Bomb Maker Leaving Gitmo

Compost

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2015
It's OK. These guys are rehabilitated.

The Pentagon on Thursday announced the transfer of two Guantánamo detainees, including an al Qaeda explosives expert who developed bombs to target U.S. forces.

Tariq Mahmoud Ahmed al-Sawah, 58, was transferred to Bosnia, where he holds citizenship. He is an admitted member of the terror group who developed specialized bombs, or improvised explosive devices (IEDs), to use against U.S. military forces and civilians, according to his official file posted by The New York Times.

"These IEDs included the limpet mine to sink US naval vessels and the prototype for the shoe-bomb used in a failed attack on a civilian transatlantic flight," his file said.
Al-Sawah's file also notes that while he will possibly reestablish "extremist associations," his cooperation with the U.S. government makes it unlikely he will do so.
The review board set up by President Obama to review remaining detainee transfers decided to release him last February.

The Pentagon also announced the transfer of Abd al-Aziz Abduh Abdallah Ali al-Suwaydi, a 41-year-old Yemeni, to Montenegro.

Al-Suwaydi admitted to being an explosives trainer, according to his files posted by the Times.

Thursday's transfers mark the 15th and 16th of January. They are part of the president's bid to release as many detainees as possible in order to bring the remaining detainees to the U.S. and close the prison.

The latest transfers bring the total number of detainees remaining at the prison to 91. One more detainee is scheduled to be transferred this month.

Pentagon releases al Qaeda bomb expert from Guantánamo

no worries, they've been implanted with a microchip so we can track their every move :badgrin:

It baffles me that Americans place such a great store on liberty and freedom, yet are prepared to put up with an obscenity like Guantanamo.

They will both come to the US as refugees. It's all good.

Well the country does owe them something for being imprisoned without trial.
They aren't criminals. They don't get a trial.

As awful as it might be, there would certainly be an element of humor in a released bomb maker letting a few off in American malls or schools. Admit it, you got a chuckle from the blast in Boston.

As awful as it might be, there would certainly be an element of humor in a released bomb maker letting a few off in American malls or schools. Admit it, you got a chuckle from the blast in Boston.

I dont think that I would like to be imprisoned without trial for years on end. I dont think that you would either. Isnt that the over mighty state oppressing the individual ?

I dont think that I would like to be imprisoned without trial for years on end. I dont think that you would either. Isnt that the over mighty state oppressing the individual ?
You don't think you'd like to be imprisoned without trial? Don't become a terrorist.

You don't think you'd like to be imprisoned without trial? Don't become a terrorist.

Thats cracking advice which I am sure we all appreciate.

The point here is that they are alleged terrorists.

Put them on trial and convict them of these terrible crimes.

Doesnt your constitution cover this ?

=================================================
Put them on trial. Sounds good. Where? At the UN?

You got it all figured out, Mr. I am here to learn. What do you suggest we do with terror suspects?

They are not Americans. They have no rights under the US Constitution.

You got it all figured out, Mr. I am here to learn. What do you suggest we do with terror suspects?

They were captured on a battlefield during a war. They are not shoplifters.

Doesnt your constitution cover this ?
While they might be terrorists, they were not captured as terrorists but as enemy combatants. No they are not entitled to Constitutional protections. No law of jurisprudence applies.

They are not Americans. They have no rights under the US Constitution.

Terrorism is a criminal act and they should be dealt with according to the laws that govern terrorism. Allowing the state to get away with this is setting a dangerous precedent for future generations. Surely you can see that ?

[/QUOTE]
While they might be terrorists, they were not captured as terrorists but as enemy combatants. No they are not entitled to Constitutional protections. No law of jurisprudence applies.[/QUOTE]

They do have rights as prisoners of war. If they are terrorists it makes more sense to try them as terrorists than release them as prisoners of war.
The current situation is shocking and counter productive.

Forum List

Back