Bug Out Bag

Yup, best case scenario is 70% death rate in 6 months to 1 year.

If the death rate reaches 90% ... the USA will turn into Australia ...

ozgetaround001.jpg

Guess I have to repeat/clarify this. I live in a city, most likely scenario is I put my bug out bag in my truck and head to an evacuation zone, no caches. Having to hoof it any distance and I might as well stay in place and hope for rescue. Again, in a truly SHTF scenario I'm basically dead so I shelter in place until that happens or a miracle occurs and I'm rescued by people not trying to kill me and take all my stuff.
I keep a shit ton of food and supplies in my house. Our toilet paper lasted all the way through the pandemic, and I was even able to give some away to my lesser prepared friends. :lol:

Silver is better than gold, easier to break into smaller amounts, gold would be useful for big ticket items. Don't underestimate other peoples appetite for precious metals (no pun intended)
In a really bad end of the world scenario you might find salt is EXTREMELY valuable.

Less important than what you pack in your BOB is ... get the HELL out of Chicago ... I'm thinking the gated communities of the Boca Raton would be great ... great weather, and lots of unprepared rich people to harvest.

Yes, pepper, too. I have stocked up on both even though I don't like pepper. It makes for good trading material.

Pepper become such a valuable trade commodity (at one time worth more than gold by weight) because it disguises the taste of bad meat -- something that will be quite handy when refrigeration ceases to be available.

Unlike salt that can be made in any coastal town, pepper only grows well in certain places and is hard to grow in quantity outside of those areas.

I'm putting together a bug out, emergency bag just in case of a natural disaster especially after watching the fire that tore through Boulder County recently. I have a three day 40L molle assault bag with compartment for a hydration bag, I have a 3 liter one. This will be primarily for getting to a disaster center not for survival out in a forest or desert. I've already done a personal physical assessment and in a real SHTF scenario I'm most likely dead so it would be a stay in place bag.
Priority
1: Water
2: Warmth and light shelter (multi use poncho works best), emergency (mylar) blankets.
3: Food, high energy bars are light and take up little space.
4: Fire, I have a ferro rod and waterproof matches.
5: Self defense weapon(s)
6: Personal hygiene including at least 3 days worth of medications, a weeks worth would be better.
7: Clothing
8: First aid kit, I also have a compact trauma kit.
9: Multi functional tools (Leatherman, Swiss Army knife, etc).
10: Vital documents These can be on a flash drive and/or have hard copies.
David Paulides recommends getting a Personal Locator Beacon. You press the button and it will send your GPS location to search and rescue teams. And he says to make sure you tell someone where you are going (and when you will be back).

Yup! - Harvest time usually only comes once a year, unless you have a large greenhouse & lots of resources to alter heat, light, moisture & fertilizer.

Around here if you aren't on top of it all you're going to do is grow a lot of healthy bugs and birds.

Doing it right.

That's where Larry Hall comes in, a 64-year-old ex-government contractor who has begun converting abandoned missile silos into a series of luxury inverted skyscrapers to allow the rich and powerful to kick back and ride out the apocalypse in style. You can take a tour of his original doomsday condo below:

David Paulides recommends getting a Personal Locator Beacon. You press the button and it will send your GPS location to search and rescue teams. And he says to make sure you tell someone where you are going (and when you will be back).
Tell ya what, you send me the money and I'll buy it...........

Around here if you aren't on top of it all you're going to do is grow a lot of healthy bugs and birds.
Yup & you would need to eat those bugs & birds just to get some B12. - In a SHTF situation great care must be taken to prevent crop failure that will cause you to starve. A well experienced Gardner will need 600sqft greenhouse space & 800sqft of outdoor garden to grow enough calories per person / per year.

You will also need to feed some livestock to get a little meat for B12. That will require shelving to layer greenhouse & larger garden to increase production.

OP. Space blanket are small and handy, not just personal warm but wrap stuff.

Me. Never worried. I'm not bugging out anywhere. Where? Fema camp? Fema camp renamed by libs to sound better? Nahhh I'll just stay put. Mile to a few neighbors and they are just like me.

OP. Space blanket are small and handy, not just personal warm but wrap stuff.

Me. Never worried. I'm not bugging out anywhere. Where? Fema camp? Fema camp renamed by libs to sound better? Nahhh I'll just stay put. Mile to a few neighbors and they are just like me.

One of the pluses of living out in the boonies.

Forum List

Back