Cable TV was around in 1973???

fbj

Gold Member
Jul 10, 2014
I was watching a episode of Sanford and Son from the 1972-73 TV season and Fred was telling Lamont he wants Cable TV which shocked the hell out of me. I didn't even hear of cable until 1987 and always wondered what ESN stood for inside the TV Guide which was ESPN.

I didn't get cable until 1988

I was watching a episode of Sanford and Son from the 1972-73 TV season and Fred was telling Lamont he wants Cable TV which shocked the hell out of me. I didn't even hear of cable until 1987 and always wondered what ESN stood for inside the TV Guide which was ESPN.

There is no way you could possibly remember 1887 or 88....... Heck you probably couldn't remember your name if you didn't have it on a patch on your shirt.......

There is no way you could possibly remember 1887 or 88....... Heck you probably couldn't remember your name if you didn't have it on a patch on your shirt.......
Lol!

What we now call "Cable TV" goes back to the late 1940s when it was called "CATV".

That meant "Community Antenna TeleVision". It started when, in several places across America, groups of neighbors banded together to erect antennae on high ground and distribute the available signals to individual homes.

It was not long before corporations were formed to buy up CATV systems which extended their "reach" for signals by using microwave hops from places further away. It took longer for non-broadcast entities to develop.

I recall attending a CATV convention in Boston in 1960 at which time I recall checking out microwave systems but do not recall there being any content providers exhibiting.

Yes, I've been engaged in commercial (as opposed to socialized "public") broadcast since 1959 though involved as a hobbyist for about 5 years prior.

Thanks to daws for the link - apparently that post went up while I was checking dates for this one.

Wait till he hears about radial tires or 8 trac's.

Liberals invented those.

Why the fuck you got to be so disrespectful?

I don't know darling if cable was around in 1973, I wasn't born until 1990.

Why the fuck you got to be so disrespectful?

Dish does that to a person.

Then that means you shouldn;t have replied. This is a older folks discussion

I had a sliding channel selector..But you had to get off your azz to change the channel..

Oh sorry, okay carry on :smoke:

8 track

Ok Lucy Poo

Ok Lucy Poo

It always sucks being the baby of a bunch :crybaby::eusa_doh::itsok::smoke:

Forum List

Back