Bread Baking

Well, i was hoping to get more information out of him before i answered with ideas...

but for lack of information...i will give some general things for him to try...

Dont bake the bread at a high temp.... bake at no more then 350.
Do not use water for its glaze...and do not spritz the oven while baking.
Use an egg and milk wash glaze if you want a glazing.
Add an egg to the dough
Add a fat to "shorten" the dough..... butter is my choice, but oil or shorting will work too.

I know there's science involved but I don't worry about it. I just know my bread always turns out yummy.

I buy good flour and good yeast, though.

I tend to cook mine @425, but I watch it like a hawk. If I'm baking big loaves, I'll bake it at 425 until it's brown, then turn way down to 325. I'm probably doing it ass backwards.

I haven't gotten into glazing bread....I generally just make white bread. I have made hot cross buns, I think, that had a glaze...and I've made a few braided loaves that were glazed. I made some killer french bread in my distant past...but ultimately, I cook white bread, loaves and rolls. And we use it for everything people use cheap white bread for...sandwiches, toast, school lunches. The kids have rolls with butter and jam in their lunches today.

I know there's science involved but I don't worry about it. I just know my bread always turns out yummy.

I buy good flour and good yeast, though.

I tend to cook mine @425, but I watch it like a hawk. If I'm baking big loaves, I'll bake it at 425 until it's brown, then turn way down to 325. I'm probably doing it ass backwards.

I haven't gotten into glazing bread....I generally just make white bread. I have made hot cross buns, I think, that had a glaze...and I've made a few braided loaves that were glazed. I made some killer french bread in my distant past...but ultimately, I cook white bread, loaves and rolls. And we use it for everything people use cheap white bread for...sandwiches, toast, school lunches. The kids have rolls with butter and jam in their lunches today.

Hotter ovens make harder/crunchier crusts. A lower temperature will help to not achieve that end. Water in the from of a glaze/brushing...or misting the oven for added humidity/steam also contributes to the crispness of the crust.

Well, i was hoping to get more information out of him before i answered with ideas...

Add an egg to the dough
Add a fat to "shorten" the dough..... butter is my choice, but oil or shorting will work too.

Sorry, I'm work early in the morning.

I have been baking at a high temp - no less than 400.
What does adding an egg do?
I don't know about glazing, what is it?
What do you mean by "shorten"ing the dough?

Shortening the dough means it is more tender...*short* pastry tends to have more shortening/fat in it.

Glazing with an egg wash will make your crust shiny, and golden, and harder than no wash.

Glazing with water will make the crust shinier and harder. French bread is sometimes washed with water, then slashed.

Add an egg to the dough

lol.. no worries :tongue:

use your usual recipe.... lower the baking temp..add and egg and about 1/4 cup of fat per about 3 cups of flour....

i was trying to get what you want to do with the bread you are trying to bake?

you are making/asking about a "french" bread, yes?

Think challah or brioche for and "egg" bread. It is softer with a much softer crust.

a "short" dough only means the addition of a fat to the mixture. The "shorter" the dough.... the more fat to flour ratio you have.

Gazing... is the finish. An egg wash is a glazing.... milk or water brushed on before baking is a glazing.... they all contribute to the visual look of the finished product.

Add an egg to the dough

use your usual recipe.... lower the baking temp..add and egg and about 1/4 cup of fat per about 3 cups of flour....

Think challah or brioche for and "egg" bread. It is softer with a much softer crust.

a "short" dough only means the addition of a fat to the mixture. The "shorter" the dough.... the more fat to flour ratio you have.

Gazing... is the finish. An egg wash is a glazing.... milk or water brushed on before baking is a glazing.... they all contribute to the visual look of the finished product.

I would like to bake all kinds of breads. French, sourdough, rye, marble rye, ciabatta, you name it. I was thinking of doing something like regular store bought sandwich bread for my gf because of her jaw problems.

My breads tend to come out denser than I would like, less fluffy. I've been afraid to bake French bread because its such a light, airy bread and I just can't seem to get bread to turn out that way.

i would suggest you look on the web for recipes such as

Brioche
Challah
Cuban Bread
Focaccia

for a softer type of bread.

:)

My rolls were yummy last night.

I made pizza. The dough came out flatter than I would've liked, but still good. I also make my own sauce. I would love to make my own pepperoni, but I have a job and there's only so much I can do homemade.

I buy appian way pizza crust mix and make my own, lol.

I know what you mean. I would like to spin my own thread, make my own cloth, learn to weave, learn to hook rugs, create a tapestry, make quilts for all, raise my own meat, have a garden, can my own winter veggies, make my own pickles, and make my own sausage.

Yeah. I don't do any of that shit. I work and drag my tired ass home to bed.

I would like to bake all kinds of breads. French, sourdough, rye, marble rye, ciabatta, you name it. I was thinking of doing something like regular store bought sandwich bread for my gf because of her jaw problems.

My breads tend to come out denser than I would like, less fluffy. I've been afraid to bake French bread because its such a light, airy bread and I just can't seem to get bread to turn out that way.

the hard part is done... you have a kitchen aid! :tongue:

Look at the King Aurthur Flour web site.....they will have everything you need for all types of breads...and always good for ideas. I love their bakers dry milk as an addition to my white bread.

The internet is your friend.... there are many resources and recipes to choose from.

what type of flour are you using? I suggest you use bread flour, the gluten content is different then AP flour.

Add an egg to the dough

Agreed.

I'm quite the bread baker. Love the KitchenAid Mixmaster for kneading.

One trick I use to make yeastier breads is to make a "sponge" before mixing up the dough. Take half the flour and add leavening and sweatener (I use sugar for white breads, honey for whole wheat), and warm liquid...mix up and let sit for a couple of hours to liven up the yeast. Then I finish mixing the dough and start the rise process.

I also have a couple of sourdough cultures I bought from Sourdoughs International (as well as the "antiquities" book). The Bahrain culture is my favorite.

My rolls were yummy last night.

I made pizza. The dough came out flatter than I would've liked, but still good. I also make my own sauce. I would love to make my own pepperoni, but I have a job and there's only so much I can do homemade.

Again... depending on the type of flour you use...you will get different results in your dough.

Check your dates on your yeast too.... it may be dated. And always prof your yeast to make sure the yeast is alive.

When I first started making bread, I didn't even use water. I used hot milk.
images

This stuff is super cheap, but the crust really is good.

If you accidentally pick up one of the pepperoni pizza kits, feed the pepperoni bits to the dog as treats, and use your own toppings...including sauce, if you have it.

I love this stuff with the kids...the kids can make the crust, it will cover a cookie sheet, and we put whatever we've got on the pizza, and it is ALWAYS delish.

Because of my love affair with appian way pizza crust, I have never ventured to create my own.

Add an egg to the dough

Agreed.

I'm quite the bread baker. Love the KitchenAid Mixmaster for kneading.

One trick I use to make yeastier breads is to make a "sponge" before mixing up the dough. Take half the flour and add leavening and sweatener (I use sugar for white breads, honey for whole wheat), and warm liquid...mix up and let sit for a couple of hours to liven up the yeast. Then I finish mixing the dough and start the rise process.

I also have a couple of sourdough cultures I bought from Sourdoughs International (as well as the "antiquities" book). The Bahrain culture is my favorite.

My mother always had sourdough starter on the counter when I was in high school, through my young adulthood. She had an earthenware bowl, and in it was the starter. When she wanted pancakes, bread, or waffles, she would add flour/milk, whatever. And it was amazing.

the hard part is done... you have a kitchen aid! :tongue:

Look at the King Aurthur Flour web site.....they will have everything you need for all types of breads...and always good for ideas. I love their bakers dry milk as an addition to my white bread.

The internet is your friend.... there are many resources and recipes to choose from.

what type of flour are you using? I suggest you use bread flour, the gluten content is different then AP flour.

I was using the high gluten bread flour, but read that AP works just fine. Also, Its cheaper.

The internet is great, but there's seems little to help beyond recipes. That's why I asked for tips and tricks. I saw the King Arthur website, but skipped it due to skepticism of corporations' motives.

The corporation is motivated to help you make wonderful bread with their product. This is an instance when I'd trust what they have to say.

When I first started making bread, I didn't even use water. I used hot milk.
images

This stuff is super cheap, but the crust really is good.

If you accidentally pick up one of the pepperoni pizza kits, feed the pepperoni bits to the dog as treats, and use your own toppings...including sauce, if you have it.

I love this stuff with the kids...the kids can make the crust, it will cover a cookie sheet, and we put whatever we've got on the pizza, and it is ALWAYS delish.

Because of my love affair with appian way pizza crust, I have never ventured to create my own.

Now that brings back memories! We used to make Appian Way pizza when I was a kid!

Forum List

Back