Can Atheists refuse to swear on the bible in US courts?

Donald Polish

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2014
Kansas City
Our judicial also has some "loopholes"...
The oath I believe people take when they are on the stand in trial is to put their right hand up, left hand on the bible and say "I swear to tell the truth" (or something like that, I think it is longer, but couldn't find it.) and finish with "so help me god." If one was an Atheist could they leave out the bible and mention of god? Has this been done before? What is that oath called, does it have a special name?
Thus being an atheist you may avoid a trial.
Just wondering?

The oath I believe people take when they are on the stand in trial is to put their right hand up, left hand on the bible and say "I swear to tell the truth" (or something like that, I think it is longer, but couldn't find it.) and finish with "so help me god." If one was an Atheist could they leave out the bible and mention of god? Has this been done before? What is that oath called, does it have a special name?
Just wondering?
I don't care if they swear on a comic book, as long as they do not perjure themselves.

Just wondering?

:confused-84:

All they need do is swear or affirm they will tell the truth, no need for any book, if they are caught lying, all perjury laws apply.

Forum List

Back