Cable TV was around in 1973???

OK, Dark, who was "Madman Muntz"?
The first time I heard that name in decades. I had a Muntz radio and I think he made TV's as well.
He didn't make them he paid to have his name on them.
NO, according to the bio I just read he WAS the inventor of the four track. And often took designs and made them simpler. He built his own cars after leaving K/F and they sold for three years.

An overhead valve V-8 with about 331 displacement and dual carbs. One of the race cars HE built took second at Indy. Currently there is a Muntz Jet Convertible up for auction and the starting bid is 85K.

Just a quick glance mind you.
Nothing about radio or tv.
Building or modifying cars is irrelevant.

The first time I heard that name in decades. I had a Muntz radio and I think he made TV's as well.
NO, according to the bio I just read he WAS the inventor of the four track. And often took designs and made them simpler. He built his own cars after leaving K/F and they sold for three years.

An overhead valve V-8 with about 331 displacement and dual carbs. One of the race cars HE built took second at Indy. Currently there is a Muntz Jet Convertible up for auction and the starting bid is 85K.

Car radios yes, Like I said I just quick scanned it. But then you are an idiot troll.

Car radios yes, Like I said I just quick scanned it. But then you are an idiot troll.
Modification is not invention.

If real cable was around in the 60's Gunsmoke would have been cancelled

Gunsmoke was pretty well written. Much better than many of the other westerns of the day

Cable was around in the 60s. But the networks didn't decide which shows were cancelled based solely on what the minority of viewers (cable) watched. It would be years before cable was a serious force in entertainment.

Gunsmoke was pretty well written. Much better than many of the other westerns of the day

That's all the public had during that time and had no choice but to like it
Think it's time you sniff something again, or go get into another confrontation with a dumb bitch somewhere.

"Robert J. Tarlton built the first widely publicized commercial cable television system in the United States.

In 1950, he organized a group of fellow television set retailers in Lansford, PN to offer television signals from Philadelphia broadcast stations to homes in Lansford for a fee. The system was featured in stories in the New York Times, Newsweek and The Wall Street Journal. The publicity of this successful early system set off a wave of cable system construction throughout the United States."

The Cable Center - Robert Tarlton

I was watching a episode of Sanford and Son from the 1972-73 TV season and Fred was telling Lamont he wants Cable TV which shocked the hell out of me. I didn't even hear of cable until 1987 and always wondered what ESN stood for inside the TV Guide which was ESPN.

I didn't get cable until 1988

in 1978 rodger waters said he had thirteen channels of shit to choose from on the tv

that was a big deal in those times

--LOL

That's all the public had during that time and had no choice but to like it
Think it's time you sniff something again, or go get into another confrontation with a dumb bitch somewhere.

Blastoff mutherfucker

Back in my day it was

The National Broadcasting Company

The Columbia Broadcasting System

The Dumont Television Network.

The ashes of Dumont reconverged as The American Broadcasting Company.

Notice all the "major" networks reduced themselves to acronyms as political correctness took wing?
Especially the former American................

Yep...but don't forget the UHF channels!

There was an initial run at UHF in the 1950s but it failed and went near dormant for a long, long time.

In fact, the FCC deleted a slew of the lower UHF channels and gave the spectrum over to other purposes.

There were technical issues in that to reach more than a few square miles far higher transmitter power was required - not easily available and very spendy. UHF also required a different receiving antenna than the common VHF channels and, frequently, the transmitters were located other than adjacent to VHF transmit sites so those special antennas had to be aimed differently.

Those didn't help but programming drove more nails. Old movies and ancient monochrome reruns didn't float many boats and roller derby wasn't destined to become as popular as football.

One of the first UHFs to become marginally profitable was Channel 38 in Boston - but it badly fumbled the first attempt - anybody remember hot it delayed its own success and what programming had the potential to make change come early?

It would require a somewhat longer post than usual so I won't go there unless somebody wants it.

(yes, skeptics, I've been mixed up in broadcast since 1958 or 59 - I forget which!).

There was an initial run at UHF in the 1950s but it failed and went near dormant for a long, long time.

In fact, the FCC deleted a slew of the lower UHF channels and gave the spectrum over to other purposes.

There were technical issues in that to reach more than a few square miles far higher transmitter power was required - not easily available and very spendy. UHF also required a different receiving antenna than the common VHF channels and, frequently, the transmitters were located other than adjacent to VHF transmit sites so those special antennas had to be aimed differently.

Those didn't help but programming drove more nails. Old movies and ancient monochrome reruns didn't float many boats and roller derby wasn't destined to become as popular as football.

One of the first UHFs to become marginally profitable was Channel 38 in Boston - but it badly fumbled the first attempt - anybody remember hot it delayed its own success and what programming had the potential to make change come early?

It would require a somewhat longer post than usual so I won't go there unless somebody wants it.

(yes, skeptics, I've been mixed up in broadcast since 1958 or 59 - I forget which!).

A pretty successful one here was Channel 41 out of Louisville, so much so they were added to cable for years and was purchased by Fox at some point - they are now WDRB Fox 41. Interesting they still carry the "41" from half a century ago.
Haha - I forgot about the Roller Derby shows!!

I think I was about 10 years old or so when my parents got cable...so about 1975.

when i was a kid we had three channels

nbc cbs and abc

it was a hassle but we could tune in one UHF channel

when we got cable you got a box with a rotary dial

--LOL

Yep...I remember it. I also remember it was something like $8 a month. I can't believe people now pay $100 or more.

Forum List

Back