Bug Out Bag

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
I'm putting together a bug out, emergency bag just in case of a natural disaster especially after watching the fire that tore through Boulder County recently. I have a three day 40L molle assault bag with compartment for a hydration bag, I have a 3 liter one. This will be primarily for getting to a disaster center not for survival out in a forest or desert. I've already done a personal physical assessment and in a real SHTF scenario I'm most likely dead so it would be a stay in place bag.
Priority
1: Water
2: Warmth and light shelter (multi use poncho works best), emergency (mylar) blankets.
3: Food, high energy bars are light and take up little space.
4: Fire, I have a ferro rod and waterproof matches.
5: Self defense weapon(s)
6: Personal hygiene including at least 3 days worth of medications, a weeks worth would be better.
7: Clothing
8: First aid kit, I also have a compact trauma kit.
9: Multi functional tools (Leatherman, Swiss Army knife, etc).
10: Vital documents These can be on a flash drive and/or have hard copies.

Another potential addition if one thinks it's practical for whatever situation is a portable solar charging unit for your cell phone. Out here in the high desert getting lots of sun isn't a problem, the only problem is if the natural disaster takes out the local cell towers then it's another 1.25 pounds to carry that might have no benefit at all.

Another potential addition if one thinks it's practical for whatever situation is a portable solar charging unit for your cell phone. Out here in the high desert getting lots of sun isn't a problem, the only problem is if the natural disaster takes out the local cell towers then it's another 1.25 pounds to carry that might have no benefit at all.
You can still use a radio if the cell towers are out of service.

Hand crank radio. Flashlight. Spare batteries for it. Jewelry of sterling or gold to trade or sell if things get worse. Cash may be worthless then.

Back in the old days they used to sew gemstones inside a hem. For women..a skirt...for men a jacket. Back in the 70's I used to carry spare joints and downers (reds) in the inside cavity of my boots. So..use yer imagination of a good stash spot for gold and silver. DON'T wear it. No advertising, lol.

BTW..they have hand crank radios and solar radios...with ports for charging your phone.

Also...some packets of those military issue meals. They may taste nasty but you will need sustanence.
One more thing...I've been thinking on purchasing one...is those fresh water straws. Any yukky pond or pool of water gets filtered thru the "straw" and no boiling needed. Small enough for a pocket, too.

I'm putting together a bug out, emergency bag just in case of a natural disaster especially after watching the fire that tore through Boulder County recently. I have a three day 40L molle assault bag with compartment for a hydration bag, I have a 3 liter one. This will be primarily for getting to a disaster center not for survival out in a forest or desert. I've already done a personal physical assessment and in a real SHTF scenario I'm most likely dead so it would be a stay in place bag.
Priority
2: Warmth and light shelter (multi use poncho works best), emergency (mylar) blankets.
6: Personal hygiene including at least 3 days worth of medications, a weeks worth would be better.
Always better to have something and never need it than needing and not having it

Hand crank radio. Flashlight. Spare batteries for it. Jewelry of sterling or gold to trade or sell if things get worse. Cash may be worthless then.

Back in the old days they used to sew gemstones inside a hem. For women..a skirt...for men a jacket. Back in the 70's I used to carry spare joints and downers (reds) in the inside cavity of my boots. So..use yer imagination of a good stash spot for gold and silver. DON'T wear it. No advertising, lol.

BTW..they have hand crank radios and solar radios...with ports for charging your phone.
I just found these, gold and silver bars that allow you to snap off a gram at a time.
1642328521168.png

Priority
We live in Florida and have to worry about hurricanes---we were thinking a small RV---that could work in a number of emergency scenerios.

You can wear the same clothes, with some basic hygiene procedures, for weeks. A first aid kit with enough gear to be useful is probably too heavy to carry. A crank radio, batteries, high power flashlights, all are very heavy when you have to carry them.

Swap all that weight for as much water as you can comfortably carry at a run ... you will run out of water before you run out of anything else.

Solar is only 0.75-lbs plus Smart Phones are more useful than just calling for help. They can store many Survival manuals, Medical / Surgery books, How to guides, Edible & Medical Plant Identification. They have Apps for Compass, GPS, Maps, Inclination, Protractor, Altitude, Weather, Flashlight, Reflective Glass Screen Surface for Flashing Signals with Sunlight, Strobe Light & Noise to Signal & Scare Away Predictors, Strobe SOS & Morris code signaling & detecting, Heart Rate & Glucose Monitor, Pill Reminder, Inventory & Shopping List, Calculator, Calendar, Diary, Last Will, Banking, Identification, Allergy, Medication lists, etc.

Last edited:
Food, water and something to defend yourself with. The rest is optional. Maybe some hidden caches is strategic locations. There's probably lots of places you could bury stuff.

Guess I have to repeat/clarify this. I live in a city, most likely scenario is I put my bug out bag in my truck and head to an evacuation zone, no caches. Having to hoof it any distance and I might as well stay in place and hope for rescue. Again, in a truly SHTF scenario I'm basically dead so I shelter in place until that happens or a miracle occurs and I'm rescued by people not trying to kill me and take all my stuff.

You can wear the same clothes, with some basic hygiene procedures, for weeks. A first aid kit with enough gear to be useful is probably too heavy to carry. A crank radio, batteries, high power flashlights, all are very heavy when you have to carry them.

Swap all that weight for as much water as you can comfortably carry at a run ... you will run out of water before you run out of anything else.
My crank radio weighs 12 oz. and has other functions.

DSCF5130.JPG

Forum List

Back