Canceling a company's products

Sunni Man

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2008
Patriotic American Muslim
345260005_810549219932862_4464183845928380833_n.jpg

fact.....

Problem with the syrup bottles was “Aunt Jemima” was a remnant of slave days and was mockingly used to ridicule black women

Did you whitesplain that to the families of the models? They didn't want their relatives erased.

“This is an injustice for me and my family. This is part of my history,” Evans told Patch. “The racism they talk about, using images from slavery, that comes from the other side – white people. This company profits off images of our slavery. And their answer is to erase my great-grandmother’s history.”

The family of Lillian Richard, a native of Hawkins, Texas, also spoke out against the rebranding decision.

Richard was the face of Aunt Jemima from 1925 to 1940, a Texas CBS station reported, noting signs into the town say “Home of Lillian Richard ‘Aunt Jemima.'" In 1995, the Texas Legislature passed a resolution declaring Hawkins as the "Pancake Capital of Texas."

“I wish we would take a breath and not just get rid of everything, because good or bad, it is our history,” Vera Harris, family historian for the Richard family, told KLTV. “Removing that wipes away a part of me. A part of each of us. We are proud of our cousin.”

Forum List

Back