Canada opens strategic reserve to combat global shortage...

Of maple syrup!

Was anyone here aware that there actually was a strategic maple syrup reserve?

Believe it or not...
There are other tree saps that make wonderful syrups. Like Birch or walnut trees.

But these things are labor intensive and very much cottage industries like vanilla beans in South America.

In fact, Maple Syrup with the desired sweetness and viscosity is very difficult to produce anywhere except Canada.

It's not just that the syrup comes from the Maple Tree ... the tree must be in an environment of very specific temperature ranges for a very specific range of weeks in order to produce quality syrup.

I don't care what Mrs Butterworth says (especially as all she peddles in high fructose corn syrup) ... there IS NO SUBSTITUTE for authentic Canadian Maple syrup.

That is our contribution to the world. I didn't even realize how dominant we were in the industry. If we treated the rest of the economy and our civil liberties with such vigor, we would be a Super Power.

In fact, Maple Syrup with the desired sweetness and viscosity is very difficult to produce anywhere except Canada.

It's not just that the syrup comes from the Maple Tree ... the tree must be in an environment of very specific temperature ranges for a very specific range of weeks in order to produce quality syrup.

I don't care what Mrs Butterworth says (especially as all she peddles in high fructose corn syrup) ... there IS NO SUBSTITUTE for authentic Canadian Maple syrup.
Ummm....
Pennsylvania and Vermont maple syrup is pretty good stuff.
The Poconos produce some really good stuff.

New Topics

Forum List

Back