Boycott bills stifling free speech

Why is it I think this wouldn't be a story if it was about an anti-boycotting bill protecting Islam or LGBFJB+?
Does this mean the poster is anti-Semitic?

Personally, I'm not huge fan of govt telling private industry about most things.
It's none of the govts business & if the state doesn't like what the business does, cancel the contracts.

Govt needs to stay in their lane & this goes both ways.
California & in particular San Fran are the leaders in rejecting businesses for political reasons.

Show me that bill and I will condemn it.

We all make decisions on where we spend our money. That is our right.
But using state power is just wrong. The implications of this are Orwellian.
That is why everyone was ticked off when it came to light that Twitter was coordinating with the federal government to put democrat approved messages out before the last presidential election.

Actually, I may have to reconsider, after reading this:

"As of May 2021, 35 states have passed anti-BDS laws, resolutions or executive orders. Most measures explicitly ban states from doing business with companies that support the BDS movement, while some non-binding resolutions merely condemn the movement.
Tennessee's April 2015 law, the nation's first anti-BDS law, echoed common criticisms of the BDS by arguing that the movement is "one of the main vehicles for spreading anti-Semitism and advocating the elimination of the Jewish state." South Carolina and Illinois were the next states to pass anti-BDS laws, doing so in June and July of 2015." Companies Boycotting Israel Can't Do Business With These U.S. States

This actually makes sense, and I don't see it as a "free speech" issue.

Last edited:

Apparently there are 30 states introducing these bills. I think that on the whole these are bad things.

Its one thing not to join in with a boycott but its quite another to compel others not to take part.

Where does this end ? Sacked for going on a pro abortion march ?

In relation to the anti Palestine bills it says they are funded by the Israeli govt. Even Russia never went that far.

America allegedly values free speech but now it seems you can only protest about approved subjects.

Scary stuff.
Oh, here we go. Another jew hating thread from Tommy.

"European Commissioner Thierry Breton announces that from August 25, social networks will be obliged to immediately remove "hateful content" or "calling for rebellion" on pain of being shut down across the EU""

So much for the fairy tale. About "free speech" under capitalism

No one is saying that someone can't boycott who they want, just that there will be consequences.
From the state?? Uh, no.
When the baker in Oregon wanted to boycott Gay Marriages, the libs literally crucified them and tried to put them out of business.
Too bad. We have to give up this general notion that the government is there to dictate matters of conscience. Social engineering doesn't work.

Forum List

Back