Canadian soldier suffering with PTSD offered euthanasia by Veterans Affairs

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
I know this is not U.S military, but I thought it pertinent to post here especially as I know historically U.S and Canadian soldiers have fought side by side and have similar challenges. Mods can move it if they are so inclined.

This is why I try and make Americans aware and I am not kidding that I wouldn't put it past my own healthcare system to end my life against my will.

Until American leaders start listening to many of us, you will slowly but surely follow us. I see it in your policing at times.

A Canadian armed forces veteran suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder and a traumatic brain injury was offered medical assistance in dying by an employee of Veterans Affairs Canada.

The VAC released a statement last week admitting to an incident "where medical assistance in dying was discussed inappropriately" with the veteran. The department pledged that "appropriate administrative action will be taken" after the veteran expressed outrage at the suggestion, according to a report in Global News.

According to the report, the veteran called VAC seeking support for PTSD when the employee brought up medical assistance in dying, or euthanasia, unprompted. The veteran was reportedly shocked by the suggestion. His family told Global News that the soldier had been making positive progress in his physical and mental rehabilitation and that he felt betrayed by an agency that is tasked with assisting veterans.

I know this is not U.S military, but I thought it pertinent to post here especially as I know historically U.S and Canadian soldiers have fought side by side and have similar challenges. Mods can move it if they are so inclined.

This is why I try and make Americans aware and I am not kidding that I wouldn't put it past my own healthcare system to end my life against my will.

Until American leaders start listening to many of us, you will slowly but surely follow us. I see it in your policing at times.

A Canadian armed forces veteran suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder and a traumatic brain injury was offered medical assistance in dying by an employee of Veterans Affairs Canada.

The VAC released a statement last week admitting to an incident "where medical assistance in dying was discussed inappropriately" with the veteran. The department pledged that "appropriate administrative action will be taken" after the veteran expressed outrage at the suggestion, according to a report in Global News.

According to the report, the veteran called VAC seeking support for PTSD when the employee brought up medical assistance in dying, or euthanasia, unprompted. The veteran was reportedly shocked by the suggestion. His family told Global News that the soldier had been making positive progress in his physical and mental rehabilitation and that he felt betrayed by an agency that is tasked with assisting veterans.

This would be a sad thing BUT it seems he was improperly advised. It's hard to take anything that one person did and make it a widespread thing.

People do dumb things.

This would be a sad thing BUT it seems he was improperly advised. It's hard to take anything that one person did and make it a widespread thing.

People do dumb things.

Our healthcare is struggling at historic levels. We have E.Rs closing for days, even in Toronto! We have ICU's closed for the foreseeable future in some cities.

Unintentionally intentional will be the name of the game moving forward. We have state run CBC promoting the savings we have when people are killed early, and, our numbers have increased exponentially, including i the euthanizing of the mentally challenged.

Save some of us, please. I keep telling you all, we are living in East Germany with Stasi and all. WHy do you think we have the second highest expat rate in the world. People are leaving our creepy police state in droves.

Stop trusting Canada, especially in Ontario, we are NOT like you.

Our healthcare is struggling at historic levels. We have E.Rs closing for days, even in Toronto! We have ICU's closed for the foreseeable future in some cities.

Unintentionally intentional will be the name of the game moving forward. We have state run CBC promoting the savings we have when people are killed early, and, our numbers have increased exponentially, including i the euthanizing of the mentally challenged.

Save some of us, please. I keep telling you all, we are living in East Germany with Stasi and all. WHy do you think we have the second highest expat rate in the world. People are leaving our creepy police state in droves.

Stop trusting Canada, especially in Ontario, we are NOT like you.

Sorry, Canada doesn't have any sway over that I think one way or the other.

Depending on the severity, he could accept the offer.
It's complely legitimate to make the offer. (is it a truthful story?)

The only factor that could make the offer possibly illegitimate would be others beliefs in religious superstition.

We've already had an attempt at this discussion and it fell flat on account of most fearing to express an opinion, pro or con.

Depending on the severity, he could accept the offer.
It's complely legitimate to make the offer. (is it a truthful story?)

The only factor that could make the offer possibly illegitimate would be others beliefs in religious superstition.

We've already had an attempt at this discussion and it fell flat on account of most fearing to express an opinion, pro or con.

I am blessed by your presence, regardless of your motivations, you remind Americans of what I am warning them about while happily reinforcing my general thesis about the character of far too many Canadians.

I am blessed by your presence, regardless of your motivations, you remind Americans of what I am warning them about while happily reinforcing my general thesis about the character of far too many Canadians.
In the least you could have said something about the low character you are supposing.

Some reason why anyone who is suffering extreme effect of war should be denied a choice?

This sounds a lot like you upholding America's fascist ideals of denying the right to choose )abortion) to it's citizens.

Anything to offer before you're thread is off the page?

If there is a country America needs to invade on the pretext of saving it from it's authoritarianism rule it's Canada.....We would have to cleanse the surly Quebeckers to make it worthwhile though. ;)

People do dumb things.
If nothing else the government worker should be fired

Yeah... you (not you specifically) Canadians seem to like euthanizing your poor, infirmed, homeless, and mentally ill...

But hey, what's a little eugenics between friends?

In the least you could have said something about the low character you are supposing.

Some reason why anyone who is suffering extreme effect of war should be denied a choice?

This sounds a lot like you upholding America's fascist ideals of denying the right to choose )abortion) to it's citizens.

Anything to offer before you're thread is off the page?

It isn't the VA's purview to advise a Canadian soldier on the options of euthanasia, if you read the article, you would understand that the VA themselves apologized and explained that this isn't their job. Especially when it was unprompted. It is why the solider was so angry.

Imagine risking your life for your country, often with inferior equipment to other allies, going through PTSD as a result, making some progress, and some government worker, probably there for the rest of their lives, tells the guy "consider assisted suicide to take the pain away".

Canada should take hundreds of millions out of the coffers of police agencies, starting with the RCMP on down and putting that money to better use for more honourable men, especially our military and support services.

Yeah... you (not you specifically) Canadians seem to like euthanizing their poor, infirmed, homeless, and mentally ill...

But hey, what's a little eugenics between friends?

A person with such a perspective is beneath civilized men among us. I wouldn't be bewildered at all to realize such people sharing a middle name of "Heinrich" on their birth certificate..

If nothing else the government worker should be fired

One comment resonated with me, a family member of a Canadian soldier who seems to have experienced grief in her family, "we have a soldier suicide problem already in Canada, how many have received such advice in the past and became so discouraged and left alone, that they did it themselves?"

It isn't the VA's purview to advise a Canadian soldier on the options of euthanasia, if you read the article, you would understand that the VA themselves apologized and explained that this isn't their job. Especially when it was unprompted. It is why the solider was so angry.

Imagine risking your life for your country, often with inferior equipment to other allies, going through PTSD as a result, making some progress, and some government worker, probably there for the rest of their lives, tells the guy "consider assisted suicide to take the pain away".

Canada should take hundreds of millions out of the coffers of police agencies, starting with the RCMP on down and putting that money to better use for more honourable men, especially our military and support services.
I hear nothing but religious dogma from you.. Good luck with your latest scheme to get even with government.

One comment resonated with me, a family member of a Canadian soldier who seems to have experienced grief in her family, "we have a soldier suicide problem already in Canada, how many have received such advice in the past and became so discouraged and left alone, that they did it themselves?"
Thats a good question

A person with such a perspective is beneath civilized men among us. I wouldn't be bewildered at all to realize such people sharing a middle name of "Heinrich" on their birth certificate..

When I first happened upon an article discussing the decision to allow otherwise healthy people to choose assisted suicide, euthanasia, I must say I was a bit taken aback. Having witnessed the slow decline and death of my father from cancer, I understand the practice for the terminally ill, but because you're poor? And the government supports it? Jesus Christ... what's wrong up there?

When I first happened upon an article discussing the decision to allow otherwise healthy people to choose assisted suicide, euthanasia, I must say I was a bit taken aback. Having witnessed the slow decline and death of my father from cancer, I understand the practice for the terminally ill, but because you're poor? And the government supports it? Jesus Christ... what's wrong up there?
whats wrong up there ? leftists in government .

I hear nothing but religious dogma from you.. Good luck with your latest scheme to get even with government.

Not celebrating the encouragement of suicide to solider by government is now defined by some of your ilk as "religious dogma".

Keep reminding the world why Canada is losing and will continue to decline into the abyss.

Forum List

Back