brake problem

check the wheel balance.....pull the ....o hell what are they called....rim...pull the rim and look for anything caught in it....if this started with new tires i would look or a problem there....

could be as simple as a rock caught in the thread...but remember car repair is keep it simple stupid...start with easy and work your way up

No vibration when there's no braking pretty much points to the brake system as the cause.
If it were the wheel/tire, you'd have it all the time, or probably just at speed.
It could be possible that something got dislodged when the tires got replaced, or maybe the drum didn't get re-seated all the way.
Even though you said that the drums are newer, you still could do well by having them checked. Drums are tough, tougher than disks (they warp) for certain, but they still can go out-of-round. It wouldn't take but the tiniest fraction of a millimeter to cause what you described.

No vibration when there's no braking pretty much points to the brake system as the cause.
If it were the wheel/tire, you'd have it all the time, or probably just at speed.
It could be possible that something got dislodged when the tires got replaced, or maybe the drum didn't get re-seated all the way.
Even though you said that the drums are newer, you still could do well by having them checked. Drums are tough, tougher than disks (they warp) for certain, but they still can go out-of-round. It wouldn't take but the tiniest fraction of a millimeter to cause what you described.
Yea, I decided last night I was just going to take it somewhere Sat morning. Im not going to mess with it.

Yea, I decided last night I was just going to take it somewhere Sat morning. Im not going to mess with it.

Take it to who put the tires on. It started immediately, didn't it?

Not a bad idea.
I can redo disk brakes all day, since they're so simple to deal with, but I still hesitate to deal with drums.
Disk jobs take one socket and a C-clamp... drums take a few special tools due to the springs, adjusters, etc., and if everything isn't put back exactly right, you get problems.

I just moved.. but there is a good brake/tire place a few miles down the road.

I just moved.. but there is a good brake/tire place a few miles down the road.

lol, who will want to sell you brakes whether you need them or not.

ny is right...i had some motor work and body work done at the same time....banged out a few dents on the hood.....fine on interstate....soon as i hit the mountains i hear a horrible thud...around each curve....i had to wait a few weeks before i could get back down the mountain and return to the mechanic...i told him the problem.....he pops the hood looks around the motor ..reaches in and pull out some type of metal tool...goes 'i been looking all over for this'.....and that was my horrible engine noise...but start with the tire people

lol, who will want to sell you brakes whether you need them or not.
Possible, but not necessarily true.
Back before I started doing most of my own work, I once went to a local Firestone store because my back brakes were making a heck of a racket. I thought for certain that I was going to need new ones, but IIRC, the bill came to a whopping $20. Turns out that the noise was just due to dust build-up in the drums. They also tightened my parking brake cable in the process.
Whodathunk that Firestone would be that honest, with a blank check like that staring them in the face? :shock:

on my dodge i had a serious vibration problem in the rear end

when braking and at various odd times

i checked everything had brake guys check everything

nothing

turned out to be a hanging parking brake

Could you be getting axle wrap due to the larger tires?
Now that I think about it thats probably whats happening.

It makes sense when you take your description into account.
When you hit the brakes hard it loads the springs and stops the shake,when you hit them lightly there's not enough force to flex the springs.
But when you use them normally it loads and releases the spring causing the shudder.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back