Can Any Dem/lib Tell Us What Agency The Govt Has Run Efficiently?

We have the strongest military in the history of mankind, safe food and drugs, we went to the moon, we have made major strides in protecting our environment, government funded R&D in medicine, science and technology

I will take our government over any government on earth

Anyone want to argue with me?
All that thanks to the private sector, the research they do and the taxes they pay.

We have the strongest military in the history of mankind, safe food and drugs, we went to the moon, we have made major strides in protecting our environment, government funded R&D in medicine, science and technology

All that thanks to the private sector, the research they do and the taxes they pay.

Bullshit.

Most of them.
Most government agencies couldn't find their backsides with both hands in a well-lit room surrounded by mirrors.

Oftentimes staffed by dull, unimaginative, self-seeking bureaucratic and calendar-watching pension-sniffers, bellying-up to the trough for their unfair share of budget dollars, territorial, secretive, self-promoting, self-preserving, overlapping and wasteful, many of those same departments need a thorough housecleaning, mission and charter review, new performance indicators and outcomes evaluation, new and more visible and transparent public accountability, and, in some cases, closure, consolidation or downsizing.

Uh-huh.

Unlike the Private Sector, which are run by the cream of the crop.

frankly, I've seen more incompetence in the private sector than I've ever seen in the government.
My experience has been pretty much the reverse.

As have the experiences of a great many others, else the stereotyping of government agencies would never have gained such traction.

Private companies have a bottom-line indicator of success... their bottom line.

Government agencies can operate inefficiently (sometimes, grotesquely inefficiently) for decades on end, without fear of closure, because of a guaranteed revenue stream.

And a highly politicized and pro forma Performance Review process.

You know as well as I do that these fundamental differences between the public and private sectors contribute-to and sustain the inefficiency of a great many government agencies.

This is not to say that there are not legions of dedicated public servants within that sector who are largely devoted to their country and service to their countrymen.

But to ignore the grotesque inefficiencies and problematic operations of so many of these agencies is to ignore the 10-ton elephant in the room.

And there in lies the difference between conservative and liberal thought.

For conservatives, wealth is the one and only goal. With wealth, for a conservative, comes power and the ability to exert one's will over others.

For liberals, it is the advancement of civilization, as a whole that is the goal. If a civilization is effective in providing safety, scholarship and is sustainable for the future, that's success.

It's a vastly different mindset.

Bullshit.
Seriously? OK, you tell me where the money comes from and who made these rockets and other goodies.

Bullshit.
Seriously? OK, you tell me where the money comes from and who made these rockets and other goodies.

Which private sector?

Seriously?

Most of the private sector..or major corporations are like vampires.

They pay little or no taxes..and in fact make a GREAT DEAL of money at the behest of our government.

They do this through tax breaks/subsidies and contracts.

The greatest extraction of wealth in this country comes from private citizens and goes to the captains of industry.

And yet? That's not enough.

The USDA is another efficient Federal agency, given the size and scope of its regulatory responsibilities, the many challenges facing American agriculture, and its administrative duties concerning the SNAP program.

In essence the issue of the 'efficiency' of the Federal government is nothing more than a partisan game of bickering over whether the glass is half empty or half full.

The government funds that research......it is what they do

Want to go to the moon? Private sector didn't pay for that

Dollar for dollar, America offers the most effective and efficient government on the planet, doing so for about 20 cents on the dollar nationally, 28 cents if you include state and local taxes.

The OP is parroting a talking point. If he isn't maybe he can prove the above WRONG and/or name another country that can match or best those figures.
Agree

I will take the efficiency and accomplishments of our government over any government on earth

You guys are morons. Government funds that research, lol!

Who funds government?!

They tried that idiotic nationalization shit in a lot of places, and guess what? It was a miserable failure!

Idiots!

Who funds government?

We do. I know I do. At a higher rate than Mitt Romney does.

Corporations sure don't anywhere near as much as they used to.

You guys are morons. Government funds that research, lol!

Who funds government?!

They tried that idiotic nationalization shit in a lot of places, and guess what? It was a miserable failure!

Idiots!
You seem to miss the point that the government represents We the people

You can't say that the government doesn't do any good, then when it is pointed out that they do claim that they didn't pay for it

They are We

OK, I'll bite.

The government provides water to my house at a cost of less than $25 per month, which is safe to drink, always reliable, and has never run out or been disrupted for more than 8 hours in my entire life. Yet, I live only 30 miles from Mexico, where I can not safely drink the water, or even use their ice in a drink. But, while we are at it, I might add that the community water is threatened by a privately owned mine, one of the largest copper mines in America, which has been leaching acid into the ground near our aquifer for 70 years. The community water system has gotten laws passed that require that the "acid bloom" be monitored and controlled to keep it out of the aquifer. AND, while we are at it, the EPA has now forced the privately owned mine to spray water on the mine tailings that are loose, in order to keep blowing dust to a minimum, which carries a fungus that causes a respiratory disease referred to down here as Valley Fever.

While we are on the subject, the government also processes all the sewage in our community, and it costs me less than $30 per month. The environment is clean, and unlike most third world countries, there are no diseases that are spread in my community due to raw sewage.

The post office will deliver a letter from my house in NJ to my brothers house in California for 49 cents

Let's see private industry match that

Oh, nolo contendere...

However, even within the sampling domain of The Best that you cite here, there is great waste, and great fault, and great laziness, and great greed, and great inefficiency.

You can argue that one until you're blue in the face but it won't get you anywhere.

Most of them.
Most government agencies couldn't find their backsides with both hands in a well-lit room surrounded by mirrors.

Oftentimes staffed by dull, unimaginative, self-seeking bureaucratic and calendar-watching pension-sniffers, bellying-up to the trough for their unfair share of budget dollars, territorial, secretive, self-promoting, self-preserving, overlapping and wasteful, many of those same departments need a thorough housecleaning, mission and charter review, new performance indicators and outcomes evaluation, new and more visible and transparent public accountability, and, in some cases, closure, consolidation or downsizing.

Uh-huh.

frankly, I've seen more incompetence in the private sector than I've ever seen in the government.

As have the experiences of a great many others, else the stereotyping of government agencies would never have gained such traction.

Government agencies can operate inefficiently (sometimes, grotesquely inefficiently) for decades on end, without fear of closure, because of a guaranteed revenue stream.

You know as well as I do that these fundamental differences between the public and private sectors contribute-to and sustain the inefficiency of a great many government agencies.

This is not to say that there are not legions of dedicated public servants within that sector who are largely devoted to their country and service to their countrymen.

But to ignore the grotesque inefficiencies and problematic operations of so many of these agencies is to ignore the 10-ton elephant in the room.

For conservatives, wealth is the one and only goal. With wealth, for a conservative, comes power and the ability to exert one's will over others.

For liberals, it is the advancement of civilization, as a whole that is the goal. If a civilization is effective in providing safety, scholarship and is sustainable for the future, that's success.

Newsflash, mine good colleague...

We are closer to being on the same page here than you appear to perceive...

My reference to private corporations and gauges for success is not an indicator that I (or anyone else) citing that gauge is not also in favor of the advancement of civilization.

It is merely an articulation of the hard-and-fast indicators available in the private sector, versus the need for better barometers and mission and charter and goals and outcomes measurement in the public sector.

Nowhere in my own meanderings here on the subject will you find a mindless advocacy that the private sector can do everything better than the public one.

I throw rocks at the public sector here as my own microscopic contribution to public airings of opinion that we have much work yet to do on the public side of the fence.

Last edited:
Most of them.

Uh-huh.

Newsflash, mine good colleague...

We are closer to being on the same page here than you appear to perceive...

My reference to private corporations and gauges for success is not an indicator that I (or anyone else) citing that gauge is not also in favor of the advancement of civilization.

It is merely an articulation of the hard-and-fast indicators available in the private sector, versus the need for better barometers and mission and charter and goals and outcomes measurement in the public sector.

Nowhere in my own meanderings here on the subject will you find a mindless advocacy that the private sector can do everything better than the public one.

I throw rocks at the public sector here as my own microscopic contribution to public airings of opining that we have much work yet to do on the public side of the fence.
Well heck.

I am a big advocate of finding out where a plan goes wrong..and fixing it.

Yes men are just as injurious to a process as people who want to tear it down.

Grats.

:thup:

I agree with you 100%. But we are 17 trillion dollars in debt. We have not achieved those things you mentioned with fiscal efficiency. Are you now, as a liberal, claiming that NASA and DOD have been run efficiently?

Dollar for dollar, America offers the most effective and efficient government on the planet, doing so for about 20 cents on the dollar nationally, 28 cents if you include state and local taxes.

The OP is parroting a talking point. If he isn't maybe he can prove the above WRONG and/or name another country that can match or best those figures.

we are currently borrowing 40 cents of every dollar spent by the federal government. we are 17 trillion in debt and will be over 20 trillion when obama leaves the mess for the next president.

Yes, this country has done many great things, no one is denying that. The question is efficiency. a 17 trillion dollar debt does not display efficiency.

Forum List

Back