Budgeting weekly meals

I go through a lot of eggs, tortillas, beans. I buy cake mixes 10 at a time when they're on sale to accommodate sweet tooths and school lunches. Potatos, beans, homemade bread and biscuits. The kids love carrots...I canned about 30 lbs of carrots last summer and those stupid things saved us this winter lol. We had some kinda weird meals but they always had a big pile of carrots, and they always ate them! So I felt pretty good about that. They also like beans so we have beans pretty frequently. I can those too though I'm out of canned ones right now. I get frozen pizzas for the boy...so that if he wants munchies or unexpectedly has someone over we're covered.

I don't have the tools to can... But that is something I want to learn. I have a small garden this summer ... But I want to do a bigger one next year.

It's amazing what difference a little motivation makes. Fear of running out of food is a serious motivator. I work and don't get food stamps....a three person family is eligible for up to 511 snap allowance per month....more than twice my budget. And that is wrong. If I can feed my kids on less than 300 a month, why the hell can't they? Answer...they can.

And Libs think they need even more money. Crazy.
And they belittle US and call US trash, when we support ourselves.

Yep. Like I told JoeB...

I made12.00 too much a month and was denied when I applied for SNAP after my divorce.

I learned real quick how to live off 200.00 / 250.00 a month.

I now make a better salary... but I still keep my budget low. And keep my freezer and pantry stocked.

Good Habit to get into.

Hell... Half the time I feed two of the neighbors kids when their dad doesn't have food in the house for them to eat.
I feed other kids sometimes too. And sometimes extra ppl over weekends.

I go through a lot of eggs, tortillas, beans. I buy cake mixes 10 at a time when they're on sale to accommodate sweet tooths and school lunches. Potatos, beans, homemade bread and biscuits. The kids love carrots...I canned about 30 lbs of carrots last summer and those stupid things saved us this winter lol. We had some kinda weird meals but they always had a big pile of carrots, and they always ate them! So I felt pretty good about that. They also like beans so we have beans pretty frequently. I can those too though I'm out of canned ones right now. I get frozen pizzas for the boy...so that if he wants munchies or unexpectedly has someone over we're covered.

I don't have the tools to can... But that is something I want to learn. I have a small garden this summer ... But I want to do a bigger one next year.

wow you have a small garden?

so cool

because GM cause cancer....

It's pretty labor intensive but the return is great. I've canned beans, meat, applesauce, peaches, tomatoes...and potatoes but I'm not doing potatoes anymore, I don't like them.

it's a little more expensive if you eat healthy ...like no GM ...and no take aways and stuff....but its so much worth!
Cheaper if you make cakes from scratch and pies...i think ill make a blackbery pie tomorrow..

You can freeze also.I was freezing green beans today, squash coated in corn meal to morrow.I used to can but, it can be a pain in the ass...

so cool

Seeds can be GM also. I make sure to buy from the feed store, so I know what I is gettin'...

so cool

Seeds can be GM also. I make sure to buy from the feed store, so I know what I is gettin'...

Exactly Moonglow!~ :thup:

it's a little more expensive if you eat healthy ...like no GM ...and no take aways and stuff....but its so much worth!
Cheaper if you make cakes from scratch and pies...i think ill make a blackbery pie tomorrow..

You can freeze also.I was freezing green beans today, squash coated in corn meal to morrow.I used to can but, it can be a pain in the ass...

Blanch first or no?

I do not eat corn cob or corn anymore...I love it but...I know its all genetically modified ..so I pass it

GM causes cancer ....it has been proven :(

I do roast and peal my own green chili and freeze that though.

Blanch first or no?
I don't....

My chili peppers and jalapenos did not do well this year, we had a late summer cause of all the rain and cool weather...Tomorrow I get to pick my first large tomato, it's that far behind, black berries couldn't be pick till after 4th of July, normally they are all gone before the 4th..

My chili peppers and jalapenos did not do well this year, we had a late summer cause of all the rain and cool weather...

Same here. But three of my tomato plants are huge. Go figure.

If people grow their own here its all good!

because you know it's all healthy

it's only when the Monsanto aka MonSatan comes along that things get bad

you have to demand to know what food is GM and what is not

my two cents!

my two cents!
The farmers around here refused to use it, and they refused to report to the USDA for tagging over mad cow disease....

my two cents!
The farmers around here refused to use it, and they refused to report to the USDA for tagging over mad cow disease....

what you mean Moonglow? can you explain please?

The farmers have also changed their herds out, black Angus is out and red Herefords are back in, means cheaper meat prices...

my two cents!

what you mean Moonglow? can you explain please?
Congress passed a rule that any cattle on your place has to be tagged and reported to the USDA for tracking to see if they could find the source of any cases of mad cow disease...The whole thing started cause Don Tyson, of Tyson foods became the largest producer of cattle in Canada and the US, to help cut cost, he was feeding cattle, ground up cattle that died or was unfit for butchering, thus giving them a disease from cannibalism...

Forum List

Back