“Breaking the vacuum” with petawatt laser

But if that laser were here now could it separate antimatter from matter in a vacuum

Lol
That's the theory.
You can not separate matter and antimatter, because they annihilate each other, which means they can never be together in harmony to be separated. It's not a theory if you understand the properties of matter
So, are you a theoretical physicist?
One does not need be a physicist to understand a theory as you do not.

Again matter and antimatter can not be separated because they can never be together.
View attachment 284159
Look kid explain how a laser can separate antimatter that is not there from matter

Again matter and antimatter can not exist together

Actually, current theory on quantum fluctuations says particles are popping in and out of existence in vacuum constantly. Here’s a wiki link.

“A quantum fluctuation is the temporary appearance of energetic particles out of empty space, as allowed by the uncertainty principle.”

Quantum fluctuation - Wikipedia

However, even better, with less math and more humor, is this talk by Lawrence Krause. I’ve listened to this through several times and always enjoyed it. I hope you find it equally interesting.

Perhaps this is old news for some but this was the first I heard about it, ripping particles from empty space.

“...most alluring, Li says, would be showing that light could tear electrons and their antimatter counterparts, positrons, from empty space—a phenomenon known as "breaking the vacuum." It would be a striking illustration that matter and energy are interchangeable...”

Physicists are planning to build lasers so powerful they could rip apart empty space | Science | AAAS
There is nothing in empty space to tear apart, though this may prove false, nor does matter if there have a present antimatter counterpart to rip away as matter and antimatter can not cohabitate the same space without neutralizing each other

Nice story though, popping in einstein makes it seem logical, at least to an illogical processor, which I lack

To pop in and out of existence is a theory that requires totally new physics. Furthermore antimatter can not be separated from matter because they can not exist together.

It's all gibberish

My theory is that fools are pushing pseudoscience in an attempt to dethrone the current title holder

Frannie, YOU are gibberish. That "new physics" you suggest needed has been around since about the 1920s. Further antimatter DOES exist because it HAS to be separated! The problem with antimatter is that not enough of it can be produced to be particularly useful. Every particle has its opposite. One exists because of the other.

There is no new or old physics as the properties of matter have never changed. Only human understanding changes

Obviously the law existed. It had to exist to be smashed. I think your confusion is a result of a misunderstanding of what science actually is. It is not a rigid body of knowledge cast in stone. It is an ongoing revelation fueled by expertise and technology subject to constant challenge and revision, hence my qualification of testable, verifiable (repeatable) and falsifiable. If if it cannot be subject to that kind of scrutiny, it is not science, it is hypothesis at best or idol dreaming at worst.

What I believe is that it’s an interesting and testable, verifiable and falsifiable hypothesis. An experiment to test it all has been designed and it is just a matter of developing the technology a bit more to catch up to the experimental design, I look forward to seeing the results. It’s exciting stuff, to me, getting to know the universe we inhabit.

Science is always restless if it’s good science. In my field, Abbe’s Law of Diffraction was the 800 lb gorilla in the room when it came to determining ultimate resolution of optical systems in microscopy. That held for over a century until Stefan Hell smashed the optical resolution barrier, rewrote Abbe’s equations and won a noble prize doing it. The truths science uncovers often depend on certain technology or tools to reveal them. So things change as we grow our smarts and technology.

Lawrence Krause is anything but a fool. He is one of the leading particle physicists and cosmologists of the day and, as demonstrated by the Wiki article, this is current thinking in theoretical physics, a Nobel prize having been awarded on this exact topic. I’m not sure you read the article, or if you did that you understood it. It is completely in keeping with current theory that, if you dump enough energy into a finite space, you might get matter. That is exactly one of the keen points of interest in doing the experiment. Energy to matter conversion.
So you believe that the universe and all the matter in it just popped into existence from nothing and that a degree is needed to claim this

Lol
The only reason that a law can be smashed is because it never existed
What I believe is that it’s an interesting and testable, verifiable and falsifiable hypothesis. An experiment to test it all has been designed and it is just a matter of developing the technology a bit more to catch up to the experimental design, I look forward to seeing the results. It’s exciting stuff, to me, getting to know the universe we inhabit.

Science is always restless if it’s good science. In my field, Abbe’s Law of Diffraction was the 800 lb gorilla in the room when it came to determining ultimate resolution of optical systems in microscopy. That held for over a century until Stefan Hell smashed the optical resolution barrier, rewrote Abbe’s equations and won a noble prize doing it. The truths science uncovers often depend on certain technology or tools to reveal them. So things change as we grow our smarts and technology.

Lawrence Krause is anything but a fool. He is one of the leading particle physicists and cosmologists of the day and, as demonstrated by the Wiki article, this is current thinking in theoretical physics, a Nobel prize having been awarded on this exact topic. I’m not sure you read the article, or if you did that you understood it. It is completely in keeping with current theory that, if you dump enough energy into a finite space, you might get matter. That is exactly one of the keen points of interest in doing the experiment. Energy to matter conversion.
So you believe that the universe and all the matter in it just popped into existence from nothing and that a degree is needed to claim this

Lol

OB, I see you haven't been around long enough yet to realize that facts and reason do not matter or work with Frannie. Frannie lives in an alternate reality of pseudo-insanity where the Moon is a hollow metal ball and believes she was an FBI agent in another life. Frannie is the resident science troll. In her world, even the shadow cast by a sundial is debatable. Must have been too much LSD in grade school.
Lol play on kid.......

I love it when the fools get so desperate that they brand me a conspiracy theorist for saying stuff like the FBI nsa is recording every phone call made

Tell me more

Denial is a wonderful thing isn’t it? Just go nah, nah, nah, and cruise right along with you delusion of the day.

Abbe’s law of Diffraction existed for over a century.

Abbe’s Law of Diffraction was broken by Stefan Hell.

Facts.

You can believe anything you want. Fortunately you can’t change facts.

Abbe’s Law of Diffraction had been tested and proven, over and over, probably thousands of times, with the best available knowledge and techniques of the day. The fact you can’t understand the conditional nature of theories and laws in science, doesn’t change what they are, it just merely reveals your ignorance of the topic.

Wow, nice display of ignorance. Try looking up the definition of Laws, theories and hypothesis as used in science. It is science we’re discussing here so those definitions apply.

Here, let me help. Live and learn.

“In general, a scientific law is the description of an observed phenomenon. It doesn't explain why the phenomenon exists or what causes it. The explanation of a phenomenon is called a scientific theory. It is a misconception that theories turn into laws with enough research.

"In science, laws are a starting place," said Peter Coppinger, an associate professor of biology and biomedical engineering at the Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology. "From there, scientists can then ask the questions, 'Why and how?'"”

What Is a Law in Science?

Obviously the law existed. It had to exist to be smashed. I think your confusion is a result of a misunderstanding of what science actually is. It is not a rigid body of knowledge cast in stone. It is an ongoing revelation fueled by expertise and technology subject to constant challenge and revision, hence my qualification of testable, verifiable (repeatable) and falsifiable. If if it cannot be subject to that kind of scrutiny, it is not science, it is hypothesis at best or idol dreaming at worst.

If the law was smashed it never existed.

Physical laws do not change, only human understanding changes
Actually physical laws are not breakable, so if it was broken it was described in error

Jesus
Again physical laws do not ever change, only wrong human interpretations change

Again, you seem to strikingly ignorant of the subject. You can combine matter and antimatter and this has in fact been done Many times.

“When matter and anti-matter particles collide in high-energy collisions, they turn into energy and produce new particles and antiparticles. At the Fermilab proton-antiproton collider, scientists observe hundreds of millions every day.”

Fermilab scientists find evidence for significant matter-antimatter asymmetry

When matter and antimatter combine, the yield is almost pure energy (remember mass/energy conversion?). Even for a non-scientist, I’m surprised you don’t understand this.

Perhaps this is old news for some but this was the first I heard about it, ripping particles from empty space.

“...most alluring, Li says, would be showing that light could tear electrons and their antimatter counterparts, positrons, from empty space—a phenomenon known as "breaking the vacuum." It would be a striking illustration that matter and energy are interchangeable...”

Physicists are planning to build lasers so powerful they could rip apart empty space | Science | AAAS
That's a long ways off.

IIRC a petawatt is something like 10 to the 15th power watts, and right now I'm not ever sure we could power Doc Brown's delorian and all it needs is 1.5 gigawatts. Again, IIRC (college was a long time ago) a gigawatt is about 1 millionth of a petawatt. Or maybe 1 billionth?
But if that laser were here now could it separate antimatter from matter in a vacuum

Lol
That's the theory.
You can not separate matter and antimatter, because they annihilate each other, which means they can never be together in harmony to be separated. It's not a theory if you understand the properties of matter
They annihilate each other in a fraction of a millisecond. If present together

Oh, I didn’t know. I’m new here. I will bear that in mind from now on. It’s not surprising, they’re everywhere....never understood the appeal in trolling, seems stupid to me.

Wow, nice display of ignorance. Try looking up the definition of Laws, theories and hypothesis as used in science. It is science we’re discussing here so those definitions apply.

Here, let me help. Live and learn.

“In general, a scientific law is the description of an observed phenomenon. It doesn't explain why the phenomenon exists or what causes it. The explanation of a phenomenon is called a scientific theory. It is a misconception that theories turn into laws with enough research.

"In science, laws are a starting place," said Peter Coppinger, an associate professor of biology and biomedical engineering at the Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology. "From there, scientists can then ask the questions, 'Why and how?'"”

What Is a Law in Science?

If the law was smashed it never existed.

Physical laws do not change, only human understanding changes
Frannie is a troll. He is saying stupid shit on purpose for attention. Don't waste your time.
Quote wiki some more, ask if you want a good quantum startup to invest in, though you might have to sell your pez collection

Sorry, OB, I have to step in here to say something. As a lifelong astronomer well versed in optics and familiar with everything regarding light, I have to say that I do not view Hell as having proven Abbe wrong. Hells theories and methods are more of a trick, a work-around to beat the wave nature of light. This is all good stuff in the field of microscopy where you need a non-destructive way of getting really high resolution below the surface of a 3-D object, but if Hell proved Abbe wrong, tell me how I can beat the diffraction limit using an apochromat to split two very close stars? Tell me how I can get 0.4 arcseconds resolution using a 6" glass? And let's avoid the esoterics of things such as speckling interferometry and the like. I'm talking straight up optical magnification.

Abbe's Law may have been conditionally surpassed with science not available in Abbe's day, but I wrinkle my nose at it being said it has been proven WRONG.

Again, you seem to strikingly ignorant of the subject. When matter and antimatter combine, the yield is almost pure energy (remember mass/energy conversion?).

OB, I'm really enjoying you destroying Frannie The Troll! Sure of everything, knows nothing. But I think it also worthwhile to add that when combining matter and antimatter, it requires they be LIKE particles to annihilate. Maybe somewhere out there we can find an antimatter Frannie to join up with to meet her. :21:

That's a long ways off.

IIRC a petawatt is something like 10 to the 15th power watts, and right now I'm not ever sure we could power Doc Brown's delorian and all it needs is 1.5 gigawatts. Again, IIRC (college was a long time ago) a gigawatt is about 1 millionth of a petawatt. Or maybe 1 billionth?

Edit, now that I finally made the article load I see that they have actually done it, even if only for a trillionth of a second.

Neat.
Wattage = energy/time.

The less time an amount of energy is expended in, the greater the wattage. If you release 1 joule over the course of 1 second, you've created 1 watt. I release 1 joule over the course of a billionth of a second, you've created a gigawatt.

The hard part is releasing the energy is a short a pulse as possible. Even harder is creating a continuous release of the same amount of wattage.

Again, you seem to strikingly ignorant of the subject. You can combine matter and antimatter and this has in fact been done Many times.

“When matter and anti-matter particles collide in high-energy collisions, they turn into energy and produce new particles and antiparticles. At the Fermilab proton-antiproton collider, scientists observe hundreds of millions every day.”

When matter and antimatter combine, the yield is almost pure energy (remember mass/energy conversion?). Even for a non-scientist, I’m surprised you don’t understand this.

That's a long ways off.

Lol
That's the theory.
She's not a non scientist, she's an anti scientist. Christian fundimentalist and extreme right winger. The other day she was trying to say there were no dinosaur bones because they are rocks and the earth isn't that old anyway.

China's not the only country trying to do this. They're just the only one trying to do it cheaper with the short, but powerful burst of laser multiplied over.

Matter vs antimatter is something else. Matter and antimatter destroy each other, but we have an uncountable amount of matter. We are here. There isn't much antimatter. Thus, something caused it so that we are here. The big bang theory states that an equal amount of matter and antimatter were produced. Thus, we shouldn't be here because matter and antimatter destroy each other. However, we have an uncountable amount of matter as I said. Thus, there is evidence for God.

That's a long ways off.

Lol
That's the theory.
She's not a non scientist, she's an anti scientist. Christian fundimentalist and extreme right winger. The other day she was trying to say there were no dinosaur bones because they are rocks and the earth isn't that old anyway.
The point of saying there are no dinosaur bones was to point out that DNA can not be extracted from rock.

Something you are too ignorant to understand obviously

CIAO

Lol
That's the theory.
The point of saying there are no dinosaur bones was to point out that DNA can not be extracted from rock.

CIAO
Soft tissue preserved millions of years in dinosaur fossils/bones.

Dinosaur Shocker | Science | Smithsonian

That's the theory.

CIAO

And now they are going to clone dinosaurs

Must be real if there is an internet link

I could say that the internet is fake, but that would be an understatement, your mind is controlled as such you think what they tell you

The age of dinosaurs ended 66 million years ago, the museum might close if not enough morons attend

Ah, thank you for the astute response. I tend to agree with this from the standpoint of pure brightfield or dark field optics, Abbe’s original equations hold. However, Hell’s rewrite of Abbe’s law establishes new resolution limits based on laser power rather than wavelength and as such represents heretofore recognized potential and is the reason his work received such recognition...and a rewrite of Abbe’s equations to reflect this new understanding.

We could consider this similar to Newton’s Law of Gravity in view of dark matter. Newton’s Law holds for planetary systems but for intergalactic distances, different equations rule.

So, we see this in so much of science, that what we consider to be a universal law ends up being actually a special case, limited by our ability to perceive the complete picture. These are the exciting things in science, the the slow but steady tweaking of theory to better reflect reality. Thanks for the comments.

Sorry, OB, I have to step in here to say something. As a lifelong astronomer well versed in optics and familiar with everything regarding light, I have to say that I do not view Hell as having proven Abbe wrong. Hells theories and methods are more of a trick, a work-around to beat the wave nature of light. This is all good stuff in the field of microscopy where you need a non-destructive way of getting really high resolution below the surface of a 3-D object, but if Hell proved Abbe wrong, tell me how I can beat the diffraction limit using an apochromat to split two very close stars? Tell me how I can get 0.4 arcseconds resolution using a 6" glass? And let's avoid the esoterics of things such as speckling interferometry and the like. I'm talking straight up optical magnification.

Abbe's Law may have been conditionally surpassed with science not available in Abbe's day, but I wrinkle my nose at it being said it has been proven WRONG.

Last edited:
Blah, blah, woof, woof. Thought I’d try arguing on your level for a bit.

CIAO

I could say that the internet is fake, but that would be an understatement, your mind is controlled as such you think what they tell you

The age of dinosaurs ended 66 million years ago, the museum might close if not enough morons attend

One additional comment. In case not everyone made it to the end of Krauss’s talk, there was an almost depressing revelation. He projected billions of years into the future, envisioning an advanced race gazing at space. In this time, every galaxy in the universe would have red shifted to invisibility because of the ever increasing velocity of the expansion of the universe. And in this time, scientists of the day, using the best of their knowledge and the best of their technology, would see only their own galaxy, with no indication of anything else in the universe. They’d see a universe, eternal, unending and unchanging. Empirical science would get it wrong. It makes one wonder what else we might be missing.

Blah, blah, woof, woof. Thought I’d try arguing on your level for a bit.

CIAO

You would need several million years of evolution to do that

CIAO

It's from Smithsonian, not Infowars. Try to keep up please.

Forum List

Back