Calling out "Mansplaining" and Misogyny!

Derideo_Te

Je Suis Charlie
Mar 2, 2013
So the context here is that when [MENTION=23424]syrenn[/MENTION] asked me if I wanted to participate and help out for Breast Cancer Awareness month I decided that I this was a worthy cause and that I would contribute. Switching over to pink avatars and pos repping everyone who did was all part of the fun. As Halloween approached the theme of the avatars began to change so I looked for one that would include the BCA theme of pink and boobs and I opted for my current Elvira avatar. I continued posting giving it no more thought than I had to the similar themed avatars that I had used earlier.

Then I came across this thread by [MENTION=12394]PoliticalChic[/MENTION] and opted to participate with a response.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/320446-democrats-folding.html

My post elicited a response from [MENTION=30955]Rottweiler[/MENTION] which resulted in a number of other posts from each of us. At first I ignored the lame insults as is my wont because most posters will drop them if I don't respond in kind. However the tone rang a bell with something that my daughter had mentioned to me about "mansplaining" and so I did a little research and this sure looks like it to me;

http://www.usmessageboard.com/8049507-post188.html

Thank you for confirming that you are incompetent - believing that giving you a right to steal from me is what dictates a society as being "civilized"... :cuckoo:

I mean, seriously [MENTION=42916]Derideo_Te[/MENTION], if this is the most "intelligent" response you have, you've pretty much lost the debate on the intellectual battlefield.

Did you even read Bastiat's quote? Are you too brainwashed by the liberal propaganda machine to even comprehend it's meaning?

More irony from [MENTION=30955]Rottweiler[/MENTION]!

The woman who says that I'm not "capable of comprehending" what it means to be part of a "civilized society" because I won't allow her to steal from me wants to talk about irony now.... :lmao:

Sweetie, what is more uncivilized than people stealing and acting like thugs? You have no right to what I have. None. You have no moral grounds to it. No legal grounds to it. No constitutional grounds to it. No religious grounds to it.

You want to bring back slavery and have me labor on your behalf because you can't afford something you want or need. Sorry, it's not happening. Abraham Lincoln and the Republicans outlawed slavery in the 1860's after we won the Civil War. And you Dumbocrats have been trying to bring slavery back ever since. You lost the Civil War. Get over it already. And learn to take care of yourself like a big girl.

The thread has many more such posts and they are nowhere near as "polite" but it the sheer condescending BS that needs to be called out here. It literally opened my eyes to the fact that women have had to put up with this kind offensive attitude from room temperature jerks like [MENTION=30955]Rottweiler[/MENTION] for their entire lives. Yes, I can understand why he mistook me for being female but his lowbrow puerile responses were both unprovoked and sexist.

Ladies, I admire your restraint at not kneeing runt of the cognitive litter needle dicks like [MENTION=30955]Rottweiler[/MENTION] in the groin at every opportunity because they thoroughly deserve it. But this is the internet and you can only do so virtually. So I have started this thread for the purpose of identifying and calling out "mansplaining" and misogyny in these threads.

From a male perspective we can choose whether we want to be associated with the likes of the knuckle draggers or be real men and stand up for women by calling out this abominable behavior whenever we see it. If you supported BCA then let's also support making this forum a better place for all of us to share our opinions without resorting to the lowest common denominator.

LOL, i dont mean to laugh.... but you got a taste of how men (and some women) treat you as a woman. I have to say that it may be a good learning experience.

LOL, i dont mean to laugh.... but you got a taste of how men (and some women) treat you as a woman. I have to say that it may be a good learning experience.

Yes, it was a learning experience. :) It took something that I only really had an intellectual grasp of and turned it into something much more real. My reaction was how dare anyone speak to women like this? It was literally jaw dropping. In real life I would probably have done something physical about it but in a virtual world that isn't feasible. So I opted for the next best thing that I could think of.

Since you decided to say it was a "Calling out", I moved it to the Bull Ring.
Could be moved again.

I wasn't exactly sure where it was supposed to go so thanks for moving it, Alan.

:)

And yes, it might end up in the FZ depending on the responses.

Yes, it was a learning experience. :) It took something that I only really had an intellectual grasp of and turned it into something much more real. My reaction was how dare anyone speak to women like this? It was literally jaw dropping. In real life I would probably have done something physical about it but in a virtual world that isn't feasible. So I opted for the next best thing that I could think of.

Not if you were a woman. We've been putting up with manshit for evah and are pretty good at either calling guys out on it or just ignoring it. Well, just speaking for myself.

Not if you were a woman. We've been putting up with manshit for evah and are pretty good at either calling guys out on it or just ignoring it. Well, just speaking for myself.

Most of us just realize that their puny little egos have to have it that way! Try being a woman in law school if you want to experience misogyny.

That is why I admire your restraint. Your patience seems limitless. :)

This is partly what the movie Tootsie was all about. But, it's late where I am and I still have homework to do. I'll get back to you in less than 24 hours, most likely. Good thread!

I'd just go with "consider the source," but you're a good friend, and so here I am.

Mansplaining, without me hitting Google and as I understand it, is when men give their perspective on women's issues. It's why I don't stay with the abortion threads until they expel their last breath. It's ridiculous that a bunch of men are trying to explain why the only logical answer is that the woman either never have sex again, or sign up for that 18 year sentence that just got dropped on her head.

Now, if they understand the concept of women's rights, welcome aboard and pass the ammunition. But if they think that they should be able to dictate ... and etc.You've seen my argument, I don't need to lay the whole thing out here.

As to the being treated as less than by virtue of genitals? Most of the time it's laughable. Some of the time, it's irritating. But when I start publishing, I have a decision to make - and I'm sure everybody knows why J.K. Rowling went with the initials.

Oh, and if you want to see another angle, do a search on Warrior102 and see how he treats liberal women vs conservative women vs any man he happens to trip over.

I'd just go with "consider the source," but you're a good friend, and so here I am.

Mansplaining, without me hitting Google and as I understand it, is when men give their perspective on women's issues. It's why I don't stay with the abortion threads until they expel their last breath. It's ridiculous that a bunch of men are trying to explain why the only logical answer is that the woman either never have sex again, or sign up for that 18 year sentence that just got dropped on her head. Now, if they understand the concept of women's rights, welcome aboard and pass the ammunition. But if they think that they should be able to dictate ... and etc.You've seen my argument, I don't need to lay the whole thing out here.

As to the being treated as less than by virtue of genitals? Most of the time it's laughable. Some of the time, it's irritating. But when I start publishing, I have a decision to make - and I'm sure everybody knows why J.K. Rowling went with the initials.

LOL You are so right! And very cleverly said!

I pretty much ignore the rantings of posters who post such dribble. They do it because they can get away with it, probably henpecked at home and this is their only place where they can get even, with some other woman that had nothing to do with their not wearing the pants at home. I usually just consider the source, ignore and let them make idiots of themselves.

Mansplaining, without me hitting Google and as I understand it, is when men give their perspective on women's issues. It's why I don't stay with the abortion threads until they expel their last breath. It's ridiculous that a bunch of men are trying to explain why the only logical answer is that the woman either never have sex again, or sign up for that 18 year sentence that just got dropped on her head.

Now, if they understand the concept of women's rights, welcome aboard and pass the ammunition. But if they think that they should be able to dictate ... and etc.You've seen my argument, I don't need to lay the whole thing out here.

Perhaps I should have included a link to "mansplaining" so here is one with examples;

Academic Men Explain Things to Me

In which: a cis-hetero-white-male tells me a thing about the innate nature of gender
As a graduate student nearing completion of both a master’s of sociology degree, as well as a graduate certificate in women’s and gender studies, I was unprepared for this exchange in my history course on Women in America to 1890.

"Where do we get gender?" the professor inquires. I look around at my 12 other classmates, who are a mixture of graduate and undergraduate students…when no one responds I offer, "Gender arises from a hierarchical social discourse constructed via all the major institutions of society—family, church, school, polity—and is inculcated through gender socialization. It’s socially constructed and regulated by a set of privileged norms."

Dude-Bro: ”But it’s innate…I mean, my wife was designed to hear the pitch of our son cry; I literally cannot hear him. You’re telling me that’s not from biology?”

Me: ”You’re not talking about gender.”

Dude-Bro: ”Yeah, well—you push out a baby, then maybe you’ll understand.”

============================================

Let me tell you about raw milk!
I was invited to a friend’s large family gathering for Thanksgiving. She introduced me to her brother, who is an air traffic controller, and (I don’t remember how it came up) mentioned that I work for a raw milk dairy on weekends. Naturally, I know a lot about raw milk, why they had to start pasteurizing it early in the last century, the difference between milk from industrial dairies and milk from grass-fed organic dairies, and why the raw milk I distribute is safe and healthful. I have to know, because it’s my job.

The first words out of his mouth were, “You distribute raw milk? They pasteurize milk for a reason, you know. Let me tell you about raw milk.”

I smirked. He (thankfully) did not go on.

I just wonder what the reaction would have been if I had said, “You’re an air traffic controller? Let me tell you about radar.”

============================================

18th-Century Muskets
I participate in 18th century living history events. A young man with whom I am acquainted mentioned that he got himself a new gun on Facebook. Excited for him I asked him what kind he purchased. He replied: rev war.

I pried a little further, rattling off various types, hoping for a more detailed answer, to which he said, “Bess. It’s British.”

I understand that style of musket is an English model. Fed up, and unwilling to deal with him any longer I said, “Silly question, eh? ;)” And I kicked myself, knowing I ought to have stood up for myself explaining that I knew what kind of gun he’d gotten and I was wondering what model he’d gotten for himself.

He replied with, “Uh yea”.

Only when another man asked him what kind of gun he purchased did he say both the kind and model.

Apparently I need basic answers because I can’t possibly have a working knowledge of 18th century muskets.

When my son came into my life I made a decision to close my practice for good and be with him. This involves me volunteering at his school quite frequently and I am at his school everyday. Being an affable person, I was open to small talk and such from other parents (mothers) ....after a while I learned the meaning of displaced anger and resentment as these people were generally upset with their absentee husbands who bust their asses so they can live in this "bedroom" community and thought I was an easy target for their barrage of bullshit ranging from complaints to snarky attitudes as I was virtually the only man they came in contact with.

I have learned that bringing a good book with me whenever I go leads to a measure of equanimity while I enjoy watching my son play with his friends at the playground after school...:eusa_silenced:

:lol:

I pretty much ignore the rantings of posters who post such dribble. They do it because they can get away with it, probably henpecked at home and this is their only place where they can get even, with some other woman that had nothing to do with their not wearing the pants at home. I usually just consider the source, ignore and let them make idiots of themselves.

Drivel. The word is drivel.

Drivel Synonyms, Drivel Antonyms | Thesaurus.com

I imagine most men are guilty of such at times, including me. Women have their own form of doing it to guys, something of the "I know better" sort. Connery makes an interesting point above. Men generally are much more offensive at it than women, I think.

The advice above of consider and ignore the source makes sense to me.

Last edited:

Drivel. The word is drivel.

Drivel Synonyms, Drivel Antonyms | Thesaurus.com

Sorry, I am just sitting here giggling because I didn't even know I could haul out the virtual thesaurus to back my assertion.

Have you had anybody tell you yet that no, it really is dribble? They meant to say dribble.

Yup.

But why should they be allowed to behave like boors in this forum when they wouldn't dare to do it in real life? There is no excuse for bad behavior in my opinion. Yes, their rudeness is a reflection of why they are as people but if we don't tolerate it then they will go elsewhere for their "jollies" and good riddance.

Forum List

Back