Burning American Flag....

What Are Your Thoughts On Burning the American Flag?

• Unacceptable

Votes: 30 43.5%
  • Acceptable as a form of Freedom of Speech (Expression)

Votes: 39 56.5%

• Total voters
1. A lot of word salad trying

--- which definition I've already posted supporting my usage, so you're welcome. Now take your own advice.

4. Try again, with less spin and more data.
Coming right up.

The Cliff's notes on fetishism/idolatry:
-- When we put our thinking caps on, sit down, ruminate and write down and "we the people" declare that "all men are created equal" and "the state shall not infringe the right of free expression" we're doing what's sometimes called "God's work", or more correctly the work of We the People. And that's outstanding, commendable and worthy of patriotism.

.... When we then degrade to having hissyfits over "oh dear, don't let the flag touch the ground" and "oh no, it has to be folded just so" -- we are flat-out blasted off into the world of Kinky. It's bad enough to mire ourselves in the quicksand of idolatry values, but when that starts translating into government enforcement, we have a problem. A big one, an authoritarian one, and one that directly contradicts our own stated principles.

That a thug like Where_R_My_Cojones would willingly enforce that Kinky at the end of a truncheon is the beginning of that problem. Here's where it leads when government takes it on -- Earnest Starr.
More here.

Mob mentality. Hence the reference to Nazism. Does the parallel shock you? Good. It's there to make an impression.

--- which definition I've already posted supporting my usage, so you're welcome. Now take your own advice.

Coming right up.

-- When we put our thinking caps on, sit down, ruminate and write down and "we the people" declare that "all men are created equal" and "the state shall not infringe the right of free expression" we're doing what's sometimes called "God's work", or more correctly the work of We the People. And that's outstanding, commendable and worthy of patriotism.

.... When we then degrade to having hissyfits over "oh dear, don't let the flag touch the ground" and "oh no, it has to be folded just so" -- we are flat-out blasted off into the world of Kinky. It's bad enough to mire ourselves in the quicksand of idolatry values, but when that starts translating into government enforcement, we have a problem. A big one, an authoritarian one, and one that directly contradicts our own stated principles.

That a thug like Where_R_My_Cojones would willingly enforce that Kinky at the end of a truncheon is the beginning of that problem. Here's where it leads when government takes it on -- Earnest Starr.
More here.

Mob mentality. Hence the reference to Nazism. Does the parallel shock you? Good. It's there to make an impression.

try again POGO-------you got a citation supporting your contention that allowing
the flag to touch the ground is a capital crime? or if it does not end up a perfect triangle on folding------20 years in jail? Ceremonies involve ceremonies-----dragging the flag in the mud during a parade is GAUCHE-----that little triangle----
is nice for ceremonial purposes like funerals. Burning an American flag
as a DEMONSTRATION of your personal hatred------marks you a traitor

It's a shitty thing to do, but it is constitutionally protected.

Hillary likes to wrap herself in the flag - so that might be a good time to set it alight,

it should not be "LEGAL" to publically set a US flag on fire-------it can incite and
it is a waste of energy-----and matches, and a fire hazard In the town in which
I grew up ------people could get cited for burning the leaves they raked up in their backyards

Coming right up.

More here.

cliff's notes? your bookshelves hold rows of those silly CLIFF NOTE books----
and you are not EmBARASSED?

Coming right up.

More here.

1. No it doesn't.

2. Fetishism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"A fetish (derived from the Frenchfétiche; which comes from the Portuguesefeitiço; and this in turn fromLatinfacticius, "artificial" and facere, "to make") is an object believed to have supernatural powers, or in particular, a man-made object that has power over others. Essentially, fetishism is the emic attribution of inherent value or powers to an object"

no one here is claiming anything like that. We patriots on this are well away that the Flag is only a symbol, not a magical artifact.

Do you have another definition you would like to use?

unacceptable or acceptable as "freedom of speech"?

The supreme court has ruled that burning the American flag is freedom of speech.

If you believe that burning one is wrong then don't burn one.

However if you believe you have the right to tell someone else they can't burn one then you're violating the constitution and someone's civil rights.

Which further shows that certain people don't believe in freedom or our constitution.

unacceptable or acceptable as "freedom of speech"?

The supreme court has ruled that burning the American flag is freedom of speech.

If you believe that burning one is wrong then don't burn one.

However if you believe you have the right to tell someone else they can't burn one then you're violating the constitution and someone's civil rights.

Which further shows that certain people don't believe in freedom or our constitution.

I HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO SAY--------I DO NOT LIKE THAT YOU BURNED THE
AMERICAN FLAG-----YOU NUT...............

Coming right up.

More here.

Actually I have zero actual physical "Cliff's Notes" books. It's called metaphor. It's a signal that I'm about to be concise.

Know what's cool? Learning how English works.

Coming right up.

More here.

try again POGO-------you got a citation supporting your contention that allowing
the flag to touch the ground is a capital crime? or if it does not end up a perfect triangle on folding------20 years in jail? Ceremonies involve ceremonies-----dragging the flag in the mud during a parade is GAUCHE-----that little triangle----

Try reading the links in there before you embarrass yourself further.

Coming right up.

More here.

1. No it doesn't.

2. Fetishism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"A fetish (derived from the Frenchfétiche; which comes from the Portuguesefeitiço; and this in turn fromLatinfacticius, "artificial" and facere, "to make") is an object believed to have supernatural powers, or in particular, a man-made object that has power over others. Essentially, fetishism is the emic attribution of inherent value or powers to an object"

no one here is claiming anything like that. We patriots on this are well away that the Flag is only a symbol, not a magical artifact.

Do you have another definition you would like to use?

Sure, I already did: Idolatry

I happen to like fetish because it sounds kinkier. And that's the whole point.

And for that matter, from Merriam-Webster:

Full Definition of FETISH
a : an object (as a small stone carving of an animal) believed to have magical power to protect or aid its owner; broadly : a material object regarded with superstitious or extravagant trust or reverence

b : an object of irrational reverence or obsessive devotion : prepossession

c : an object or bodily part whose real or fantasied presence is psychologically necessary for sexual gratification and that is an object of fixation to the extent that it may interfere with complete sexual expression
: a rite or cult of fetish worshipers​

You'll notice that 1 (a) and (b) directly apply to the flag as I have described it, while (c) carries the kinky baggage. You might say (a) and (b) are the lyrics, (c) the music.

Last edited:

Coming right up.

More here.

Actually I have zero actual physical "Cliff's Notes" books. It's called metaphor. It's a signal that I'm about to be concise.

Know what's cool? Learning how English works.

Coming right up.

More here.

Try reading the links in there before you embarrass yourself further.
'
silly cliff's notes come with footnotes. One of my brother's hated to read
novels-------so I have seen a few copies of those dreadful cheat sheets

You know, I spent over 20 years of my adult life in the service of the U.S. Navy. One of the reasons I joined was because I love this country and want to defend it. Another reason was 3 hots and a cot with a chance to travel all over the world.

Wanting to defend this country means I defend the rights of all of it's citizens, even if I do not agree with them. If you want to burn a flag as a freedom of expression, then so be it, you have the right to do so, because I, as well as many others, have defended those rights for over 200 years.

However....................I also have the right of free speech, and if your idiot ass chooses to burn a flag in front of me as a demonstration of free speech, then I will exercise my right of free speech to tell you what I thought of your speech.

PS-------when he burns the American flag-----do I get to burn a koran?
Careful there. You might offend someone saying that.....................Burning the Koran would hurt the feelings of the Muslims..............so just burn the Bible.........as they say that's ok.................

The ones usually defending this shit, are the same ones who fly off the handle when someone burns the Koran........never done it...........but for this thread it serves it's purpose.

Careful there. You might offend someone saying that.....................Burning the Koran would hurt the feelings of the Muslims..............so just burn the Bible.........as they say that's ok.................

The ones usually defending this shit, are the same ones who fly off the handle when someone burns the Koran........never done it...........but for this thread it serves it's purpose.

you want one-------I have lots-----there are loads and loads of korans floating around---
muslims imagine that if they hand them out-----people will become inspired to
worship the pig of mecca. I had a much HIGHER opinion of islam before I
read that book than after

you want one-------I have lots-----there are loads and loads of korans floating around---
Never had one............does it make good fire starter paper for the Fire Place? Or does it stink up the house?

Never had one............does it make good fire starter paper for the Fire Place? Or does it stink up the house?

I have several different versions and they are made of slightly different materials-----
the good news is no COLORED INK-----burning pages with colored ink is not a
good idea for home use------it might give of toxic fumes. I would not try to use plastic covers in the fireplace-----some of them are simply ---that which appears to be fiber or wood pulp paper------just tear the pages out and them-----but not the book covers. If you do not do so already-----take a look at book dumps-----where 'people are encouraged to toss old unwanted books------and there is always a sign---- "take any book you want"-------there are always a bunch of korans in such places

You know, I spent over 20 years of my adult life in the service of the U.S. Navy. One of the reasons I joined was because I love this country and want to defend it. Another reason was 3 hots and a cot with a chance to travel all over the world.

Wanting to defend this country means I defend the rights of all of it's citizens, even if I do not agree with them. If you want to burn a flag as a freedom of expression, then so be it, you have the right to do so, because I, as well as many others, have defended those rights for over 200 years.

However....................I also have the right of free speech, and if your idiot ass chooses to burn a flag in front of me as a demonstration of free speech, then I will exercise my right of free speech to tell you what I thought of your speech.

Super... here's a clue: There is no right to threaten others and burning the American Flag informs Americans of one's intent to destroy their nation.

Fuck them... and fuck YOU if you intend to defend them.

I have several different versions and they are made of slightly different materials-----
the good news is no COLORED INK-----burning pages with colored ink is not a
good idea for home use------it might give of toxic fumes. I would not try to use plastic covers in the fireplace-----some of them are simply ---that which appears to be fiber or wood pulp paper------just tear the pages out and them-----but not the book covers. If you do not do so already-----take a look at book dumps-----where 'people are encouraged to toss old unwanted books------and there is always a sign---- "take any book you want"-------there are always a bunch of korans in such places

And they're made in China, so who knows what else is in those toxic fumes.

But that's a valid approach -- you don't want people burning the flag, make it toxic, bad-smelling, explosive or whatever.

Of course once you do that the protester simply shifts to stomping or rending the piece of cloth, so.... :dunno:

Of course there is another approach: just get over it. Presuming the purpose of flag burning is to make a public point, every time a thug like Where_R_My_Cojones stomps the flag burner --- he's giving them what they want: attention.

Not sure why some don't get that.

Forum List

Back