brake problem

Could you be getting axle wrap due to the larger tires?
Now that I think about it thats probably whats happening.
That would possibly cause a constant or speed-sensitive vibration, same as if the wheel was an issue. Since it only happens with braking, I'd put low odds on it.
Anything's possible, though, and stranger things have happened.

That would possibly cause a constant or speed-sensitive vibration, same as if the wheel was an issue. Since it only happens with braking, I'd put low odds on it.

It makes total sense. And I'd be willing to bet thats the cause.

When you hit the brakes hard it loads the springs and stops the shake,when you hit them lightly there's not enough force to flex the springs.
But when you use them normally it loads and releases the spring causing the shudder.

It makes sense when you take your description into account.
When you hit the brakes hard it loads the springs and stops the shake,when you hit them lightly there's not enough force to flex the springs.
But when you use them normally it loads and releases the spring causing the shudder.
Doesn't that involve leaf springs? I have coil springs in the rear.

Doesn't that involve leaf springs? I have springs in the rear.

Whoops my bad. I could have sworn the 95 had leaf springs.
Back to the drawing board.

Doesn't that involve leaf springs? I have springs in the rear.

Whoops my bad. I could have sworn the 95 had leaf springs.
Back to the drawing board.
You are not the first person that thought that. lol

Which the coils need to be replaced too. I love me a Toyota but the damn 4 runners LOVE to sag!!

A bent axle is really easy to check for. Just jack up the rear end so both wheels are just clear of the ground and let them slowly spin in gear at idle (use jackstands for safety). Push a cinder block or other heavy object close to the side of both tires. Any wheel wobble will be clearly visible.
This is also a good test for bent rims or tire belt issues, BTW.

After doing some searching this appears to be common with the second gen 4runners.
And I havent found any solid answers to the problem.
I've read everything from bad drums,bad axle bearings and even bad U-joints.

After doing some searching this appears to be common with the second gen 4runners.
From what you are saying, it almost sounds like Toyota may have put too weak of a drive train in those vehicles. Uncommon for that company, since their stuff is usually rock-solid.

From what you are saying, it almost sounds like Toyota may have put too weak of a drive train in those vehicles. Uncommon for that company, since their stuff is usually rock-solid.
blasphemy! lol

blasphemy! lol

Have you checked your control arms?
If they are worn you'll get something that resembles axle wrap.

blasphemy! lol

I had them checked when I had the tires put on

blasphemy! lol

Get a buddy to follow you with a video camera so you can get a better idea of whats going on.

blasphemy! lol

Be sure to tell us what it turns out to be.

btw, does the vibration pulse with the speed of the vehice, iow, is it a thump thump thump that gets faster or slower depending on how fast the vehicle is going when you depress the pedal?

blasphemy! lol

Be sure to tell us what it turns out to be.

btw, does the vibration pulse with the speed of the vehice, iow, is it a thump thump thump that gets faster or slower depending on how fast the vehicle is going when you depress the pedal?
Oh, I will!
Yes, I guess you can say that.

lol, the redneck fix is...

if it's a 2 stage master cylinder, pull off the line going to the rear brakes and put a little rubber plug in the fitting, then put it back on. Voila! the rear brakes will be disabled and no more vibration, if they're the culprits. Your front brakes will stop you, most of the time, lol.

Happy motoring! Drive carefully.

Forum List

Back