Butternut squash recipe?

buttercup

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2010
Ok, I've never cooked butternut squash before... so I figured I'd ask, what do you think is the best way to make it?

I want to try to recreate a butternut squash dish that I had one time at an amazing high-end restaurant in the wine country near Ensenada. It was basically one big slab of butternut squash, and it was sweet and savory....really flavorful and yummy. Of course they wouldn't give me the recipe, so I've been trying to find a similar recipe. If you know how to make it that way... please help me out here. :)

If it were me, I'd season to taste and fry it or saute it in a frying pan in some oil.

Maybe lightly breaded (cornmeal/flour mixture with salt, pepper, garlic or whatever.)

Black pepper burns though, so I always add it last to whatever I'm making.

There's probably way more fancy ways of making it, though. I'm a hillbilly, so...

Last edited:
I have the palette and preferences of a hillbilly, so I'm no help.

I think everything's done best in a deep fryer. ;)

But good luck to you!

Still need a funny and agree emojie!

AGREE.png
FUNNY & AGREE.png

The above was the only way I could ever eat it. Nasty slimy shit otherwise.

I used to slice some of them up and soak them in vinegar and water. Not as yummy as cukes though.

Slice in half, lengthways. Scoop out the seeds. Roast in the oven on a sheet pan at about 350º -375º (use some PAM spray on a piece of aluminum foil before placing the foil on the pan), upside down. Test after 30 minutes with a meat fork or paring knife through the skin to see how it is coming along. When it seems to be getting tender flip it over and finish until soft, this will get a little browning on the top and add some extra flavor.

Scoop it out once soft and gently mash with a fork; mash with some butter and a tiny amount of nutmeg or allspice.

If it were me, I'd season to taste and fry it or saute it in a frying pan in some oil.

Maybe lightly breaded (cornmeal/flour mixture with salt, pepper, garlic or whatever.)

Black pepper burns though, so I always add it last to whatever I'm making.

There's probably way more fancy ways of making it, though. I'm a hillbilly, so...

Hmm, that does sound like a gud and easy way of doing it. I'll keep that in mind about the pepper. :pThanks!!

Ohh, that sounds delicious. I'll take a look. Thank you!!

Slice in half, lengthways. Scoop out the seeds. Roast in the oven on a sheet pan at about 350º -375º (use some PAM spray on a piece of aluminum foil before placing the foil on the pan), upside down. Test after 30 minutes with a meat fork or paring knife through the skin to see how it is coming along. When it seems to be getting tender flip it over and finish until soft, this will get a little browning on the top and add some extra flavor.

Scoop it out once soft and gently mash with a fork; mash with some butter and a tiny amount of nutmeg or allspice.

Excellent, thanks for the step by step instructions. I kinda wanted to make it in flat slabs (as opposed to mashed) but that is good to know. Thank you. :)

And maple syrup!

Ok, I've never cooked butternut squash before... so I figured I'd ask, what do you think is the best way to make it?

I want to try to recreate a butternut squash dish that I had one time at an amazing high-end restaurant in the wine country near Ensenada. It was basically one big slab of butternut squash, and it was sweet and savory....really flavorful and yummy. Of course they wouldn't give me the recipe, so I've been trying to find a similar recipe. If you know how to make it that way... please help me out here. :)

You don't have to do anything special with those, it would only alter the flavor. Just cut them right down the middle, scrape out the seeds, and lay the cut side down in a glass baking dish with a little water in it. Bake them at 350 degrees until they're soft to touch, then put them on the table. Scrape out the insides with a spoon and put whatever you like on them: My wife puts butter and curry powder on them, I eat mine with nothing on them.

Squash is like potatoes..............versatile as hell.
You can do anything you want to it, and it will come out good!

I love squash "steaks" doused in buttermilk, dipped in cornmeal, salted, peppered, and then fried in 1/2 Canola oil and 1/2 bacon grease.

Grilling it on a George Foreman or a BBQ grill is just as freeking awesome! You can serve it with butter, seasoned butter, chuntney, or honey.

You can make squash patties out of it.
Squash casserole.
Squash Soup (pureed squash with cream, butter, and spices).

I could go on forever. It really depends on what your tastes are.

As excalibur states above, roasting in an oven is the only way. It is waay better this way.

Having said that... I make a butternut bisque that is awesome with BLTs. That is how I usually make them.

Forum List

Back