to be doing to keep the vehicle as well-maintained as possible when it’s running so few miles.

The vehicle is driven probably 2/3 times a week. It sits in an open driveway the rest of the time, as we don’t have a garage.

I had all 4 tires and both front/rear brakes done on it last fall due to a failed safety inspection (failed for tires). I know it needs an oil change quite soon. What else should I be considering doing.

Let’s please be serious and skip the “Throw it away and buy a Chevy/Toyota/etc...” comments.
/—-/ Change the oil twice a year regardless of the mileage. Once a month or so, take it on the highway and openness her up for 10 miles then do the same heading home. It will prevent the carbon from building up. Once a year wipe down the gadgets and door seals with silicone spray and give a spray on all moving hinges.

If you are annually driving very low miles, say 3,000 and under. You still need to get an oil change once per year because of the accumulation of condensation in your car's oil, which can lead to internal engine problems in the future.
If all your driving is just short trips close to your house. Then once per month take your car for a 70+ mph drive down the Interstate highway for about 30 minutes. This will heat up your engine to max operating temperature and blow out any carbon that has built up inside the engine and exhaust system.
I once knew an elderly woman who only drove her car to the corner grocery store and down the street to her church. Eventually, her car started running really rough. The mechanics spent a long time trying to figure out the problem. Finally, they pulled the heads off the engine and discovered all of the pistons had a layer of carbon build up on top of them. So they had to hand scrape the carbon off the piston tops and exhaust ports. The car ran perfect after that, but the repair wasn't cheap. ... :cool:
When we only had carburetors, we would just put a teaspoon of water down the throat of the carburetor and it would take care of the carbon build-up.
> When we only had carburetors, we would just put a teaspoon of water down the throat of the carburetor and it would take care of the carbon build-up.

I can vouch for that.

I once dropped a screw down my carb. Mechanic across the street came to help me and poured literally cups of water down my carb while the engine was running in an attempt to flush the screw out. Big clouds of white smoke. I couldn't believe my engine was still running with the huge amounts of water he was pouring into the carb with my engine revving.

Didn't work, but it was a good attempt and a brilliant idea. I found the screw smashed into the head by one of the pistons.

I am not a “car guy”. For me a motor vehicle is a means to get from place to place. It’s not a status symbol. It’s not a statement. It’s a purely functional machine.

I currently drive a 2017 Ford Escape. I looked at the odometer yesterday and did some basic math; at which point I realized the vehicle had only gone 2,700 miles between May 18, 2020 and yesterday (March 27, 2021). It now has 50,000 (rounded to nearest 100 miles) on it.

In a. Kemal year input 14-16K on a vehicle. Covid-19 has totally flipped that in its head. It appears that my employer is going to maintain my department in a near complete remote work system going forward. Travel to and from work was most of the mileage each year. I don’t expect a sub-3000 mile year in 2021-22, but I also do t see me putting more than 5-8K on the vehicle over the next year.

I’m hoping some of the “car guys” here at USMB can give me some advice on what I need to be doing to keep the vehicle as well-maintained as possible when it’s running so few miles.

The vehicle is driven probably 2/3 times a week. It sits in an open driveway the rest of the time, as we don’t have a garage.

I had all 4 tires and both front/rear brakes done on it last fall due to a failed safety inspection (failed for tires). I know it needs an oil change quite soon. What else should I be considering doing.

Let’s please be serious and skip the “Throw it away and buy a Chevy/Toyota/etc...” comments.
Drive it occasionally, check tire pressure and fluids regularly, and change oil every few months.

It should be fine.

If you do not use a car for a week, you should consider a trickle charger for the battery.
It is also called a float charger, and you can get one for about $5 at Harbor Freight.
If you don't have an outlet near the car, you could consider a solar powered one, but I have no experience with that.

Sitting will condense water in the gas tank, so some Heat alcohol will help prevent corrosion in the tank.

Besides oil and filter changes every 10,000 miles, you could do an air filter and fuel filter.

There otherwise is no problem, and I often let an extra car sit for 6 months at a time, without problem.

If you do not use a car for a week, you should consider a trickle charger for the battery.
It is also called a float charger, and you can get one for about $5 at Harbor Freight.
If you don't have an outlet near the car, you could consider a solar powered one, but I have no experience with that.

Sitting will condense water in the gas tank, so some Heat alcohol will help prevent corrosion in the tank.

Besides oil and filter changes every 10,000 miles, you could do an air filter and fuel filter.

There otherwise is no problem, and I often let an extra car sit for 6 months at a time, without problem.

Modern cars have seperators for water.

Assed up the money for an Interstate battery and havent had an issue since.
I have only bought Interstate batteries for the last 30+ years.
Sure they cost a little more than the discount battery's from Walmart or the auto parts store.
But I've found them to be very reliable and longer lasting. ... :thup:

Assed up the money for an Interstate battery and havent had an issue since.
I have only bought Interstate batteries for the last 30+ years.
Sure they cost a little more than the discount battery's from Walmart or the auto parts store.
But I've found them to be very reliable and longer lasting. ... :thup:
I use a lot of interstate batteries too.

> When we only had carburetors, we would just put a teaspoon of water down the throat of the carburetor and it would take care of the carbon build-up.

I can vouch for that.

I once dropped a screw down my carb. Mechanic across the street came to help me and poured literally cups of water down my carb while the engine was running in an attempt to flush the screw out. Big clouds of white smoke. I couldn't believe my engine was still running with the huge amounts of water he was pouring into the carb with my engine revving.

Didn't work, but it was a good attempt and a brilliant idea. I found the screw smashed into the head by one of the pistons.
Did he think screws were water soluble?

I can vouch for that.

Haha :).

It was one tiny screw. He was hoping it was a loose screw, like you may have had :).

It was a brilliant attempt, trying to flush it out with the water in an attempt to avoid head removal, costing zero dollars and five minutes of labor. He said he had used the technique successfully before, and he was a full-time car mechanic.

I must admit that when I removed the head, there was no carbon in the cylinders. Flushed all that junk out.

OIL CHANGES

I can vouch for that.

Haha :).

It was one tiny screw. He was hoping it was a loose screw, like you may have had :).

It was a brilliant attempt, trying to flush it out with the water in an attempt to avoid head removal, costing zero dollars and five minutes of labor. He said he had used the technique successfully before, and he was a full-time car mechanic.

I must admit that when I removed the head, there was no carbon in the cylinders. Flushed all that junk out.
I'll bet it did. :biggrin:

Funnily enough, B-52s use water injection to increase thrust for takeoff. They smoke like crazy.

What do you have to do to keep the car in good shape?
Not much. I have a 2004 Ford Explore with 84,000 miles on it. For the last 10 years, we only drive it when we when have snow or go to the mountains. In Seattle that's about once a year and we drive in summer to my son's cabin once a year. So we only put a couple of thousand miles a year on the vehicle. I change the oil about every 3 years, need it or not. I check tire pressure and fluid levels in winter and summer. I drive about 10 miles ever 3 weeks to keep the battery charged and that's about it. The vehicle is kept in a garage so I rarely wash it. It has a few squeaks and rattles but I figure it will be running fine when I'm dead and gone.

BTW Ask your insurance if they have a rate for low usage cars. Some companies do.

All gas in the area already has alcohol in it.

You can get alcohol-free gas around here -- it's sold as recreation fuel for watercraft and other toys -- but it's significantly more expensive.

You can get alcohol-free gas around here -- it's sold as recreation fuel for watercraft and other toys -- but it's significantly more expensive.
>You can get alcohol-free gas around here -- it's sold as recreation fuel for watercraft and other toys -- but it's significantly more expensive.

Here too. Costs about $1/gallon more (but I don't pay much attention to cost). I use it in all of my small engines - lawn more, snow blower, weed whacker, etc.

I still use fuel stabilizer with it, but I haven't had a carb problem since I switched. I still drain the fuel tanks for long-term storage.

Ethanol (alcohol) absorbs water like a sponge. It will absorb it out of humid air, and turn into jello that will clog any carb. I have personally witnessed it, after a varmint chewed through one of my plastic gas cans. Had a bunch of jello at the bottom - basically slightly more than 10% by volume....

m-ethanol02.jpg

Not really a problem for modern cars, as their fuel systems are basically sealed. I wouldn't put it into a classic automobile without an evaporative emission control system though.

Pure ethanol also has about 25% less energy than gasoline.

>You can get alcohol-free gas around here -- it's sold as recreation fuel for watercraft and other toys -- but it's significantly more expensive.

Here too. Costs about $1/gallon more (but I don't pay much attention to cost). I use it in all of my small engines - lawn more, snow blower, weed whacker, etc.

I still use fuel stabilizer with it, but I haven't had a carb problem since I switched. I still drain the fuel tanks for long-term storage.

Ethanol (alcohol) absorbs water like a sponge. It will absorb it out of humid air, and turn into jello that will clog any carb. I have personally witnessed it, after a varmint chewed through one of my plastic gas cans. Had a bunch of jello at the bottom - basically slightly more than 10% by volume....

m-ethanol02.jpg

Not really a problem for modern cars, as their fuel systems are basically sealed. I wouldn't put it into a classic automobile without an evaporative emission control system though.

Yeah, ethanol production is a net energy loss.

Meanwhile, I put bog-standard 87 octane with 10% corn juice in my Honda self-propelled mower. I never drain the tank for the winter. I put an ounce of fuel system cleaner in the tank, and it fired up on the second pull Sunday. :biggrin:

m-ethanol02.jpg

Yeah, ethanol production is a net energy loss.

Meanwhile, I put bog-standard 87 octane with 10% corn juice in my Honda self-propelled mower. I never drain the tank for the winter. I put an ounce of fuel system cleaner in the tank, and it fired up on the second pull Sunday. :biggrin:
We live out in the sticks--so have about 20 gal. of gas and diesel around all the time. I treat the cans with stabilizer when I bring them home and never deal with it again--everything I have seems to run well.

Forum List

Back