Bored question of the night. "How many men would you believe necessary to win a bared knuckle cage match to the death with a Silverback Gorilla?

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
A bored question as I am always amazed at Mother Nature and I'm taking a break from coding.

I could go further and ask how much you would be willing to accept (if anything) to get in the ring with such a fight on a sliding scale draped only in your boxers. Say from min. 4 others to max. 14 other men. You get $50M each to fight with 4 men, and $3M to fight with 14 others.

This question was raised between some friends many years ago and I remember a guy at the gym suggesting that one of the body builders of the day could probably win a match against a gorilla 1 on 1. I spit out my Gatorade at that suggestion and told him I'd bet my life on a $1M reward if I win that NO man who ever walked the planet would handle a full grown, healthy Silverback with only his fists as weapons.

Me personally, I wouldn't even accept it with 14 others guys because the chances, even if we did somehow prevail, is that a few of us would have our skulls crushed, and it isn't worth the risk if I'm that unfortunate sap. The site below provides some details and even addresses the question somewhat in some detail "could a human fight a gorilla".

For some reason I can't copy and paste the text due to the site format, but it's worth the visit if you are interested in facts on the Silverback. This one blew me away, "in fact, if you hit a fully grown Silverback way too hard (provided you're actually brave enough to walk up to him and do it), you will end up breaking your arm in the attempt". :auiqs.jpg:

The gorilla can be a million times stronger but the fight would be a stale mate, in effect. The humans are far more coordinated and the gorilla would have a really hard time getting a hold of them; meanwhile, the humans would need a weapon to even hurt the thing.

A bored question as I am always amazed at Mother Nature and I'm taking a break from coding.

I could go further and ask how much you would be willing to accept (if anything) to get in the ring with such a fight on a sliding scale draped only in your boxers. Say from min. 4 others to max. 14 other men. You get $50M each to fight with 4 men, and $3M to fight with 14 others.

This question was raised between some friends many years ago and I remember a guy at the gym suggesting that one of the body builders of the day could probably win a match against a gorilla 1 on 1. I spit out my Gatorade at that suggestion and told him I'd bet my life on a $1M reward if I win that NO man who ever walked the planet would handle a full grown, healthy Silverback with only his fists as weapons.

Me personally, I wouldn't even accept it with 14 others guys because the chances, even if we did somehow prevail, is that a few of us would have our skulls crushed, and it isn't worth the risk if I'm that unfortunate sap. The site below provides some details and even addresses the question somewhat in some detail "could a human fight a gorilla".

For some reason I can't copy and paste the text due to the site format, but it's worth the visit if you are interested in facts on the Silverback. This one blew me away, "in fact, if you hit a fully grown Silverback way too hard (provided you're actually brave enough to walk up to him and do it), you will end up breaking your arm in the attempt". :auiqs.jpg:

9 Donald J. Trumps. 3062 Jumpin' Joe Bidens. Both in their prime I'd say 5 Donald J. Trumps. 3011 Jumpin' Joes.

Never thought about this. But I did have a tremendous conversation/debate about who would win between a gorilla and a black bear of the same size. I thought the gorilla would have the advantage. If I were advising the gorilla I'd tell him to stay on the outside and pick and move.

The claws of the bear are something a gorilla would want to avoid.

I'm actually laughing at the question as I watch some videos of silverbacks caught in fights on the net. The only way I'd see a large number of average full grown men vs a full grown silverback would be distraction and confusion (how many would be sacrificed in the process, even if it worked?).

Ultimately, if it was a legitimate fight to the death, and the gorilla knew this, you're going to have 2 or 3 guys incapacitated within seconds. I'm watching some fight each other, and not even close to death, and they are lightning quick and stunningly strong. I don't even know how the approach would be by the human side. Punch? Grapple? Kick? I just don't even see any move other than some lucky eyes pokes by multiple guys.

There is no question, however many needed to walk in and win the fight, fewer humans will be walking out than who entered.

What are you drinking tonight?

Only water. I'd never harm nature, I avoid it and am a passive guy. I'd certainly not be interested in messing with a gorilla. I have collections of nature DVD's on animals, the ocean, earth etc and I'm always fascinated at these majestic animals.

It's one of those Doomsday questions and I think it reminds me of how wonderful, yet, dangerous the animal kingdom is.

Chimpanzee's and Orangutan's are much smaller than a Gorilla but are very strong and can easily kill a man. ... :cool:

Joe Rogan addresses the battle Silverback vs Grizzly and he takes the grizzly. I mean, who knows really, but I like the chances of the Silverback. They have a jaw TWICE as powerful as a lion.

Joe Rogan addresses the battle Silverback vs Grizzly and he takes the grizzly. I mean, who knows really, but I like the chances of the Silverback. They have a jaw TWICE as powerful as a lion.
Gorilla's are somewhat docile jungle creatures unless provoked.
Whereas, Grizzly's are ill tempered and will hunt down and viciously attack a person. :cool:

I once saw a stuffed Polar bear at a museum. It was standing up on its hind legs and was over 10 feet tall and weighed in excess of a thousand pounds. It would take an army of men to beat one of these beasts in a fight. ... :cool:

I once saw a stuffed Polar bear at a museum. It was standing up on its hind legs and was over 10 feet tall and weighed in excess of a thousand pounds. It would take an army of men to beat one of these beasts in a fight. ... :cool:

Yes, polar bears are the largest bear if I recall correctly and also the strongest. They hunt and attack walruses, I've seen one do so on a video series by BBC which I own, as it was desperate for food.

I suppose the interesting fact about the polar bear is that they are pure carnivores and are extremely experienced fighters. That would be a more difficult fight for a Silverback. Of course, such fights would never happen any more than men attacking a Silverback. These animals are quite impressive though.

Last edited:
Polar bears are awesome. So are Silverbacks. Then again...like you, I am a nature fan as well. I look forward to the weekends because its 24 hours of BBC Nature with David Attenborough.

Frankly... I don't care how many men try to do it. I revoke their man card because they aren't smart enough to even be considered human to try to take on a silverback with nothing but their hands.

The ONLY way any human being should fight a silverback with is bare hands is if he absolutely had no other choice. The silverback ATTACKED YOU and you and you fought for your life. I get that. GO FOR THE EYES!

The gorilla can be a million times stronger but the fight would be a stale mate, in effect. The humans are far more coordinated and the gorilla would have a really hard time getting a hold of them; meanwhile, the humans would need a weapon to even hurt the thing.
City boy there.

Forum List

Back