Can We Call The US Govt-Run Public School System A Huge FAILURE Now?

'PUTTING OUR KIDS AT RISK'

Teacher raises alarm over plans for in-person instruction of migrant children

'America LAST....AGAIN.....'

It sure failed you. On the other hand it made America a super power.

EDUCATION 'SUPER POWER'?!

THE UNITED STATES IS RANKED 7TH (SEVENTH) IN OVERALL EDUCATION IN THE WORLD....

EDUCATION 'SUPER POWER'?!

THE UNITED STATES IS RANKED 7TH (SEVENTH) IN OVERALL EDUCATION IN THE WORLD....

The United States is a super power. We are no longer tops in education but we're for many many years.

Properly fund it and support it for a decade, then, if it still sucks you can call it a failure. Unfortunately, the right wing has been undermining public education for decades now.

I take it that you are ignorant of the fact that our worst schools are among those with the most money per student?

Money is not the solution. Democrat policies are the problem.

Please post some legit links supporting this claim.

Properly fund it and support it for a decade, then, if it still sucks you can call it a failure. Unfortunately, the right wing has been undermining public education for decades now.

I take it that you are ignorant of the fact that our worst schools are among those with the most money per student?

Happy to oblige.

Washington, D.C., Public Schools Spend $30K Per Student; 23% of 8th Graders Proficient in Reading
Terry Jeffrey
Terry Jeffrey

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 12:01 AM

The public elementary and secondary schools in the District of Columbia spent $30,115 per pupil during the 2016-2017 school year, according to Table 236.75 in the Department of Education's "Digest of Education Statistics."

But only 23% of the eighth graders in the district's public schools were proficient or better in reading in 2019, according to the department's National Assessment of Educational Progress, or NAEP, tests.

Similarly, only 23% of eighth graders in the district's public schools were proficient or better in mathematics.

Our education system is doing everything they wanted it to do.....force-feeding communism...Islam....and political-correctness to our children....turning them into brats that see racism in any and everything.
I call them enlightened children. Different strokes.

Our education system is doing everything they wanted it to do.....force-feeding communism...Islam....and political-correctness to our children....turning them into brats that see racism in any and everything.
I call them enlightened children. Different strokes.

If you mean by enlightened they are irresponsible blamers who cannot compete, then have at it!

Ah...the right wing "philosophy". So just. So strident. So noble in the quest to make public education better. If only it were.
Guess you didn't take the time to read the article. Well, not much I can say. This really isn't a "Democrat" problem.
It's a scapegoat problem. The right wing...has been rooting those goats out for years. While ignoring educators cries for reform.
Easier for them to put their efforts into calling for "charter schools" and "school vouchers", and "school choice"....and the circle begins again.

The educator's won!
They took God out of school and replaced Him with Big Gov't and Marxism.

Well, I believe that God only made it into schools in the Eisenhower administration. Not that I think that God gives a hoot about what goes on down here on this ball of mud...but hey, we can speculate. :)
I don't remember learning about Big Government in school. I do remember a HUGE kerfuffle in my town following the Republican (Just and Righteous) Revolution of 1994. A "Moment of Silence" was extremely
important to the Bible thumpers in my town because everyone was concerned about standing for the Pledge...you know, instead of mundane things like, school supplies, funding for arts and sciences, and making
sure we had enough competent teachers hired for the exploding influx of young families we had at the time. :)

American schools are NOT necessarily a "failure."

But a lot of their "students" certainly are!

Just as a family is no better than its members, and a nation is no better than its people, so are schools no better than its students. (Boy! Are we in trouble!)

Happy to oblige.

Washington, D.C., Public Schools Spend $30K Per Student; 23% of 8th Graders Proficient in Reading
Terry Jeffrey
Terry Jeffrey

The public elementary and secondary schools in the District of Columbia spent $30,115 per pupil during the 2016-2017 school year, according to Table 236.75 in the Department of Education's "Digest of Education Statistics."

But only 23% of the eighth graders in the district's public schools were proficient or better in reading in 2019, according to the department's National Assessment of Educational Progress, or NAEP, tests.

Similarly, only 23% of eighth graders in the district's public schools were proficient or better in mathematics.

Unsurprisingly this number does not exist anywhere outside of 2 questionable far right wing websites *shock*. The actual number I'm seeing is 22k. The problem here aren't democratic policies, which is the typical hyper partisan right wing response to everything. In some states the cost per student is high and so is reading proficiency and sometimes it's low, as in this case. This is what happens when 64% of the student enrollment in DC is black, which statistically is the ethnic group with worse reading proficiency in the country, by an enormous margin. I think they're somewhere in the 10th percentile or something. Then on top of that 20% or enrollment is hispanic, which is the next group with the lowest proficiency. The fact that it's 23% is probably a huge testament, as this is above the national average for blacks, for reading and math proficiency. It's still terrible, but it is what it is. Stop blaming democrats when republicans are equal to blame, and wouldn't have the first clue how to fix the same issue

Happy to oblige.

Terry Jeffrey
Terry Jeffrey

Unsurprisingly this number does not exist anywhere outside of 2 questionable far right wing websites *shock*. The actual number I'm seeing is 22k. The problem here aren't democratic policies, which is the typical hyper partisan right wing response to everything. In some states the cost per student is high and so is reading proficiency and sometimes it's low, as in this case. This is what happens when 64% of the student enrollment in DC is black, which statistically is the ethnic group with worse reading proficiency in the country, by an enormous margin. I think they're somewhere in the 10th percentile or something. Then on top of that 20% or enrollment is hispanic, which is the next group with the lowest proficiency. The fact that it's 23% is probably a huge testament, as this is above the national average for blacks, for reading and math proficiency. It's still terrible, but it is what it is. Stop blaming democrats when republicans are equal to blame, and wouldn't have the first clue how to fix the same issue

High Public School Spending in DC Hasn’t Produced Desired Outcomes
May 1st, 2018

Spending by Washington, D.C., public schools can be difficult to pin down.

Estimates suggest spending is somewhere between $27,000 and $29,000 per child per year, which is roughly double the national average. Assuming $27,000 per student per year, D.C. taxpayers spend about $350,000 on a student from kindergarten through graduation.

One could be forgiven for expecting good educational outcomes for such breathtaking sums. Yet educational outcomes in the District of Columbia are one of the clearest examples of the disconnect between spending and academic achievement.

[...]

In eighth-grade math, for example, D.C. students scored 16 points below the national average. In reading, D.C. students were 19 points behind their peers across the country.

Proficiency levels in reading and math also leave much to be desired. Among fourth-graders, 32 percent scored proficient or better in math, and 29 percent scored proficient in reading. Just 20 percent of eighth-graders tested proficient or better in reading, and just 21 percent in math.

That’s right: Just two out of 10 eighth-graders in D.C. public schools can read or do math proficiently.

###

Forget the dollars wasted, do you dispute the RESULTS? If so, please show us all where they are reported markedly better, or worse.

Forum List

Back