Brit diplomat marries gay American in China

Sep 14, 2011
Brit diplomat Brian Davidson marries Scott Chang at UK ambassador s Bejing residence Mail Online
A gay wedding at the British ambassador's residence in Beijing at the weekend has sparked outrage in China.

Wearing matching slippers and bow ties, Brian Davidson, 55, Britain's consul-general in Shanghai, married his 33-year-old American boyfriend Scott Chang on the lawn of the home of Ambassador Sir Sebastian Wood.

New rules mean that British nationals in homosexual relationships can marry in British consulates in 24 countries around the world as the land where the building stands is technically British soil.

However, whilst the ambassador posted a picture of himself and the couple on Sina Weibo, a Chinese equivalent of Twitter, holding a red card bearing the legend 'Keep calm and marry on', not everyone was as happy.

'That country is clearly sick. It's like the last days of Rome,' one person wrote in an online comment.

'I respect foreign gay culture. But it's not Chinese culture. Please respect that,' wrote another.

A third suggested that same-sex unions threaten family ethics and destabilise society. Some said that the two men had 'mental illness' and that their children would have 'personality issues'.

Read more: Brit diplomat Brian Davidson marries Scott Chang at UK ambassador s Bejing residence Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

1410291849312_wps_25_This_handout_photo_taken_.jpg

Congrats to the happy couple but I hope they're careful. As bad as it can be for gays in the US, it wouldn't' surprise me to hear the the crazies have killed them.

Be sure to read the comments. I love the "China can suck eggs".

Not everyone agrees with Western culture.

It isn't the West's place to tell the Chinese what to say, how to act, what to think.

Any first-year political science student understands that.

Hardly a shock that Luddly doesn't. :badgrin:

Why would the dying British empire intentionally insult the people that host their embassy with a trivial and socially offensive incident? Why not fly the two queens to the UK to perform the ceremony and avoid controversy? Why is the international homosexual left determined to shove sodomy in the world's face?

Why would the dying British empire intentionally insult the people that host their embassy with a trivial and socially offensive incident? Why not fly the two queens to the UK to perform the ceremony and avoid controversy? Why is the international homosexual left determined to shove sodomy in the world's face?

I might hafta agree with that, maybe, yeah.

But because you're an asshole who never himself thanks any fellow posters on either side of the political aisle for their thread contributions, nope. Sorry. I can't.

Actually, I take that back: nope. I'm not sorry, either.

But because you're an asshole who never himself thanks any fellow posters on either side of the political aisle for their thread contributions, nope. Sorry. I can't.

The reason they did this, this purposeful insult, is likely because of China's moves regarding Hong Kong democracy. Diplomacy works this way - subrosa insults carry a message.

Actually, I take that back: nope. I'm not sorry, either.[/QUOT

You agree with me but you can't admit it because your political bias causes you to be angry all the time. Actually I understand it.

the great wall of sharts said:

rikurzhen said:
The reason they did this, this purposeful insult, is likely because of China's moves regarding Hong Kong democracy. Diplomacy works this way - subrosa insults carry a message.

And because we owe them a whole bunch of money.

And because the Western sphere of ideological influence doesn't reach into China.

And because Eastern cultures like Russia and China are deeply resentful of Western paternalism.

And because we don't have the right to tell them how to think, what to say, and how to act because—multinational monies invested in the Chinese financial system aside—it just isn't our place.

World wars have started over far less egregious paternalism than the idiot who started this thread typically displays. :thup:

Forum List

Back