Bush 43, Obama fly AF1 together to Mandela funerall

• Banned
131211115929-01-souza-south-africa-horizontal-gallery.jpg

The real person running the show is there at least

Valerie Jarrett

how lovely we get to fly her butt all over the place

Behind the scenes with Obama, Bush at Mandela memorial - CNN.com

There is a photo montage at the website.

Feel free to discuss whether you liked the President and his immediate predecessor flying together to a funeral.

I think it was pretty cool.

They probably get along pretty well on a personal level. I would hazard to say that Obama and Bush probably get along better than Obama and Bill Clinton.

Whether people want to admit it or not, the president's club is one of the most exclusive in the world. Only 43 people (Cleveland was the 22nd and the 24th, don't forget) have occupied this office to date and I would bet that most of the time, not more than 4 or 5 were ever living at the same time.

When Nixon took office in 1969, Truman, Ike and LBJ were still alive. All three died during his term. Between January 22nd, 1973 and August 9th 1974, there were no living former-presidents.

When Ford assumed the duties of the Presidency upon the resignation of Nixon, Nixon was the only living former-president at that time.

When Carter took office, Nixon and Ford were still alive.

When Reagan took office, Nixon, Ford and Carter were still alive.

When Bush 41 took office, Nixon, Ford, Carter and Reagan were still alive.

When Clinton took office, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan and Bush 41 were still alive. Nixon died in 1994.

When Bush 43 took office, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush 41 and Clinton were still alive. Reagan and Ford both died during his term of office.

When Obama took office, Carter, Bush 41, Clinton and Bush 43 were and are still alive. Jimmy Carter has now set the record for being the President to live the longest after having left office.

Surely, regardless of political differences, there is a sort of comraderie that exists among presidents and former-presidents, because only those people can really know the weight of the job, for they have experienced it personally. As for Barack and Bill, I bet they get along better than people realize.

When presidents and ex-presidents, especially from opposing parties, undertake something together, they usually believe they are doing it for the good of the nation.

When JFK was murdered, Eisenhower broke his silence since having left office and he spoke to comfort the nation on the same day as did LBJ.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back