Bribe? Wall Street firms donated $11.2 Million to members of debt ‘super committee

I think it gets voted on by Congress the same way our "free" trade deals are voted on.
Up or down.
No amendments.
(No debate?)

Apparently, this "Super Congress" has been set up to insulate the lesser congress from voter vengeance in 2012.

I think it gets voted on by Congress the same way our "free" trade deals are voted on.
Up or down.
No amendments.
(No debate?)

Apparently, this "Super Congress" has been set up to insulate the lesser congress from voter vengeance in 2012.
The way I see it is the process is completely unConstitutional if this is the case. I don't think the House will go for any of it.

And are there any members on the comittee that voted NOT to raise the debt ceiling?

The decision by the Congress, not a committee - special or otherwise - deciding on what is best for the greatest good for the greatest number of our citizens is required during these extraordinary times. Such an outcome is impossible. To expect the Congress to act in such a manner would be for them to act responsibly and without regard to the minority who fund their reelection and that will not happen.

A Special Committee is aptly named, for their attention will be focused on the Special Interests, not the common good. Now that funds can be given to elected officials without limit any pretense that we live in a democratic society can be dropped - we live today in a plutocracy, of that there can be no doubt.

Up or down.
No amendments.
(No debate?)

The way I see it is the process is completely unConstitutional if this is the case. I don't think the House will go for any of it.

And are there any members on the comittee that voted NOT to raise the debt ceiling?
That's another good question, T.

I think it's safe to say Congress is still listening primarily to their campaign contributors.
Here's a left-slant on who's backing the "Super Congress" financially.

"Maplight reports that the 10 biggest organization contributors (this includes PACs and Employees) to Super Committee Members are…

Club for Growth $990,066
Microsoft Corp. $810,100
University of California $629,495
Goldman Sachs $592,684
EMILY’s List $586,835
Citigroup Inc. $561,081
JPMorgan Chase & Co. $494,316
Bank of America $349,566
Skadden, Arps, et al. $347,356
General Electric $340,935"

I don't think it's possible to change this process by "choosing" between Republican OR Democrat in the voting booth. FLUSH 'em all starting with the White House in 2012.

Getting What You Pay for: Super Committee

The decision by the Congress, not a committee - special or otherwise - deciding on what is best for the greatest good for the greatest number of our citizens is required during these extraordinary times. Such an outcome is impossible. To expect the Congress to act in such a manner would be for them to act responsibly and without regard to the minority who fund their reelection and that will not happen.

A Special Committee is aptly named, for their attention will be focused on the Special Interests, not the common good. Now that funds can be given to elected officials without limit any pretense that we live in a democratic society can be dropped - we live today in a plutocracy, of that there can be no doubt.
Is class warfare ready for prime time?

From Politico:

"All six Republican choices are white males, several with considerable wealth and all but one, Senate Minority Whip Jon Kyl (R-Ariz.), ranked in the top half of the House or Senate in their net worth, according to annual tables kept by the Center for Responsive Politics.

"To be sure, Democrats have a northeast multimillionaire, Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts, but also the only woman, black and Latino among the 12 and with the exception of Kerry, all the Democrats chosen rank near or in the bottom half of the House and Senate in their net worth."

A rich man, poor man cast - David Rogers - POLITICO.com

At some point this economy will scream loudly enough to focus American attention spans the same way 911 did. It will be interesting to see if any Republican OR Democratic incumbents are willing to represent the majority of their constituents' interests.

I'm not hopeful, at the moment.

Last time I looked we were still a Republic despite looking like a Democracy. Gotta get rid of the mob.
Did Aristotle understand government?

"(Democracy) is a government in the hands of men of low birth, no property, and vulgar employment."
And what is a true Democracy but mob rule?

And what is a Republic but a plutocracy by a different name?

That's why I think it best that we strive to keep the DEMO in this REPUBLIC.

I no more want to live in a neo feudal one world order than I want to live in a North Korean workers' paradise.

Not that what I want amounts to a hill of beans, of course.

The Threat Within (Voting ourselves largesse from the public treasury)

Mobacracy...

Congress is leading the assault on private property, and reaping a windfall from it. The gold-plated health insurance and retirement plans, the all-expenses-paid vacations, the millions in cash that pass through campaign accounts and PACs … “Public service” pays well these days. Since they oversee a trillion-dollar political market for stolen goods, it shouldn’t surprise us that members of Congress skim a relatively modest commission of a few million for themselves.
The U.S. Congress is becoming as corrupt as the Roman senate, which kept transferring property from the productive sector of society to the unproductive sector, until finally the productive sector collapsed and Rome herself fell. We aren’t at that stage yet, but there isn’t much time left to wake up and confront the moral rot that threatens to sink us.
Opinion? Perhaps...but an educated one as the evidence is all around us...

Mobacracy...

Congress is leading the assault on private property, and reaping a windfall from it. The gold-plated health insurance and retirement plans, the all-expenses-paid vacations, the millions in cash that pass through campaign accounts and PACs … “Public service” pays well these days. Since they oversee a trillion-dollar political market for stolen goods, it shouldn’t surprise us that members of Congress skim a relatively modest commission of a few million for themselves.
The U.S. Congress is becoming as corrupt as the Roman senate, which kept transferring property from the productive sector of society to the unproductive sector, until finally the productive sector collapsed and Rome herself fell. We aren’t at that stage yet, but there isn’t much time left to wake up and confront the moral rot that threatens to sink us.
Opinion? Perhaps...but an educated one as the evidence is all around us...
"The U.S. Congress is becoming as corrupt as the Roman senate, which kept transferring property from the productive sector of society to the unproductive sector, until finally the productive sector collapsed and Rome herself fell. We aren’t at that stage yet, but there isn’t much time left to wake up and confront the moral rot that threatens to sink us."

Part of that evidence is the recent multi-trillion dollar bailout of unproductive gambling losses on Wall Street with funds transferred from the US productive sector.

Voting ourselves largesse from the public treasury represents one level of threat to this country, and campaigns bribes to Republicans AND Democrats represents a much larger threat, imo.

[...]

Voting ourselves largesse from the public treasury represents one level of threat to this country, and campaigns bribes to Republicans AND Democrats represents a much larger threat, imo.
Some would say a voting public who possess the means to effect change but who allow the kind of clearly corrupt financial shenanigans perpetrated by its elected officials to go on year after year deserves to be enslaved.

I can't think of any argument against that reasoning.

"The man in the street does not recognize the devil even when the devil is holding him by the throat." [Johann von Goethe]

I was against TARP, still am. Banks shouldn't be afforded extra nets while the rest of us are taking risks without nets.
At about $700billion, TARP is only a small fraction of the total bailout package.
We should also keep in mind the incentives to CRASH this system are still in place.
Wall Street dodged the bullet in 2008.
Maybe they won't be so lucky in 2012.

[...]

Some would say a voting public who possess the means to effect change but who allow the kind of clearly corrupt financial shenanigans perpetrated by its elected officials to go on year after year deserves to be enslaved.

I can't think of any argument against that reasoning.

"The man in the street does not recognize the devil even when the devil is holding him by the throat." [Johann von Goethe]
I would be among the last to deny the existence of slave-like voting patterns in this country; however, the Internet makes it very easy to Change that particular pathology. In many states there are already existing third party candidates appearing on every ballot. It requires little extra effort to vote Green or Libertarian or Whatever instead of Republican OR Democrat.

Granted, it is a political leap of faith that would probably hand the White House and Congress over to Republicans for at least two years.

What worries me more is the possibility that the alternative could be much worse.

By Eric W. Dolan
Thursday, August 18th, 2011 -- 8:39 pm

The bipartisan "super committee" created by the debt ceiling deal is comprised of lawmakers who have received big bucks from special interest groups, according to a report by MapLight.

The committee is tasked with finding at least $1.2 trillion in deficit cuts over ten years.

In total, the twelve members appointed to the Joint Select Committee on Deficit Reduction got nearly $64.5 million from special interests groups over the past decade, with legal firms donating about $31.5 million and Wall Street firms donating about $11.2 million.

Of that $11.2 million, Goldman Sachs, Citigroup, Bank of America and JPMorgan Chase donated approximately $2 million combined.

The members appointed to the committee are Sens. Pat Toomey (R-PA), Jon Kyl (R-AZ), Rob Portman (R-OH), Patty Murray (D-WA), John Kerry (D-MA), and Max Baucus (D-MT) and Reps. Jeb Hensarling (R-TX), Fred Upton (R-MI), Dave Camp (R-MI), Chris Van Hollen (D-MD), Xavier Becerra (D-CA), and Jim Clyburn (D-SC).

Democratic and liberal groups donated the third most amount of money, with about $9.6 million in political contributions, and the health industry donated the fourth most, with about $9.3 million.

Club for Growth, a conservative free market group, donated more money than any other organization, contributing a combined $990,066 to the twelve lawmakers. The vast majority of that money went to Sen. Toomey.

Microsoft Corp. donated the second most, with $810,100.

The six Republicans on the committee have signed a pledge by Americans for Tax Reform to vote against any tax increases.

read more Wall Street firms donated $11.2 million to members of debt ‘super committee’ | The Raw Story

I'm not sure I get your point. All members of Congress receive money from people who work for all kinds of industry and from all kinds of special interest groups. Can you pick a dozen members of Congress who would have less contributions from Wall Street interests?

Big business owns the government - that includes Wall Street but is in no way limited to Wall Street. Every big business from oil to transportation to the banks own the government.

Forum List

Back