Bull Ring Question

Reading CK's vision of the Bull Ring, he said the Call Out thread was to be in the Bull Ring Call Outs section and then when the invitation was accepted, a new thread should be started in the Bull Ring forum. CK thought the Call Out thread/invitation was where nonparticipants could comment on the debate once the formal thread was started.

That's all correct.. Not simple, but it was the design of that feature.. In ADDITION, It's good to make a "call-out" thread that identifies the "contestants" and/or the topic so that a peanut gallery can properly comment IN THERE and not the match thread...

So I referred someone to it who hadn't been invited into the Bull Ring and now--poof--that Call Out/Invitation thread is gone and the only one left is the actual debate thread in the Bull Ring.

Does that mean there shouldn't be two separate threads any more? (Fine with me--it was pretty confusing.) Just wondering what happened. Maybe someday when you're bored, the mods could update the Bull Ring rules a bit. As if people read them, anyway.

I was just there a couple days ago.. The listing is a bit confusing.. The Bull Ring is the MAIN forum there. The "call-outs and discussion forum" is a SUB forum to that.. If you look at the top of the bull ring page -- you'll see the link to the sub forum...
I know. I went there over and over, and the thread was gone. If you can find the "Invitation to an Informal Discussion on Racism" thread I'll make you a donut. It WAS there, because I went to it and made the link and gave it to an uninvited poster who had stepped into the Bull Ring thread, but then, when I checked back a couple hours later, in the Call Outs Subforum, it was gone.

That's why I wondered. But short of disappearing threads, it's good to know that's still how it should be done.

I'll go look.. COULD have been trashed because Zone2 rules are STILL in effect there..

I'll see if I can track it down...

THIS ONE is in Bull Ring "CALL-OUTS" subforum
Closed by request from Maryam....

THIS one is the ACTUAL bullring thread... Can't tell them apart and the INVITES alerts are in the "Call-outs" subforum. So the debate got hosed with spectators...

Seems the issue was the INVITEES were "paged" to the Call-out thread instead of the actual Bull Ring... No wonder it got folks confused... Can barely tell which thread WAS the intended Bull Ring convo...

When creating the BR call-out thread -- make it a simple announcement of the TOPIC... Just name the 2 people and THEY decide on terms and the topic in THERE.. And then the folks GO to the Bull Ring and have it out.. While the SPECTATORS are supposed to stay in the sub forum..

We Don't allow "Invite Only" Bullring threads anyways... Strictly 2 people setting it up and doing the match-up. Because these are supposed to ONE on ONE debates.. Not team efforts... I've explained all this to Maryam...

We DO HAVE an "Invite Only" option in the Structured Debate forum.. I intend to start using it and try to get more "limited" discussions in there. And there is no "peanut gallery" subforum for the critics or the locked out in Invite Only threads.... I really think that's a simpler solution to having "group" convos...

Reading CK's vision of the Bull Ring, he said the Call Out thread was to be in the Bull Ring Call Outs section and then when the invitation was accepted, a new thread should be started in the Bull Ring forum. CK thought the Call Out thread/invitation was where nonparticipants could comment on the debate once the formal thread was started.

That's all correct.. Not simple, but it was the design of that feature.. In ADDITION, It's good to make a "call-out" thread that identifies the "contestants" and/or the topic so that a peanut gallery can properly comment IN THERE and not the match thread...

So I referred someone to it who hadn't been invited into the Bull Ring and now--poof--that Call Out/Invitation thread is gone and the only one left is the actual debate thread in the Bull Ring.

Does that mean there shouldn't be two separate threads any more? (Fine with me--it was pretty confusing.) Just wondering what happened. Maybe someday when you're bored, the mods could update the Bull Ring rules a bit. As if people read them, anyway.

I was just there a couple days ago.. The listing is a bit confusing.. The Bull Ring is the MAIN forum there. The "call-outs and discussion forum" is a SUB forum to that.. If you look at the top of the bull ring page -- you'll see the link to the sub forum...
I know. I went there over and over, and the thread was gone. If you can find the "Invitation to an Informal Discussion on Racism" thread I'll make you a donut. It WAS there, because I went to it and made the link and gave it to an uninvited poster who had stepped into the Bull Ring thread, but then, when I checked back a couple hours later, in the Call Outs Subforum, it was gone.

That's why I wondered. But short of disappearing threads, it's good to know that's still how it should be done.

I'll go look.. COULD have been trashed because Zone2 rules are STILL in effect there..

I'll see if I can track it down...

THIS ONE is in Bull Ring "CALL-OUTS" subforum
Closed by request from Maryam....

THIS one is the ACTUAL bullring thread... Can't tell them apart and the INVITES alerts are in the "Call-outs" subforum. So the debate got hosed with spectators...

Seems the issue was the INVITEES were "paged" to the Call-out thread instead of the actual Bull Ring... No wonder it got folks confused... Can barely tell which thread WAS the intended Bull Ring convo...

When creating the BR call-out thread -- make it a simple announcement of the TOPIC... Just name the 2 people and THEY decide on terms and the topic in THERE.. And then the folks GO to the Bull Ring and have it out.. While the SPECTATORS are supposed to stay in the sub forum..

We Don't allow "Invite Only" Bullring threads anyways... Strictly 2 people setting it up and doing the match-up. Because these are supposed to ONE on ONE debates.. Not team efforts... I've explained all this to Maryam...

We DO HAVE an "Invite Only" option in the Structured Debate forum.. I intend to start using it and try to get more "limited" discussions in there. And there is no "peanut gallery" subforum for the critics or the locked out in Invite Only threads.... I really think that's a simpler solution to having "group" convos...
Good to know.

Forum List

Back