Bowling - not a "Sport"

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I noticed this afternoon as I was going out that there was a LIVE bowling event just starting. Yes, live. They decided for some reason to go through with it without a live audience. Featured performer was Jason Belmonte, an Australian who is, by almost all accounts, the best bowler who ever lived. The Babe Ruth of bowling. Good looking and personable, too.

So I went to ESPN to see if they have coverage of it. There was a feature story about Tiger Woods clipping his toenails, but no bowling. I searched "bowling" on their site, and the only result was the Bowling Green football team.

So I went to the Pro Bowler's Association website. No coverage. A note saying something to the effect that they know we miss bowling because they do too, and can't wait for bowling to start up again.

What the ever-loving fuck? I mean, if SOCCER is considered a sport, then SURELY bowling qualifies. I just don't get it.

If you're looking for sports not named "NFL" ................. ESPN is not the place to look. That's all they know.

On the other hand, speaking of things that REALLY aren't sports (besides golf), I seem to remember freaking card games. On TV. :wtf:

It was fun growing up in Akron Ohio where my best friend's parents and my parents were in the bowling league so we would always tag along - while they were bowling , we'd be shooting pool, playing foozball, pinball, and then space invaders when that came along. On the weekends we would ride our bikes up there a lot - about 12 miles.

The only so called sport that is no sport at all is hunting living creatures on this earth.

All the rest are sport I guess

That's only my personal opinion and GOD IS my witness.

I noticed this afternoon as I was going out that there was a LIVE bowling event just starting. Yes, live. They decided for some reason to go through with it without a live audience. Featured performer was Jason Belmonte, an Australian who is, by almost all accounts, the best bowler who ever lived. The Babe Ruth of bowling. Good looking and personable, too.

So I went to ESPN to see if they have coverage of it. There was a feature story about Tiger Woods clipping his toenails, but no bowling. I searched "bowling" on their site, and the only result was the Bowling Green football team.

So I went to the Pro Bowler's Association website. No coverage. A note saying something to the effect that they know we miss bowling because they do too, and can't wait for bowling to start up again.

What the ever-loving fuck? I mean, if SOCCER is considered a sport, then SURELY bowling qualifies. I just don't get it.
I consider bowling to be a sport, but more of a "game". You do NOT need to be athletic to bowl, or to be good at it. I'll always like bowling because it's the only sport that you can smoke and drink WHILE a participant. And THAT is very cool.

The only so called sport that is no sport at all is hunting living creatures on this earth.

Didn't Jesus win a few bass tournaments back in the day ?
1585108316133.png

Didn't Jesus win a few bass tournaments back in the day ?
View attachment 314977

Nice haul. I'd consider fishing, bowling, and hunting as sport. Isn't man supposed to be the most dangerous game?

This would not be sport, but it still gets a lot of eyeballs.

I consider bowling to be a sport, but more of a "game". You do NOT need to be athletic to bowl, or to be good at it. I'll always like bowling because it's the only sport that you can smoke and drink WHILE a participant. And THAT is very cool.
You can still smoke in bowling allies ?
There are most likely some that DO still allow smoking. Here in Indiana the bar or business establishment owner has the say on whether smoking is or is not allowed. Two restaurant/bar joints DO allow smoking in the town where I live. I'm sure there are others that have this that I haven't frequented.

Oh, I think you get it. They knew that bowling was going on and they consider it a sport, but lawyers and legal liability control everything and the network's lawyers obviously advised not to carry it for the "legal liability" that broadcasting it would have been construed as disregarding public safety and condoning organized public groups at a time when such things are publicly frowned upon! Welcome to the Kool-aid! Would you like the Grape or the Strawberry?

Besides, whatever other lies you are being told, the government is neither interested in nor cares about making this Covid freeze as painless as possible, in fact, they are banking on it hurting as much as possible and are, in fact, actively working to make it hurt as much as they can.

Smoke and drink? I don't believe you've been in a bowling ally for a while. No smoking. At least not in our state, Florida.

Now golf, smoking and drinking.

:D

If you're looking for sports not named "NFL" ................. ESPN is not the place to look. That's all they know.

On the other hand, speaking of things that REALLY aren't sports (besides golf), I seem to remember freaking card games. On TV. :wtf:
When I grew up, bowling was on tv every Sunday.

Smoke and drink? I don't believe you've been in a bowling ally for a while. No smoking. At least not in our state, Florida.

Now golf, smoking and drinking.

:D
Bowling helped pay my way through college! :D

In the bowling alleys where I bowl, smoking has been verboten for at least five years. We actually had some people quit bowling due to that change. Drinking is done, but not as much in The Old Days, and no glass containers, if you please.

And getting back to the point, ESPN considers auto racing (but not motocross) and professional "wrestling" to be sports, so why not Bowling?

Forum List

Back