Bowl Season kicks off today!

Harpy Eagle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2017
Best two weeks of sports in the the year outside of March Madness.

It is so much fun to watch these smaller teams play, you normally do not get a chance to see mthm

I know - I've been watching the Bahamas Bowl! The bowls (and their names) are pretty crappy, but like you, I enjoy watching the "other" Div 1 schools play and I never miss the Div 1a tournament.

Cheers

Only three bowl games do I watch, the three playoff games and that is it. The other games are meaningless and pointless.

Best two weeks of sports in the the year outside of March Madness.

It is so much fun to watch these smaller teams play, you normally do not get a chance to see mthm

I remember a few years back when I was following U of H closely because friend of the family had a player on the team and I'd watch him from time to time. Anyway as I recall (I stand to be corrected on this), if U of H won the last game of the year, they would go to either the Liberty or Independence bowl--I forget which. It was one of those bowl games that nobody wants to go to. If they lost, they would go to the Aloha Bowl. I was picturing the U of H players dropping balls, missing tackles, etc... for a free trip to Hawaii.

Only three bowl games do I watch, the three playoff games and that is it. The other games are meaningless and pointless.

It is called "entertainment", perhaps you have heard of it?

The two games yesterday were both close, competitive games that could have gone either way till the very end. Chances are the "playoff" games will not be this way, they normally are not.

The two games yesterday were both close, competitive games that could have gone either way till the very end. Chances are the "playoff" games will not be this way, they normally are not.
There are to many of them. But it is a reward for the players. A percentage of the bowls have near empty or half filled stadiums.

There are to many of them. But it is a reward for the players. A percentage of the bowls have near empty or half filled stadiums.

This is true, both games last night were half full. But they get their money via the TV contracts. There are 5 games today, I will not watch them all, but will watch parts of them.

Plays like this make them so much fun....

They also played one of the FCS semifinal games. Which was really the final with 2 and 3 playing and the 1 seed knocked out earlier in the tournament NDSU going for it's 9th NC I think.

Not entertaining to me, you like them, but it seems you like golf which is not entertaining to me either. To each their own. I am sure I watch shows or have hobbies you wouldn’t find entertaining. You posted your opinion and I posted mine.

Not at all true. Many of these bowls feature top level talent, there are certainly more than 4 good college football teams, and some would argue that a team like Michigan State or Ohio State could beat Cincinnati, who has not played anyone other than a typically overrated Notre Dame team.

The Rose Bowl will always be my favorite bowl game, but these smaller schools in these strangely named bowls I'll pass on watching. FCS is interesting, though, and powerhouse's SD State and ND State remain alive in the final four teams for the championship.

Gives a lot more teams and their fans an opportunity to go to a place with a pleasant climate and root on their alma maters.

Sounds good to me.

Watching Western Kentucky in the Boca Raton Bowl, their QB is a stud, and he just beat Joe Burrow's TD record for a single season, from his national championship year. And I'm glad to see them winning, considering Western Kentucky just got smashed by a deadly tornado.

Not at all true. Many of these bowls feature top level talent, there are certainly more than 4 good college football teams, and some would argue that a team like Michigan State or Ohio State could beat Cincinnati, who has not played anyone other than a typically overrated Notre Dame team.

The Rose Bowl will always be my favorite bowl game, but these smaller schools in these strangely named bowls I'll pass on watching. FCS is interesting, though, and powerhouse's SD State and ND State remain alive in the final four teams for the championship.
You clearly haven't watched UC play. Or haven't watched OSU or MSU play haha.

I’m glad you enjoy them, I really care about them, I spend my time on college basketball or other hobbies.

Not entertaining to me, you like them, but it seems you like golf which is not entertaining to me either. To each their own. I am sure I watch shows or have hobbies you wouldn’t find entertaining. You posted your opinion and I posted mine.

Fair point. Guess I am just a tad confused why you would even come into a thread about something you have not interest in. I would not open a poker thread just to tell people I had not interest in it.

Fair point. Guess I am just a tad confused why you would even come into a thread about something you have not interest in. I would not open a poker thread just to tell people I had not interest in it.

I know right.

I was wrapping Christmas gifts and didn't want to have anything on television that required close attention. So I had on the Independence Bowl. The weather was terrible, the field was terrible (really--try to catch some highlights), the match-up was BYU and University of Alabama-Birmingham. I had more people on my last zoom call than they had in the stands. But...It was pretty enjoyable and a close game to the end. UAB pulled off the upset.

Its not the time or the place of course but currently the Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl (that is the official name) is on right now. The taxpayers of Utah and the taxpayers of Oregon have sent their state funded university schools (Utah State and Oregon State) to LA to play in this bowl game. It would be tragic, I'm sure, to consider how many more students these schools could be educating if they were not taking part in this silly exercise. But I'm sure its a great experience for the players and coaches and those in attendance. And, as you said, it's about entertainment. In the time I was writing this post, the game came on, and OSU scored on 3 plays.

And best of all, when the game wraps up in a few hours, the players will not be in Shreveport!

I know right.

I was wrapping Christmas gifts and didn't want to have anything on television that required close attention. So I had on the Independence Bowl. The weather was terrible, the field was terrible (really--try to catch some highlights), the match-up was BYU and University of Alabama-Birmingham. I had more people on my last zoom call than they had in the stands. But...It was pretty enjoyable and a close game to the end. UAB pulled off the upset.

Its not the time or the place of course but currently the Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl (that is the official name) is on right now. The taxpayers of Utah and the taxpayers of Oregon have sent their state funded university schools (Utah State and Oregon State) to LA to play in this bowl game. It would be tragic, I'm sure, to consider how many more students these schools could be educating if they were not taking part in this silly exercise. But I'm sure its a great experience for the players and coaches and those in attendance. And, as you said, it's about entertainment. In the time I was writing this post, the game came on, and OSU scored on 3 plays.

And best of all, when the game wraps up in a few hours, the players will not be in Shreveport!

I have been watching the Liberty Bowl, and Liberty U is running away with it in the first half.

Forum List

Back