Canada bent over a barrel in NAFTA, gets Mexico to agree to team up, Mexico backs off, again

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
I told you to watch out for these sneaky Canadians, they've ruined my life but good with their dirty covert police spying, lack of accountability and transparency. When it comes to character, you should never trust any authority in Canada, they abuse their own citizens and get used to doing the same to big, strong America (with plenty of help from your media and politicians).

As it were, we are desperate to get something done by Monday, and tried once again to get Mexico to collude with us to pressure America to deal. Mexico agreed, then backed off (after probably telling the U.S our tactics).

I assure you America doesn't have to give even an inch, Canada will sign ANY deal at this time to maintain being in NAFTA.

Canada never learns, even as I warned them over a decade ago now....karma I guess...

Freeland postpones UN speech today amid NAFTA talks and looming deadline

Canada's Chrystia Freeland postpones UN speech today amid NAFTA talks, looming deadline | CBC News

Mexico agrees to intervene, then walks back

Mexico's new president-elect, however, said in an interview Friday that he has agreed to push the American side to make a deal with Canada.

President-elect Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said Prime Minister Justin Trudeau asked him during a Thursday phone call "to intervene and call on the U.S. government to reach an agreement" with Canada on the renegotiation of the North American Free Trade Agreement.

"We agreed to that," Lopez Obrador told reporters in Mexico City. The president-elect also said he would insist on a trilateral pact.

However, later Friday evening, Lopez Obrador's Senate leader, Ricardo Monreal, said Mexico wouldn't walk away from a bilateral agreement.

"The ideal is a trilateral deal, but we're prepared for the possible need of a bilateral," he told Bloomberg News.

According to a readout of the call from the Prime Minister's Office, the two men "agreed to work closely together to further strengthen the dynamic partnership between Canada and Mexico," and "discussed NAFTA and the mutually beneficial economic and trading relationship between our two countries."

But Lopez Obrador, who takes office on Dec. 1, said the NAFTA language between Washington and Mexico City was now final.

Forum List

Back